Dunes Inn - Wilshire
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Rotex Plaza Hotel(Los Angeles)
View Hotel
Oxford Palace Hotel(Los Angeles)
  • Pool
View Hotel
JJ Grand Hotel(Los Angeles)
The LINE(Los Angeles)
  • Pool
Hotel Normandie(Los Angeles)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsparking spaces aretar pitsbudget hotela great place to staydowntown
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 October 2010

What we liked: The Bathroom was nearly luxurious and very clean, shower was good, the bed was ok and clean, the room was clean, the manager was very friendly and courteous
Not so good: It had an old carpet and the (wooden?) floor was sqeaking when you walked over it. My friend said the room smelled bad but I did not smell it....

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2010

After a full day in LA, we found ourselves too exhausted to drive home, with nowhere to stay. The Ramada Wilshire Center had no vacancies, but we drove a little bit and stumbled upon Dunes Inn. The location was great for us, relatively close to the Wiltern Theater (not walking distance though), and the mostly residential neighborhood--Hancock Park--was quiet and safe. (By safe, I mean, the only entrance is manned by a watchful clerk; there are no vagrants around; nearby are expensive condos, houses, and a few churches; and I would feel comfortable walking around the block, though the streets are quite dark.) The bed was comfortable, but not luxurious. The tv worked fine. Best of all, the bathroom must have been recently renovated, because it was impeccably clean with a nice granite countertop and new tilework. There was a refrigerator, a pool in the atrium, wifi, and a few rooms with a small kitchen, but we didn't use these and can't comment. Since we didn't pay full price, the room was a really great deal. Parking was free and greatly appreciated; since the neighborhood is not within walking distance of restaurants, night life, etc., you'd want to visit with a car. As a side note, some nearby places to visit by car: charming Larchmont Village, Koreatown, Griffith Park & Observatory, Downtown/Japantown, and LACMA. To summarize, Dunes Inn Wilshire is like a Travelodge but with a fancier, cleaner bathroom, and we'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank passiflorabear
Reviewed 19 April 2010

The nightshift did Not Know Anything about our Reservation. He Gabe us a Small Room witsch smelled from the old carpet. No fridge, microwave or kettle. We cant recommend the Hotel. Too Bad because it is really Central and in a nice quarter.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2010

I used to stay at The Dunes on every trip to LA. during the late 90's to about 2004. I'm very sad to say that this hotel has really gone down to the dogs.
(I would however not even let my pet stay here)

I was absolutely appalled with my room, even after getting another room which turned out to be even worse than the first. I was locked in due to the result of having my card charged, staying one night, when initially my stay was to be 3 nights.
I slept with my clothes on INCLUDING my shoes, the carpet? OMG!! Sticky to my shoes. There is simply nothing pleasant to say about this property to date.

Maybe back before my time, (I'm 50), she was majestic. But now this property is TIRED, TACKY, & TASTELESS.

I highly recommend the Wilshire Plaza and the Ramada right down the street.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 February 2010

Really the price is very, very low for LA and the neighborhood is very nice (Hancock Park) even if the hotel itself is budget. Dad came in from out of town without having reserved anywhere and he needed a place quick--he stayed here because it's as far away from a scary neighborhood as I could get. VERY basic but safe, clean and in a nice neighborhood.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo