Americas Best Value Inn & Suites-Los Angeles Downtown/S.W.
Ranked #282 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Worst hotel I've ever encountered. Checking in, the office had the lights off so I felt like talking to a wall. Employee was RUDE and unprofessional. Went in the room and it was DIGUSTING. You call that a clean room? There was bugs on the walls, the beds, stains on EVERYTHING. The manager couldnt even manage to update the bed sheets and renovate the rooms? I felt like this was a joke. I went back down to the office and asked for a refund, so instead of responding to my question... he wanted to see what was so wrong... he swiped his finger on the table and smart mouthed me where is it dirty? I dont see dust. First of all.... look around! This hotel was a MESS. I work at a hotel and this was inappropriate and embarrassing. He insisted on giving me a "better" room. If that was the case, why not give me that room in the first place! I still wanted my refund and he went back in the office, lights off and crossed his arms with such poor attitude. Ha! Employee was wearing sweats, sandals, and a tee.... COMPLETE JOKE!!!!!! HORRIBLE HOTEL. He should be fired for POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Jessica S

Reviewed 9 June 2012

This is a ghetto hotel. The second I got out of my car I saw a mom cursing at her brood and slapping her little boy around. The next second a prostitute checked in. The next second I cancelled my reservation and was GLAD to pay the $30 penalty. If you're looking for a economical hotel...keep looking. This isn't economical, this is dangerous.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Sherpa S
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Pricing is not bad for what you get. Free Internet and parking and a clean bed and bathroom. It's a bit shady but what do you expect in South Central? Have never had safety issues here but if you are from BentFork, IA it may be intimidating if you've never been to the city.

Room Tip: chose away from stairs/elevator
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Chc H
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Never stay here if you have any value to your life or care for your health!
Disgusting! Dirty location. Inept staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank biztrip23
Reviewed 12 December 2010

Pros; Cheap.

Cons; Let’s start from the beginning. As we were driving in the neighborhood, we knew that things were going to be flat out bad. The place is located in a really shady place of LA. Regardless, we were still hoping that somehow, the hotel would be after this area. It wasn’t. This was around 10PM.

So we pull in the parking lot. As we were pulling in, we saw a couple of cars with 30-something inch chrome rims. This definitely didn’t raise our hopes one bit. So we go in , park, and look around for the front desk to check in. There was nothing around … until we saw the sign for “Office” – a hole in the wall. The light was off, so we naturally assumed that for some unknown reason, the hotel was closed. But we still get close to the “Office”. There was someone there, behind bulletproof glass. The whole time that we were checking in, the light remained off. I will let you to draw your own conclusions, but as far as we are concerned, these people were most likely robbed, shot at, and who knows what else, so they were taking precaution. Good for them, I guess.

The room. Oh my, where do we start … as soon as we go in, the stench of smoke was apparent. There definitely was a feeling that this place wasn’t what one would call clean. The walls were with covered with this 70s theme wooden sheets. The ceiling with mirrors. The pictures made it look funky and groovy, but oh boy, does it look ugly, wrong, gross (among others) when there in person. And yes, there was an ashtray on the table in the room. This was in a non-smoking room.

Fine, what about the sheets/comforters? Well, on the outside, the comforter looked old. I’d venture a guess it was definitely older than 10 years. We flip the comforter, and we’re greeted with circles of … we didn’t want to know. The stench of smoke was overwhelming that we went to get another room.

We get another room that didn’t have the smoke stench (though there was an ashtray on the table). The comforter had spots of 15-17 inch yellow circles all over the place. We put that down, and used a blanket that we had with us. And yes, we slept with our clothes on.
Around 4:45AM in the morning, the TV in the next room was turned on and the volume blasted to high heavens. This was a sign that we needed to get out of there. We checked out at 5AM (yes, the light in front “Office” was still off). We drove off very happy in knowing the following things; 1) we were alive, 2) our rental car wasn’t busted and 3) that we were alive (did we mention we are happy that we made it out of there, alive and in one piece?). After we got out of there, and made it away a safe distance, we concluded that it would have been better to have slept in the car instead – safer, cheaper, and probably gotten much better rest.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank dazzjet
Reviewed 2 February 2010

The place was nice and convinient. Also it was quite comfortable and clean.

Stayed: April 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Stayed here over 4th of july weekend, room was clean and very spacious, good value for the price, i would stay here again for my next trip to california. the room had a large bathroom and a fridge.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple