“Exceptionally Clean”

GreenLeadersGold level
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Exceptionally Clean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

We spent three days here recently and wish we had spent more. This place is gorgeous. Great views all around. Great food. Great staff. I really can’t say enough. The staff was professional, they attended your needs but were very unobtrusive. A special treat was getting our massages outside. It will be hard for us to accept anything less now that we have stayed here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
GM_HotelPalomar, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Dear VioletLoveBlossy,

We wish you'd have spent more time here too! Thanks very much for joining us; we're thrilled you had a good time. Thanks as well for the kind words about our team, we think they're pretty wonderful too. Have a Happy New Year and please come back soon.

Robert
Hotel Palomar LA - a very Kimpton Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Korean first
Mexico City, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

I arrived to this hotel late at night. The check in process was fast, I asked for a quiet room, specifically. In the morning I was walked up by the annoying noise of Wilshire Blvd, no matter I was on the 11th floor. Apparently the people building the hotel never heard of double windows, and of course the man checking me in just made fun of me when asking for a quiet room.
The minimum thing a hotel has to offer is a bed and a shower. Well, the bed is not that comfortable for the price tag and the shower took several minutes to start having hot water, but in the middle of the shower it just had cold water and air…
I reported this to the front desk, (of course the priority for them is answering the phone, always asking you to wait while they are talking, even it ir rang after you are in front of them) and instead of changing me to another room when I came back they told me to either wait for it (I was on business, busy agenda) instead of holding it until I came back or they will just have it fixed.
Well… they did not fix the water problem and they did not hold a room for me to be able to change. The problem was never solved.
Another incident is the miserable valet service. The car takes between 5 and 10 minutes to arrive. At one moment I asked to please hold the car for 20 minutes while I changed clothes and grab my laptop. The valet agreed, but when I came back the car was not there and it took again about 10 minutes to get it. At $35 dollars + TAX a day, this service is a rip off, period. It is as spending an extra room for your car.
The exercise room has just one elliptical machine that has a TV but a broken ear phone plug. The treadmills are not in the best shape; one of them has malfunctions when running.
Finally the closet area in the room is very small, and the sofa is “classy” but really uncomfortable, with a lamp that keeps knocking your head when you sit down.
Check out also had a very annoying guy that also had priority in answering several calls before checking me out.
In essence it is a shame that what appears to be a good service/price venue is just a shell, nice décor, terrible service and not in top condition.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing Wilshire blvd
Green Features: Did not see any practice, no place to divide trash, etc.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank MPM_WORLDWIDE
James D, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear MPM_WORLDWIDE,

I apologize for the issues and would like for you to return to have the true Palomar experience. Your stay was not representative of our property and we would love the opportunity to make it up to you. Please contact me at the hotel.

Best,

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

My wife and I had a great stay at The Palomar. Check in was easy, polite and friendly in a 'robotic' kind of way. Lack of warmth. Assistance with our bags to our room was pleasant. The room was very clean and comfortable. Room amenities and toiletries were more than adequate. Staff were friendly throughout and special kudos to Sandra of Housekeeping. The pool and it's area is a plus to the establishment. BLVD 16 serves up great appetizers at the bar and they do lunches and dinner at the restaurant section too. Hotel guests get to enjoy an hour of free flow wine (both red & white) between 5-6pm which is a great way to unwind after a long day and to mingle and socialize. This is a pet friendly hotel so please look elsewhere if that rubs you the wrong way.

Location is not a strong point unless the aim is to be close to U.C.L.A. The neighbourhood is great for strolls and walks. Turn right as you exit and it's a good 25 minute walk to Century City, on the other hand, turn left and it's a comfortable 12-15 minute stroll to Westwood Village.

Do join Kimpton's In-touch programme. It's free and it gives you free Wi-Fi throughout your stay throughout the hotel!

Kimpton's done a good job with The Palomar...but still room for improvement.

Recommended!

Room Tip: If traffic noise annoys then choose rooms that aren't facing Wilshire Boulevard.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Skaramoosh,

Sandra is a sweetheart and always leaves fun notes for our guests. Great to hear you had a chance to experience the one of a kind food and drinks from Blvd. Great spot after a long day of sightseeing and shopping. Come see us soon!

Dublin, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

I have stayed at Kimptons many times and find great service but keep in mind I am a VERY easy going person and don't usually like to complain however Its the times when you need something a little extra that you can either shine or completely blow it. Blowing it happened today…I just got into town and had to hit the gym before my event. Realizing I forgot my shaving cream I asked for a RUSH delivery and asked them to leave it in the room while I worked out. I came back to no shaving cream and just dealt with a dry shave because I had to catch a ride. My wife came back after me and met me 2 hours later. About an hour an a half later I received text and calls that she could not find her watch (to her fault it was left out) She tore the room apart and it was gone. I told her it should turn up and you need to get to the event so we will look together again tomorrow. The next day it is nowhere to be found and I hesitated to think.. Did the person come in and find the watch and think if the shaving creaming wasn't delivered then I wasn't here and I just scored an expensive watch? I try to think the best of people but I had to ask the the front desk to pull the cameras to see if anyone entered? The manager was out and I was told I would be contacted shortly …..after 5 hours I received a call that was very unprofessional (introducing herself and then told me to hold on while answering employees questions instead of assisting me). I said I will see you in 10 minutes since she was not concerned with helping me over the phone.

When we met at the hotel the manager mentioned there were no cameras. Okay, how about the door key entrance? I was then told that it didn't happen by the hotel staff... not good enough for me so I asked for the report. The times that were reported and didn't add up from when we entered and left the room. Then I really lost respect when the hotel didn't reset for Daylight savings time.. okay I can let that slide.

Then I asked the engineer to walk into the room to do a overlook. This is what completely pissed me off after going through the room and room entry times with engineer we determined its gone.. I asked what can be done from here? He said that the Manger would follow up. Didn't happen and we are still waiting for that call after 4 hours…..What if it was an honest mistake and was picked up with a towel etc. I would think you should ask brand, color etc. Nothing was asked and this told me I was not worth the time and this was a bogus concern. I expect a little more .. this is a big deal and it should be treated as such.. #unhappy #itsthelittlethings

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Viansa1021
Dear Viansa1021,

We haved tried reaching out to you about the watch, but have not heard back. Hopefully it was found in your luggage. Please contact me at the hotel to discuss.

Best,

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

I was here with a friend for a weekend conference. We were greeted by Will at the front desk, who immediately made us feel at home. We had a great martini from the bar, dinner by the pool (there is a fireplace out there!) and went for a swim before bed. The lobby is festive, on par for Kimpton, and the dining room and lounge were cozy. I had quesadillas for lunch, which hit the spot. Our room was spacious and well appointed. I would come back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
James D, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear skidmore212,

Glad you were able to enjoy the awesome food and drinks at Blvd16. Some great things coming for the holidays! Come back when work won't get in the way...Thanks for staying with us.

Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

Average rooms, tiny bath, ok but nothing special. That was all fine. The problem I have is that I have just checked the end of stay charges, we have been billed $70 for using the phone!!! We used the phone to try to book show tickets in LA, we dialed a few times but the line kept getting cut off and didnt even connect. We then dialed and got through to a voicemail, didnt even leave a message. Then we get a bill for 70 bucks for using the phone, even though we didnt actually ever get through to anyone and most of the attempts got cut off !! Also nowhere in our room was a list of charges for calls. Absolute daylight robbery i will NEVER be staying at one of these hotels again. Far better hotels in LA to stay at in better locations

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ncw222
Dear ncw222,

Hope you made it to the show. Our apologies for the phone issues. Please contact me at the hotel to resolve your charges.

Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Palomar Hotel has very nice and huge rooms, well modern decorated and with everything to make you feel at home. My room was at the 7th floor, and was calm and silent. Cleaness is fine. Every day there is a wine tasting in the lobby that makes a difference when you are ending your workday. Breakfast at Blvd 16 (the hotel restaurant) is great. Order the continental breakfast with pastries, orange juice, fresh fruits and coffee, and you will be ready to go.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with window to the mountain.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear luciinthesky303361,

Our goal is for all of our guests to feel at home. Next time you are at Blvd16 for breakfast try the Eggs Benedict or the pancakes. Enjoy!