“good quality/price”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Madrid
“good quality/price”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

It was a good comfortable hotel, it's kind of old, but really nice. The rooms are wide and equipped, with a refrigerator, freezer and microwave. Big and comfortable beds. Clean.

The guy at the front desk at the chekin wasn't helpfull, but the one in the tourism desk was really helpfull and friendly.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Mayfair Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Candela C, thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us about your recent stay. I am delighted that your experience was comfortable and satisfying. Thank you for your comments about our concierge, I will definitely pass it along and I apologize for the service you received from our Front Desk agent. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. I would like to inform you that the hotel will undergo a full renovation top to bottom starting in a couple of months. There are lots of exciting things happening at the Mayfair. Please come back and see all the improvements. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your next visit. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We managed to book this hotel through the daily deal on expedia so it was only $55 a night. At that price I cannot complain. However if I were to pay more, I certainly would! We could see that it used to be a grand hotel and the location is smack dab in the center of town. As it was, the rooms were clean. The accomodations rather sparce. The service desk person was very helpful and friendly. The only real complaint we had was the lack of blankets. The bed only had one very thin one and when we tried to get more, the staff were unable to find any. So we froze most of the night. Otherwise it was a surprisingly quiet hotel with very little outside noise, the views were great. The bathroom was small but serviceable. As I mentioned, everything was clean, but showed extreme wear. Apparently they are planning on renovating the hotel. If that were the case, then this place could be a really nice spot and worth more for a stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nicolette H
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Mayfair Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Nicolette H, thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay. We appreciate your comments both positive and where we need to improve. It's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes the staff for their warm and friendly service and takes the time to share that with us. Our upcoming renovation will start very soon and will address a number of the issues you highlighted while we continue to focus on our exceptional service. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit. Mike Shoffit, General Manager
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I had to find a room last minute and most reasonably priced hotels in the area were booked, so I tried this one. Yuck! I almost left not caring if I lost the $100 or so bucks, but stuck it out. The carpet was only vacuumed in the area towards the door. On the other side of the bed, the old carpeting looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in a long time. Gross! There were also iron marks burned well into the carpeting with big black triangles by the front of the room. The furniture looked like stuff one could find abandoned in front of a house after an eviction -- old 70's (and not funky-cool either) with big pieces of veneer chipped off everywhere. The ugly orange paint on the walls had big splotches of paint missing and the walls were dirty (so it matched the hideous dirty red carpet perfectly). I could hear everything through the walls and in the hall, and the hallway ice machine woke me up several times in the night. The drain in the bathtub was just sitting on top of the hole, so when water hit it the drain would move to the side and the water wouldn't drain properly. At least the towels and sheets appeared clean. The only good thing was customer service. They were nice and professional and quickly refunded a parking overcharge. Wish I had taken photos to share. I will never stay here again.

1 Thank TravelKatts
Dear Travelkatts, thank you for taking your valuable time to share your feedback about your recent stay. We appreciate your comments both positive and where we need to improve. We strive to ensure each guest is provided with excellent service and we apologize if that did not occur. While we look forward to our upcoming renovation that will address a number of the issues you highlighted, we will look to improve upon the service we provide. A lot of new exciting things are happening at the Mayfair, I hope you consider visiting us again as we are committed towards an exceptional guest experience and would like the opportunity to recover. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your next visit. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I booked the room online after reading reviews that suggested not walking in the neighborhood after dark. But not only is this a clean place with a lovely old-LA lobby and great rates for its location, I walked back from my convention at the Bonaventure late evenings (around 9 pm) alone with no problem. Just walk across the Harbor Freeway along Wilshire past the fancy high rise condos and Good Samaritan Hospital, then drop down to the hotel along Witmer! Heading south along Witmer you'll pass a Mexican restaurant at the corner of Wilshire and Witmer that looks REALLY good, a small Hispanic family market where you can pick up a Mexican pastry, and then you're right at the hotel. It's not a fancy place, but with some redecorating this could be a boutique hotel. Yes the bathroom is small, but it was very clean and moderately updated, with thick fluffy towels. I'll definitely stay here my next convention in LA.

2 Thank CalGal5870
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Mayfair Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear CalGal5870, thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us about your recent stay. We could not be more pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our team goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as yours. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your next visit. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager
Encinitas, California
Reviewed 11 March 2014

While the Historic Mayfair is an older hotel, it is in great condition. One should not expect five star illustrious appointments, but a very comfortable and satisfying stay. The bathrooms are quite small and somewhat inconvenient but you can make do. I imagine when built the hotel had shared toilets and baths as in many older boutique hotels. I further imagine the Mayfair was upgraded to baths in every room causing some inadvertant inconveniences. However, if you keep the historic part in mind it is understandable and adds to the experience. I will stay there whenever in downtown LA for its convenient location and reasonable rates.

2 Thank tom w
Dear Tom W, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We could not be more pleased that your experience was satisfying and comfortable. I would like to inform you that our upcoming transformation will starts in a few months and will address some of the issues you highlighted. There are lots of exciting things happening at the Mayfair. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Very disappointed with this hotel.
I previously left a more positive review, but took it down as I spent far too long contacting this hotel about an issue and I wanted this review to show how we have been treated since staying there around six weeks ago.
My mother bought my boyfriend a really nice new business shirt for Christmas, as he has just gotten a new job he worked really hard for. He took it on our trip to the states, intending to wear it on NYE. We checked out of this hotel on the 30th of December, 2013. My partner left the shirt hanging in the hotel, as he put it up so it wouldn't get wrinkled but forgot to pack it back up. We immediately contacted the hotel to let them know, and we were told someone would call us back. No one ever did. We followed up with emails. After being totally ignored we decided that the next time we were in LA a few weeks later we would make a special trip to the hotel to collect the shirt. As this hotel is located in Downtown LA (we didn't realise how far away from everything this hotel was when we booked it) we had to make a trip there JUST for the shirt. we were told that because we didn't call ahead they were going to refuse to open up lost property. We tried explaining we did call ahead and no one got back to us, and that we were flying home to Australia that night and wouldn't be able to get it, but they were very abrupt and didn't care that we had been ignored for so long. We had to rush to return the car we hired just to get the shirt back so we couldn't stay and argue forever. we were really upset at how we were treated and flat out denied our own property. in the last two weeks ive emailed the hotel images of the shirt as well as told them what happened. I requested that they post it to us in Australia because it isn't fair that we should pay postage when we have spent money and time trying to collect it already. Despite so many emails, we are yet to hear even a peep out of the hotel. Any good experience we may have had at the hotel are totally lost now because the hotel has not dealt with us nicely since. I wish I could have left my original review up which was much nicer, but I am just so disappointed that we have been absolutely ignored and disregarded by what had potential to be a nice enough establishment. I would not stay here or recommend it as I like it when people acknowledge you instead of pretend you don't exist. Still waiting to hear back from the hotel, I am hoping they will deal with it so I can modify my review to reflect their efforts for their customers... maybe they will but I think six weeks and several emails is just too much.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank JodyTD
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Mayfair Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear JodyTD, please let me apologize for the problems you encountered in retrieving your lost shirt. It never should have been so difficult to get information about the lost item. It was a real breakdown in communication on our part. I am delighted that we found the shirt and that it has been mailed out to you as of Thursday Feb.20, 2014. Hopefully you will receive it shortly. Again my apologies. When your travels bring you back to LA please give us a call. We would love to have a second chance to make your total stay enjoyable. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager
London
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Could be much better with the price paid. when asked for a larger room possible small room, Stained my 2 shirt, no initiative to even apology. Room condition could be much better AC filthy and noisy, Curtain does not close properly. Some of the cupboard does not open properly.The location is so scary that you do not dare to walk at night alone.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank himalayatrekking
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Mayfair Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear himalayatrekking, thank you for taking your valuable time to share your feedback about your recent stay. My sincerest apology for the inconvenience this might have caused you. The lack of response was unacceptable. I will deal with that through additional training. While we look forward to our upcoming transformation this spring that will address a number of the issues you highlighted, we will look to improve upon the service we provide. A lot of new exciting things are happening at the Mayfair, I hope you consider visiting us again as we are committed towards an exceptional guest experience and would like the opportunity to recover. Thank you again for your comments. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager.