“Overall Cool Hotel -- Good Location”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills
Ranked #39 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed just one night at the Hotel Palomar LA -- a stopover on an international trip. Room was contemporary in styling; not a great view (faced north toward Wilshire Blvd.) But it was QUIET! We felt like we were the only ones staying on our floor. The hotel was convenient to get to the Getty, our primary sightseeing stop. The hotel staff was friendly. They were happy to hold our bags after checkout until our evening flight. Would definitely consider another stay at the Hotel Palomar the next time we're in LA.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank acedaughter
James D, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear acedaughter,

We will get you a south facing room next time so you see the awesome sunrises and sunsets. Come see us again soon when you can stay longer and see all the great spots in LA!

Reviewed 7 November 2013

This was a really cool place. The staff were super friendly and the attentive. The foam pillows we requested were in our room when we arrived. The room was decorated in a very contemporary comfortable style. Everything was done really well and the location was great especially for us traveling to see an athletic event at UCLA. The maps for jogging we great and we enjoyed the bar in the lobby. We will definitely return and will seek out other Klimpton Hotels as we travel to other cities.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lmh926

Dear lmh926,

The jog through the UCLA campus is awesome! Great way to see Westwood. We are opening a new hotel and restaurant in Seattle next year, maybe your new local spot...? Come see us on your next trip down the coast.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

A major let down. Having read great reviews on here, I booked a skyline view room through the Kimpton website and made requests for foam pillows through the Kimpton Intouch programme. After a long flight, I checked in with a printed copy of the reservation and was put into a standard room with a view of Wilshire apartments. After a couple of days I asked at reception and they admitted messing up. I was on the floor foam pillows are kept on rather than the top floor I had booked. The hotel had also asked for a photo to be emailed in advance to be in the room when I arrived; it wasn't there and who knows where it ended up - certainly not on floor 16 with the foam pillow stock. Staff apologised, offered a change but I didn't want to pack everything up again and so amended room rate to standard and comped a breakfast.

And that sort of sums up my experience. There is a lack of attention to detail. The check-in saw my booking, but didn't read it. A photo was sent and not used. There is no full length mirror in the room (we're off to a wedding). The lighting at breakfast is so gloomy and the service so slow it feels as if you've slipped into the Twilight Zone.

The staff are friendly, and the valet guys exceptional in speed and service. But it all feels like a lot of talk and not much walk...

Room Tip: Take a print out of your booking and double check you're getting what you've paid for.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mdrhobbs

Dear mdrhobbs,

Sorry! We dropped the ball on this one and would love to make it up to you. Please contact me at the hotel do discuss your stay.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

This is a cool, funky, modern hotel, which is what typically makes a Kimpton hotel a fun place to stay. The views (depending on where your room is situated) provide a cool overlook on the sprawling LA area. The Westwood location is convenient to Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, and Santa Monica (~15 min cab ride to Santa Monica). We were here for a wedding and were able to explore a lot of LA from this relatively central location.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert C

Dear Robert C.,

Sounds like a great wedding weekend! You took full advantage of the great location. Come back soon so you can do the tour of Hollywood and LA Live. See you then!

Reviewed 3 November 2013

This was our first stay at the Palomar, and will not be the last.

We loved our room on the top floor facing North - great view of the Getty amongst other things. Room was large with everything we needed.

Valet was the only option for parking at $35 per day.

As a Kimpton In Touch member, it was nice to get free internet.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Leesw8,

Hope you made it to the Getty too! Don't forget about the Raid the Bar credit for InTouch members too so you can try the great cocktails at Blvd16...next time! Thanks for staying with us.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed for two nights on a business trip and I was delighted and surprised by the authentic warmth and engagement of every staff member I encountered during my stay. Each person (valet, concierge, front desk, housekeeping) greeted me with warmth, interest, humor and a genuine interest in whatever I asked about or commented on. I travel globally and stay in hotels 120 nights a year (from luxury to basic) and my experience at the Palomar tops every one in service. I was completely blown away by this experience and will now seek out Kimptons in other business destinations. Any hotel can train their staff to be overly obsequious - but that is not what we have here. This hotel has hired great people with caring, fun and interesting personalities- for real! Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank biztraveljerseygirl
James D, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear biztraveljerseygirl,

Wow! 120 nights a year...welcome to the family! Great to hear the staff took great care of you and made you feel at home. Join Kimpton InTouch if you haven't already to take advantage of all the great perks. Can't wait to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have stayed at the Westwood Palomar 4-6 times a year for the past 4 years. It is a Kimpton, with the style and amenities one expects from that group. However, the Palomar is definitely showing wear and tear. For example, the bathroom had a drain that didn't work and mold around the tub, which one usually doesn't find at a Kimpton.
Service was also an issue. Given how frequently I stay, I would expect them to have some clue that I'm a regular guest. Not so. The front desk staff seemed inexperienced--I got a very early morning unsolicited wake up call on a day when I could have slept late and wanted to.
The big thing though is the restaurant, Blvd 16. It used to be pretty good but has really declined. This is a particular problem since Palomar is on Westwood among condos and it is a hike to get any where else for drinks or food.
I probably won't stay here again soon.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Barb1976
Albert S, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear Barb,

We would love the opportunity to make this up to you. Please contact me so we can discuss your stay and be sure you receive the credit to your InTouch account.

Best,

Beverly Hills
The Beverly Hilton
The Beverly Hilton
#8 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!