“Good room, poor service.”

Best Western Plus Dragon Gate Inn
Ranked #86 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Riga, Latvia
“Good room, poor service.”
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Best Western is my frequent choice for business trips. But I was really disappointed about this hotel.
Positive point: room was big, well-furnished and equipped.
Negative points:
1) Internet wasn’t reliable; sometimes it didn’t work at all.
2) Room wasn’t cleaned properly.
3) Breakfast was very, very poor.
4) During my 7 night stay, my room key stopped working for 5 times. Same happened to other people.
In general, it wasn’t so bad. Considering price and quality ratio it was acceptable. However this hotel doesn’t keep up to Best Western standards.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank RaimondsD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
California
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Only the Dragon Suite was available when I booked the hotel so I was a bit reluctant. The hotel had come highly recommended to me by colleagues, however, so I booked it. What a pleasant surprise! A REAL suite separated by a REAL door between the living room and bedroom with a large TV in each. Each room also had individually controlled AC units which was also a big plus. A very comfortable bed made for a very restful sleep. And then to walk in to the bathroom and find a separate shower and WHIRLPOOL spa. Ahhhhh! I was on a pleasure trip this time, but knowing they have free internet access and a breakfast available, I will definitely book this hotel on my next business trip. And with it's central location, i might even bring along some of the family, too. Thank you, staff, for a wonderful visit!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank catta123
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 2 April 2011

Compare to the room rate, I think it's quite ok. The rooms were big enough for two persons in 1 room. All facilities in the room.

Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank annchan0806
Bristol, England
Reviewed 12 March 2011

Great location, very central and only 5 minutes from Union Street station where we arrived on an Amtrak. Easy to get to metro or buses for visits to Hollywood, Universal Studios etc. Possible to walk to downtown area in 15/20 minutes. Chinatown was nice to wander around and had a couple of nice meals but nowhere to just have a local drink and no sign of a bar or other food other than Chinese. We were there for a week so found it a bit boring after a while. Had a nice meal at Traax in the station but otherwise had to go downtown. Hotel was fine, breakfast OK but almost certainly had English money stolen out of my purse while we were there which I didn't realise until we got home. Rooms at the hotel were a good size and had no other complaints.

new york
Reviewed 28 February 2011

I came to Los Angeles for the NBA Allstar game. I couldn't find a room that was under $300 near the Staples Center where all the games were at. So I found the Dragon Gate Inn located in Chinatown. The price was really reasonable about $179 compared to everywhere else. I was a bit nervous because you always hear about the crime and Chinatown isn't known for always being clean. I'm from New York so, our Chinatown is pretty bad. I would asume LA Chinatown was the same.

I checked in with a bit of an NY attitude, but the staff made me feel welcomed and showed me how to get around town with out using my car. I didn't know that there was a $10 charge for parking, howvever, when I found out that most places in Downtown Los Angeles charge around $30 this was a bargain.

You get free breakfast and free internet.. I asked about the wifi and the sfaff said it was designed for people to use outside of their rooms for those who want to smoke and that inside the room the internet has a direct cable for faster service.

For the price, i will definately stay again. Next time I'm going to try to have some Chinese food, didn't get a chance since all the games were at the Staple Center.

The property is just steps from the Metro line and you can go just about anywhere from there with out your car.

1 Thank rjames868
Murrieta, California
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I wouldn't stay at this hotel if someone was holding a gun to my head!! First of all, we booked this room last minute b/c it was "downtown" and the rate was $99. Upon check-in, we were informed that we had to pay $10 to park. We had no choice since there is virtually no parking along the street. The underground parking is tiny and horrible! All the spaces were full, so the attendant had to park us in the disabled parking space (without a placard). After I checked in, I went upstairs to the room only to find a man and woman leaving out of the same room! I went back downstairs and demanded they give me a different room. The clerk changed my room to 205. On my way back upstairs, some random guy with tattoos on his head asked me if he can hide out in my room!!! He followed me halfway to my room telling me that he was running from the police and asking for shelter!! WTF?? I also couldn't sleep because I heard EVERYTHING going on in the next room!! I ended up leaving the same night I checked in...cutting my losses. When I returned home and checked my bank account, I found that I had been charged twice for one nights stay. One charge for the room+tax and one charge for the room+tax and parking. I called the hotel to let them know. The same clerk answered and denied the mistake. I spoke with a manger "Tony" who said he will "check into it" and call me back. As of this review, I am still waiting for the call back. I eneded up filing a claim with my bank. DANGER!!!!!PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!!!!!

2 Thank MsNR1029

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Stayed at the Dragon Gate for two nights after arriving in LA at Union Station which is about 15 minutes walk away. The neighborhood seamed fairly safe although not very vibrant compared to chinatown areas in other cities. Initial impressions weren't good at all though. It's an ugly concrete building arranged around a courtyard and the whole place appeared dark and deserted. I hit a small gong on the desk in reception and a member of staff soon appeared and checked me in.

My room was on the first floor and was pitch black. The corridor was badly lit as well, so I spent what seamed like several minutes fumbling around trying to find the light switch. Eventually I used the glow from my MP3 player to locate the bathroom light, and subsequently found the main room light switch in a cupboard. Why did they put it in there?? Despite this, the room was actually really nice and tastefully decorated with a few chinese touches. The coffee made using the machine tasted absolutely vile, which I presume was the fault of the coffee maker itself as the tap water tasted fine.

Breakfast is actually served in a shop in the courtyard (you get a voucher when checking in). The staff there were seriously miserable. Choice was really limited compared to other Best Western hotels. Just a few cereals, bread, cakes and ugly looking bananas, although they can make you waffels if you ask.

Location isn't bad. It's perhaps 20 minutes walk into the city centre and there is a metro station just around the corner. The Dragon Gate hotel was much cheaper than any alternatives in central LA, so if you can put up with the ugly exterior I'd definately recommend it. All the hotel staff I spoke to were friendly and helpful and the rooms themselves are clean, quiet and comfortable

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo