“Exactly what we needed”

The Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #243 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We travelled here as a family of four women arriving mid morning we were able to check in and then we decided to go sightseeing to keep us awake after our long flight. The concierge was very helpful, 7 Eleven next door and also a laundromat. To the left of the hotel was a Spanish speaking district which can be a little daunting to some, but to the right of the hotel and a little walk your in downtown LA business district. The hotel was not new and modern but it was clean and our room which was a double/double was a good size for us and also a reasonable price, Transport was great with a bus stop out the front door and a short walk would take you to downtown subway.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank SSCREW
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Mayfair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear SS Crew, Thank you for taking time to let us know about your recent stay at The Mayfair. I am delighted to hear that it was "Exactly what you needed". The Mayfair does have a great location and it is easy to get to all the attractions either walking downtown or on the Metro to all the other areas.

The Mayfair will be starting a full renovation of the hotel in September of this year. We will redo all the guest rooms and all the public space. It is going to be very exciting and you will not recognize the Mayfair one year from now. Please come back next year and experience the "New" Mayfair. You will be very pleased. Thanks again for letting us know about your recent visit. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Nice front office staff. Very cooperative. Newly done up rooms.
Wish they provided free Internet in room and had a resturant for dinner. They have arrangements for local sightseeing , airport shuttle etc.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Gautam G
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Mayfair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Gautam G, thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay. We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgement of a positive nature. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes the staff for their warm and friendly service and takes the time to share that with us, rest assured your comments will be passed. While we are looking forward to our upcoming transformation, we will continue to focus on our exceptional service. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your next visit. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stay away from this hotel! Unless you have an emergency situation, I would not recommend this hotel. The hotel is extremely dated, and there were stains all over the floor in our room. It's worth it to pay a lil extra and stay at a nicer hotel. Don't be fooled by the 4 star reviews on here.

Pros- AC, tv (but it's a very old set), hot shower, clean sheets (I guess), Iron

Cons- We purchased a package for free breakfast, but the hotel would NOT honor the purchase! They said we need to speak with the travel site we booked with for a refund! I'm not sure why they are allowing a travel site to advertise a free breakfast that they are not going to honor. Very poor customer service. They were not accomodating at all. When we walked into the room, we had to ask the maid to give us a shower curtain (???), and for 2 of our 3 day stay we had to call and ask for clean towels.

Thank God we did not have to spend much of our time here. The management should really be ashamed to be running a poor establishment like this.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kristen C

Dear Kristen C, thank you for taking time to let us know about your recent visit to the Mayfair. Let me apologize for the poor service you received. There is no excuse for not having the shower curtain already in the room. We do take them down on a regular basis to clean them but the room should have been inspected prior to any guest arrival. If you needed towels in the early morning you would have to call for new ones. If it was after the room was cleaned then again that is a housekeeping issue. While I don't like hearing these things, it guests like you that help us get better.

As far as the hotel being "tired", I want to let you know that in September we will be starting a full renovation of the Mayfair. The project will take approximately a year and will include all the guest rooms and all the public space. You will not recognize The Mayfair in the future. I invite you back to see the "New" Mayfair late next year. Thanks again for taking time to let me know about your stay at the Mayfair. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I really didn't like this hotel, in fact we left before the second night of our reservation. It is cheap and you do get what you pay for but this was a bit much. The rug was dirty. Some people complained the headboards in their rooms were broken. We didn't have any. There were sheets on the bed without a comforter. The bathroom was small, which is OK. BUT the hair dryer was plugged into an extension cord which had to be over the sink to plug in. If you are left handed you are lucky that you will be able to blow dry your hair. Being right handed presented a problem. My arm kept hitting the wall. You have to shut the bathroom door to get in the tub.

My feet were BLACK after a short time of walking around. I had to (close the door to) wash my feet. It is well worn and tired. I read a review where the person said suck it up. Well, that's true. If you want to go cheap and really don't care, then stay there. I personally couldn't do it.

Also, I have researched and researched and I can't figure out how it is "historic". There are videos on YouTube which are funny but truly show the rooms.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Renee L
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Mayfair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Renee L, thank you for taking your valuable time to share your feedback about your recent stay. We're certainly disappointed to hear how badly your stay went. We strive to ensure each guest is provided with excellent service and we apologize if that did not occur. While we look forward to our upcoming renovation that will address all of the issues you highlighted, we will look to improve upon the service we provide. A lot of new exciting things are happening at the Mayfair, I hope you consider visiting us again as we are committed towards an exceptional guest experience and would like the opportunity to recover. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your next visit. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I only stayed one night here, and had an extremely small room..I could just enter the room and jump into bed (almost). The bath was small too with old utilities

The positive side:
- Great view over the city
- Location reported to downtown and bus lines
- Great & helpful personal..
- Tea and coffee in the room

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Ioana_Cis

Dear Loana_Cis, thank you for taking your valuable time to share your feedback about your recent stay. We appreciate your comments, both positive and where we need to improve. We take comments such as yours seriously as we are constantly looking to improve and to provide an experience to our guests which is memorable. While we look forward to our upcoming renovation that will address a number of the issues you highlighted, we will look to improve upon the service we provide. A lot of new exciting things are happening at the Mayfair, I hope you consider visiting us again as we are committed towards an exceptional guest experience and would like the opportunity to recover. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your next visit. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

The Historic Mayfair is in my opinion a good hotel, yes it is old and it may have lost some of it's class over the years. But it is a charming place never the less. The rooms are clean and the price is right. Breakfast is little expensive but then again I have had worse.

It is in the middle of downtown LA so don't expect it to be quiet at night...THIS IS LA!! :)
It's close to a lot of good night clubs and shopping is also no problem.

I have read a few reports that " It's a bad neighborhood" And that there are no places to eat if you arrive in the evening. Well Boo Hoo! this is Down town! I found the neighborhood to be quite friendly, a little run down. But I think that will change with time. It is I think a Hispanic area and as such there a number of good places to eat. Just don't expect it to be the Ritz! :)

As for reviews that the staff is unfriendly.... I think if you treat people with disrespect you get disrespect. That simple. I liked the place and I will stay there again and recommend it.

Just remember it is a Historic Hotel in a part of town that is maybe not for everyone.

Hope my review helps.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Gary L
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Mayfair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Gary L, thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us about your recent stay. We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgement of a positive nature. I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay with us and very glad that you were pleased with the service provided, rest assured your comments will be passed. While we are looking forward to our upcoming transformation, we will continue to focus on our exceptional service. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your next visit. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

in the area for visit, luckily we found this place. the rate very affordable, the location is close to everything and decent & clean room. The staff's are very nice. definately staying this place again. thanks Mayfair we have a lovely stay...

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
MayfairLA, General Manager at The Mayfair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear yhannie2x, on behalf of the team, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with our hotel. We could not be more delighted that your stay was satisfying. We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgement of a positive nature. Comments like yours help us to make sure that we're meeting the needs of our customers. Thank you and we would be delighted to welcome you back again in the near future. Sincerely, Mike Shoffit, General Manager