“worst hotel experience”

Dunes Inn - Wilshire
Ranked #248 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 26 February 2014

It took us over 2 hours to get checked in. One hour waiting for the gentleman at the desk to help the guests before us, and at least an hour for us. He was very rude; the two times he stopped helping the people in front of him to answer the phone, he was very aggressive to the person on the other line and argued with them for what seemed like an eternity while we were standing there waiting. He made me call his boss to ask if they can reduce the 100 dollar deposit to 50 dollars. He made everything extremely complicated and scolded us for going through hotels.com instead of just booking the room there. He lectured my boyfriend and I as if we were children. Upon finally gaining access to our room, we realized all of that wasn't even worth it. They request 100 deposit for what? An out-dated tv? the tacky furniture? The room wasn't even that much. There is no view that they claim. the microwave is outside by the pool. However, If you speak chinese or spanish there are many channel options on tv. There is also a large mirror in front of the bed if you should be feeling frisky..

Room Tip: the 300 rooms have an excellent view of the parking lot out the bathroom window if you stand on the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica R
Josh P, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Hi, We are sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your experience. We always try to ensure the fastest and easiest check-in for our guests. Above all else, providing excellent customer service is our main goal and it is unfortunate you were not treated with the respect you deserve. Given the opportunity, we would like to make things right for you on your next stay.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We need to clean room before doing anything.Removed comforter because it was dirty.Free wifi breakfast across the road.Hotel was close the area we needed.Won't stay there again it needed to be updated.We got the wrong room but to tired to switch our room.Quality inn was better price than Dunn.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Josh P, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Janine W,

I cannot apologize enough that you had such a negative experience at our hotel. Nonetheless, I would like to thank you for your candid review and for highlighting the deficiencies you encountered as they can only help us to improve. I sincerely hope that during your next visit to Los Angeles you will give us the opportunity to show the qualities of our hotel in which we are exceedingly proud of. Thank you.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We needed a hotel for a night, so we stayed here at the Dunes Inn. We booked online and were able to get our room, but a lot of other people did not get rooms. We waited for about 30 minutes before we could get checked in. The front desk man spent most of the time on the phone yelling at someone about how they were booking too many people and that they were full for the night. After the phone call it took him 10 minutes to fill out our paper work. He then proceeded to take 2 more phone calls before giving us our key. The room was okay. At 4 AM the people upstairs came back and were very loud... If you just need a place to stay for the night this place will do, but I wouldn't ever stay for more than that

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Josh P, Front Office Manager at Dunes Inn - Wilshire, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear Lngo05,

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Los Angeles, however we are very sorry for the slow check-in time you experienced. We always strive to make check-ins fast and easy for our guests. Sometimes the evening rush can complicate this.

We understand that it is the small things that turn an ordinary experience into an extraordinary one. We will be certain to use your feedback to better our future guest experience. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I only needed a room for one night. It was reasonably priced, conveniently located and I had good customer service, which is why I rated it Very Good instead of Average. I left an item in the room and they were very accommodating about arrangements to get it back to me. The décor is vintage late eighties. The bed is average, the TV is old but it works. The bathroom had been recently upgraded, the shower had good output and it was all very clean. The surroundings felt safe and it was quiet all night. There were no frills, but, I would easily stay here again. **There is no hair dryer in the room**

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor which, I think, helped to minimize noise from the pool area early in the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Had to work at another Beverly Hills property the following morning so booked the DI about 5 miles away on Wilshire.

Arrived around 10:30 p.m. and checked in by very nice gentlemen who had my key ready. Easy check-in and then parked in a spot just seconds away from check-in. Booked on line the day before with hotels.com

Room average but large and even had a kitchenette. Some furniture a little worn but it looks like they are upgrading as they go. My shower looked like new tile with even a glass tile insert around the middle border. Very nice.

Bed comfortable but keep in mind there is some traffic noise but not too bad if you keep the bathroom window shut. Old time heating register but heat clicked on right away and was comfortable.

Kitchenette looks like something still there for many years but nothing you would really want to use. Some water was leaking out of the mini-refrigerator on the floor. Looked in the kitchenette cupboards that looked like they were the old-style aluminum not wood types. A few weird dishes. Anyway didn't care because I wasn't going to be staying anyway. It didn't interfere with the comfort of the room.

Last of all the drapes. I could not get the edge of the drape to completely block the view from the outside. Anyone passing by and looking through the small crack could see anyone's reflection in the room mirror. Since people can walk by the room very easily it was uncomfortable.

There is a pool but the pool chairs few and just straps - no cushions, so not looking very comfortable. The entire hotel interior surrounds pool so not sure how much sun would hit the pool in the daytime.

Anyway found on Hotels.com and the price was excellent. For that price would stay again on a short term or overnight stay.

Room Tip: Gave excellent to restaurant and fitness center because I had to check a box. Don't know what t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank nshugg
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I didn't get the room that was advertised on the internet, the front door to my room had soda or coffee stains all over, the bathroom door had make-up and the stains of the front of the door, No screen on the window (2nd Floor) and the TV did not work. I pointed these things out to the person @ the front desk he came to my room and told me he would be sure to get the TV repaired or change my room the next day. I asked if could get a discount because of my inconvience , he said no he was not the owner. I spoke to the daytime desk person the next day about the Tv not working he said maybe it was a switch.The TV never worked and I was not given another room nor a discount.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Stayed there for a couple of nights. The location between Hollywood and downtown is convenient, though this is definitely a no-frills sort of place. Bathroom had been recently redone though room was otherwise unmemorable and old. A good place if you're on a budget and want a relatively "central" location in LA. No breakfast though, a car is a must.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple