“Not very good ...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #215 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Luzern
“Not very good ...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2010

The nightshift did Not Know Anything about our Reservation. He Gabe us a Small Room witsch smelled from the old carpet. No fridge, microwave or kettle. We cant recommend the Hotel. Too Bad because it is really Central and in a nice quarter.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Vienna, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2010

I used to stay at The Dunes on every trip to LA. during the late 90's to about 2004. I'm very sad to say that this hotel has really gone down to the dogs.
(I would however not even let my pet stay here)

I was absolutely appalled with my room, even after getting another room which turned out to be even worse than the first. I was locked in due to the result of having my card charged, staying one night, when initially my stay was to be 3 nights.
I slept with my clothes on INCLUDING my shoes, the carpet? OMG!! Sticky to my shoes. There is simply nothing pleasant to say about this property to date.

Maybe back before my time, (I'm 50), she was majestic. But now this property is TIRED, TACKY, & TASTELESS.

I highly recommend the Wilshire Plaza and the Ramada right down the street.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2010

Really the price is very, very low for LA and the neighborhood is very nice (Hancock Park) even if the hotel itself is budget. Dad came in from out of town without having reserved anywhere and he needed a place quick--he stayed here because it's as far away from a scary neighborhood as I could get. VERY basic but safe, clean and in a nice neighborhood.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
Biloxi, Mississippi
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

Wife's sister recommended this place as close to her apartment. The place had been remodeled but was still dumpy. No amenities ... had to use a coffee machine near the pool and of course no continental breakfast.
The bed was bad and I was glad to leave after two nites stay. No restaurants within walking distance and scary place at nite there. Glad they had good, secure parking with plently of spaces as hardly anyone was staying there.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chuck W
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2008

I was travelling with a group of motorcyclists who found ourselves cruising the streets of LA late at night with no room reserved. We stumbled across the Dunes Inn - Wilshire. The clerk was friendly enough and accomodating. The room itself was small and some what outdated. It was reasonably comfortable and at $100 for three adults not over priced. I have come to expect a bit more however. We spent ten nights on the road in seven different states and this was the only hotel that did not have a coffee maker in the room nor was there coffee in the lobby the following morning. The nearest source for coffee was a 7-11 six blocks away. Over all the room worked in a pinch. I am unlikely to stay here again as I believe I can find a newer place with more amenities for a similar price in LA.

• Liked — Fairly close to Hollywood attractions. Also fairly close to bad neighborhoods.
  • Disliked — Lack of amenities such as coffee standard in other hotels.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank RGD64
Tel Aviv, Israel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2007

The hotel's location is good and the guy at the night shift did is best to help me.

all other things was TERRIBLE.

I was transferd from room to room 4 times (!)

in the first room - the shower was broken, so i was moved..

then - the toilet was broken.. so i was transferd to another room.

guess what? the bath was out of order...

I would recomend finding another place, maybe a bigger

hotel/motel network that you can count on...

• Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Lepnor
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2007

Well, I needed a place to stay in Los Angeles for a night. (I live in LA but needed a place to sleep near my office for a night). This place was REALLY close to my office. They have another location on Sunset that I drive by all the time. So I gave it a show. $80 something for the night. I have to say, the man behind the desk was HORRIBLE! He was behind a 3 inch thick bullet proof glass. Half the time, you couldnt hear a word he said. And he really wasnt happy working there (And I think he must be the owner) He has NO CLUE as to what he was doing. He made numerous errors and even tried to charge me for 2 nights when I was only staying one (He said I told him2 ) It was rough . A process that should have taken 10 minutes, ended up taking 35 minutes. The rooms were ok. Clean enough for the money. My advise, spend alittle more money and stay somewhere else... The are isnt great. Not very safe at night.

• Stayed April 2007