“Will not go back”

GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Will not go back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

I booked a "Summer Never Ends" deal on their website because it offered 50% off the next stay. When I called reservation to book my next stay, the lady had no idea what that offer was about. They directed me to the front desk where I was supposed to get a certificate with a coupon code. The problem is that the front desk did not know what I was talking about either!
Someone from their reservation division emailed me to confirm that no such offer existed, that I was only eligible for "2 glasses of champagne on my stay". Obviously, when I responded with screenshot pointing to the offer on Kimpton's website (clearly stated, not mentioning any restriction), I got no response. This is an unbelievable lack of professionalism in addition to blatant misrepresentation.

I was planning on switching from Hilton Honors to the Kimpton InTouch program as I am travelling fairly often for work, but now there is no way I am setting foot in a Kimpton hotel ever again.

About the room: old, uncomfortable bed, house maid entering the room before 8am while I was in the shower

1 Thank David A
GM_HotelPalomar, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Dear DavidA,

So sorry to hear that! We'll make sure that our team is aware of all promotions and that we respond better when things get off track. I do hope you give us another chance to win back your trust in us. We'd love to be able to turn your perception around from this experience.

Hotel Palomar LA - a very Kimpton Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Korean first
Malibu, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

My wife and I have become big fans of the Kimpton chain since first staying at the Canary in Santa Barbara. They take the term 'pet-friendly' seriously at these hotels, and the staff is to a person friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. Well, almost...

I don't want to sound picky, but I admit to being spoiled by our previous Kimpton experiences In SB, Seattle, NYC, and Portland. No single incident was egregious, but one does get the sense that they just don't quite try as hard... Very small things, but they add up. For example - there was considerable confusion during the booking process (done in advance), wherein my wife and I were taking advantage of the wonderful Kimpton free stay offer for repeat customers. I know, I know, it sounds like I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth. However, once we arrived there was still some confusion regarding the booking. It did get straightened out, but nevertheless it took a little time to sort out the correct rates, etc. at the check-in desk.

Some of the Kimptons offer free parking or half price parking to guests with plug-in electric cars. Not here. No biggie, but when I asked the valet manager to plug in the car for us (which every other Kimpton does gleefully) the attitude fairly dripped off the guy. I learned later that the valet service is sub-contracted out to a different company at this hotel. I would suggest the management look into a switch... To be clear here - I stayed solo at this hotel a few months ago and the valet then was very cool - I think his name was Guillermo?

More little things - every Kimpton puts a blackboard in the lobby naming and welcoming all of the canine guests. Silly, but fun. Sadly, our Jackson for some reason wasn't listed there - he felt so dejected:) Seriously, who cares, but the devil's in the details, yes? Also the dog bed wasn't in the room. I called down to the front desk and they sent up a chihuahua sized bed for our 50 pound Portugese Water Dog. Another call, another 15 minutes, the correct bed shows.

The window in our room was missing the second set of translucent daytime privacy curtains, only having the blackout curtains installed. Another call to the desk and they were installed. One of the bedside lampshades was basically the entirely wrong type - it was just balancing on the harp, with no way to properly screw it down. Again, little things, but they add up, yes?

Compared to most hotels, this place is a gem if you are traveling with a pet. But compared to our other Kimpton experiences, not so much...

Dear RichardGibbs,

Sorry we let you down! We love the Hotel Canary too, so we knew we had big shoes to fill after a stay at that hotel. Looks like we missed the mark on several occasions and I promise you we'll learn from it. We'll also be sure to share the feedback regarding your parking experience with our valet company. While they're a vendor partner we expect them to play at our level, so please accept my apologies on their behalf as well.

Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Staying here for a christmas concert at the staples center with my son and pooch....who goes almost everywhere with us and loved the live goldfish bowl in our room. This hotel is top notch in service and amenities..the room was spacious and quiet overlooking a beautiful neighborhood. When we arrived here the mood was happening with a live quartet and dj. A few miles to Santa Monica where oceanview dining was a treat. This is a great location. I love this place and plan to return for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Any room not facing the busy Wilshire Blvd
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear double070girl,

Glad to hear you enjoyed it and we're looking forward in seeing you again!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. The coffee and tea in the morning and wine night in the lobby were a lovely addition. The room was clean, spacious and modern. We were concerned about the conditions being that it is pet friendly, however our room was great. The one area of disappointment is that there are no coffee and tea making facilities in the room.
The Westwood area is nice, there is a good set of shops about a 5 mins walk away, with lots of dining option. In addition there is a bus right outside the hotel that goes to Santa Monica and Beverly Hills. There is also an airport shuttle pretty close by as well.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank hts_24
Dear HTS_24

Thanks so much! We love our staff too. Come back soon and have a wonderful new year!

Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

This is a swanky hotel, the main advantage of which is its location - within walking distance of Westwood Village and the UCLA campus as well as some terrific Persian eateries. Hence, for anyone wishing to visit LA without hiring a car, the place is a boon (there is a bus stop handily placed nearby). Service was very efficient and helpful and lemon infused water in the lobby is a nice touch.

When all is said and done though, the rooms felt like somewhere I have stayed a hundred times before and it seems that few are willing to take the chance of putting a slightly different spin on things - I'm sure market research reveals that most customers want to know what they are going to get - so tasteful jazzy piano over the sound system, $8 bottles of water, compulsory valet parking and bland furnishings are here to stay.

1 Thank BoehmBawerk
Dear Boehmbawerk,

Thanks for the comment. Happy to hear that you were happy with the location of our property and amenities. Also appreciate the feedback about the look and feel of the property. We'll take that to heart as we're always trying to make sure we stay current and fresh. Thanks again and we hope you have a great new year.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

We spent three days here recently and wish we had spent more. This place is gorgeous. Great views all around. Great food. Great staff. I really can’t say enough. The staff was professional, they attended your needs but were very unobtrusive. A special treat was getting our massages outside. It will be hard for us to accept anything less now that we have stayed here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear VioletLoveBlossy,

We wish you'd have spent more time here too! Thanks very much for joining us; we're thrilled you had a good time. Thanks as well for the kind words about our team, we think they're pretty wonderful too. Have a Happy New Year and please come back soon.

Mexico City, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

I arrived to this hotel late at night. The check in process was fast, I asked for a quiet room, specifically. In the morning I was walked up by the annoying noise of Wilshire Blvd, no matter I was on the 11th floor. Apparently the people building the hotel never heard of double windows, and of course the man checking me in just made fun of me when asking for a quiet room.
The minimum thing a hotel has to offer is a bed and a shower. Well, the bed is not that comfortable for the price tag and the shower took several minutes to start having hot water, but in the middle of the shower it just had cold water and air…
I reported this to the front desk, (of course the priority for them is answering the phone, always asking you to wait while they are talking, even it ir rang after you are in front of them) and instead of changing me to another room when I came back they told me to either wait for it (I was on business, busy agenda) instead of holding it until I came back or they will just have it fixed.
Well… they did not fix the water problem and they did not hold a room for me to be able to change. The problem was never solved.
Another incident is the miserable valet service. The car takes between 5 and 10 minutes to arrive. At one moment I asked to please hold the car for 20 minutes while I changed clothes and grab my laptop. The valet agreed, but when I came back the car was not there and it took again about 10 minutes to get it. At $35 dollars + TAX a day, this service is a rip off, period. It is as spending an extra room for your car.
The exercise room has just one elliptical machine that has a TV but a broken ear phone plug. The treadmills are not in the best shape; one of them has malfunctions when running.
Finally the closet area in the room is very small, and the sofa is “classy” but really uncomfortable, with a lamp that keeps knocking your head when you sit down.
Check out also had a very annoying guy that also had priority in answering several calls before checking me out.
In essence it is a shame that what appears to be a good service/price venue is just a shell, nice décor, terrible service and not in top condition.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing Wilshire blvd
Green Features: Did not see any practice, no place to divide trash, etc.
3 Thank MPM_WORLDWIDE
James D, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear MPM_WORLDWIDE,

I apologize for the issues and would like for you to return to have the true Palomar experience. Your stay was not representative of our property and we would love the opportunity to make it up to you. Please contact me at the hotel.

Best,