“An okay hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills
Ranked #41 of 352 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Had a few problems with the room maintenance. The restaurant is overpriced. I would recommend breakfest only ( since it is the only decent meal) and even that can cost over 50$. The staff is very nice and is very welcoming. Overall it is a decent hotel with a nice pool but with a poor gym.

Stayed: June 2014
GM_HotelPalomar, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Pedro W,

Sorry to hear that your stay didn’t live up to the Kimpton standard. One problem with a guest room is too many for us; hopefully you gave us a call so engineering could get things back on track. BLVD 16 has received many accolades about the food and service, however we are always striving to improve and guest feedback is the best way. Thank you for the comments about our staff and the pool area. The fitness center is a focus for us, as we know, how important it is to you and we are planning a remodel of the fitness scheduled to be completed this summer. Have a great summer.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Very trendy and clean! The entire staff was very attentive, professional, and friendly! They made me feel very welcome throughout my stay. The front desk staff (especially Roxanne) was very informative and efficient during check-in and check-out. The concierge (Josue) went above and beyond to provide me with restaurant recommendations. He even followed up with me to make sure I found a restaurant, and then again when I saw him the next day to see how I enjoyed my dinner. They have daily wine hour with the managers, which was a lot of fun! It was full of energy and they even had a DJ. The pool area was a quiet and relaxing way to enjoy lunch and spend the afternoon. The location next to 405 was very convenient. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Jill_CFlorida,
So glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we couldn’t agree more that our staff is what makes us great. Glad you were able to join us for wine hour, which we agree is the best hour of the day. Where else do you get to socialize with guest and give away free wine (think it’s the last free thing you can get in Los Angeles). Our pool area is a great oasis when returning from a long day of exploring this great city. Have a great summer and we look forward to your future visits.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I love Kimpton hotels in general, though I must say that this particular one wasn't as nice as some of the locations I have visited. Still, the decor is funky as you would expect, they have their signature wine social is enjoyable. Staff was nice and helpful.

The area is not as walkable as I had hoped. The location is on a large main street with lots of corporate buildings, I was hoping for a more artsy, fashionable area with lots of boutiques and restaurants.

The price was reasonable and the perks of free wifi and minibar credit are always a good touch.

Room Tip: Make sure you join the loyalty program and book your room by phone! I got a breakfast credit, free...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

MsfabulousNY,

Thank you for feedback from you recent stay. Sorry to hear we didn’t reach the bar set by our sister properties, however we are looking to update our look soon. Our location is on Wilshire, which is a major street in Los Angeles; however, Westwood Village is only blocks away with many great restaurants and shops. Westwood Village is a great place to wander around or just sit and people watch. We couldn’t agree with you more that being a Kimpton In touch Member is well worth it free wifi, $10 dollar raid the bar card and breakfast vouchers, what is not to love? Have a great summer and come see us again.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I am a fan of Kimpton Hotels, both for their historic preservation and their desire to create unique hotels. In the case of the Hotel Palomar in Los Angeles unfortunately the result didn't work for me. Converting historic buildings often requires compromises. That said, most problems are self-inflicted. This is the darkest hotel I've stayed in since La Mamounia in Marakech! The color scheme is dark and the lighting is sparse. Particularly interesting was how dark the restaurant was for breakfast. Unless you happen to be directly under one of the pin spots it was difficult to read the menu and impossible to read the paper. Reading the paper was my second major issue. My room did not have a reading chair, it had a kidney shaped divan. I never figured out how I was supposed to sit on it comfortably. Maybe there's a YouTube video. In these situations I usually go to the lobby to read the paper however the lobby seating consisted of only three chairs and several extensive bench type arrangements, good for a short sit while you wait for your car. When I was able to secure one of the chairs I couldn't stay because of the pounding bass of the monotonous background music. Hotels and restaurants these days are looking for "energy". I'm looking for peace.
The hotel does not have a gift shop and oddly the front desk doesn't provide change, referring me to the valet. (the Kimpton Burnham in Chicago told me the same thing but referred me to the drug store next door to change a twenty!) This policy might be convenient for someone but it isn't for me.
The entire staff was both friendly and helpful. The hotel is right at UCLA and a couple blocks from the 405 so it is very conveniently located. If you are looking for style and energy this very well may be the hotel for you. If you are looking for comfort and peace (and light!) this may not be.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_HotelPalomar, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear David C,

We always thought our hotel staff was a group of superheroes but a Bat Cave is not what we intended! Thanks very much for the feedback; our design goal for the hotel was to create an environment of warm rich colors, a refuge from all of the bright sunshine our city enjoys. Clearly we took it too far in your case! We're in the very preliminary stages of discussing a renovation for our hotel and it's feedback like yours that we're taking to heart. We'll do what we can to bring lightening the look into that conversation.

While I'm happy that you noted our friendly staff I did want to apologize for the issue with making change. You may have caught someone at the end of their shift and they didn't have change immediately available in their bank, but we certainly should have been willing to assist with other options. We'll make sure the reiterate that with our teams. Thanks again for the feedback and I do hope you get a chance to join us again should your travel take you to the west coast version of Gotham City.

Robert (aka Commissioner Gordon)
Hotel Palomar LA

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed there for 5 nights in March for our honeymoon. It was a great stay! The location was very good. It's quick to get around, and it's close to highway so we didn't need to spend much time in traffic. There were plenty of space to park on the side streets which was very convenient. The staffs were very helpful and nice. It was a surprise to get the champaign as our honeymoon gift - thanks very much!! The only downside was the air conditoner. It was a bit noisy but it's acceptable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_HotelPalomar, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

MissLittleCat

We are flattered you chose to spend such a special occasion with us. Glad to hear the staff was helpful during your visit delivering a surprise and delight with the champagne. We couldn’t agree with you more that our location is a great starting point to explore Los Angeles with Santa Monica, Beverly Hills and Westwood all so close. Sorry to hear the AC was a bit noisy our engineers would have been up there in a flash to fix it. Have a great summer and we hope to see you for your anniversary in March.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I loved this hotel! The staff, particularly Jason and Jose (concerige) went out of their way to provide assistance. I lost my bag and the numerous calls they patiently made, including sending their car to collect it, were greatly appreciated! It is staff like this that makes a hotel truly memorable. Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Carmels672

Thank you for the review and the kind words about our employees. We couldn’t agree with you more as Jason and Josue are rock stars. Glad they were able to relieve your stress and make it a memorable stay. Have a great summer.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Centrally located on Wilshire Blvd. in Westwood there is easy access to west LA and Beverly Hills.
Excellent service from the time you arrive and they remember you.
We were there three nights at the time of UCLA graduation and while the hotel was full there was not excessive noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not on the Wilshire Blvd. side, they are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dick6645,

Glad you were able to join us on one of our favorite weekends of the year UCLA graduation. It was a great weekend with so many proud parents. We couldn’t agree with you more that our location puts you close to some of the best Los Angeles has to offer. Though Wilshire side is a bit louder many guest like watching the parade of fancy cars going by. Enjoy the summer and hope to see you in the future.