TWO OUT OF THREE
There are three flagpoles over the front marquee of the Mayfair, with two flags flying, except in the photo on the webpage, which has three. This is emblematic.
We stayed there for 10 days in July 2014. What’s right with this hotel:
1) Clean and reasonably spacious rooms, at least in the case of room 1018
2) Polite staff, well informed concierge
3) Good connectivity, 24/7, though a bit slower than at the Biltmore, where we had stayed the previous week.
4) Moderate prices. We paid $122 for a double, before tax, booking online through Trivago.
5) Laundromat and 7-11 nearby; Subway and Mexican restaurants are two blocks away. Walking towards town on 7th Street, you find two Thai restaurants in the first two blocks, one on each side of the street.
6) Four blocks from the restaurants and shopping on Figueroa.
Sadly, the hotel is no longer in the best part of town, and women should not go out alone in the neighborhood here at night. The restaurant serves a very acceptable full breakfast for $12.95, but no lunch or dinner. You can phone for pizza or go to any of half a dozen restaurants nearby or, four blocks away, on Figueroa.
We heard worries expressed about the drinking water, so bought bottled water from the vending machines and 7-11.
The fitness center is small and was not in good shape on our arrival. The treadmill, not working on our arrival, was repaired.
We did not see too many upscale clients during our stay there. I witnessed one post-midnight altercation at the reception, which was settled when the well sized night concierge intervened to calm things down.
My fear is that the management has heard these points made before, but knows that putting in improvements, especially an all hours restaurant, might price them out of reach to their present clientele.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Historic Mayfair Hotel in the heart of downtown Los Angeles was the tallest building west of the Mississippi when it was built in 1926. We maintain the American charm of the Roaring Twenties with marble floors, brass fixtures, glass etchings, and fluted column pillars. Modern amenities have been added for your comfort while preserving the grandeur of Old World elegance. With 295 rooms available for guests with King, Queen, Twin full sized or single beds, the Historic Mayfair Hotel offers an affordable stay surrounded by the vibrancy of city life. Our convenient location allows guests to explore all of Los Angeles from the beautiful hillsides of Beverly Hills to the cultural hotspots of Hollywood. If you're looking for a home away from home enjoy our junior suites with a lounge area, refrigerator, and microwave, or our executive suite with a dining room and kitchenette. The Celebrity, our onsite dining, serves a full breakfast daily with a variety of hot and cold options for guests. The location of the first post Academy Awards party in 1929, the Historic Mayfair Hotel is the optimal choice for those looking to discover the architecture, culture and history of Los Angeles at reasonable rates. Our tenured and experienced staff is here to make you feel relaxed and comfortable at our hotel, and ensure that you have a memorable stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, HostelWorld, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Mayfair Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mayfair Hotel Los Angeles
- Mayfair Los Angeles
- Mayfair Hotel La