“An okay place stay”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills
Ranked #41 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We only stayed 2 nights here and while it was nice, it wasn't amazing. We had a double room and it was very small with little space for our suitcases so they ended up in the hallway by the bathroom and on top of the sofa. The bathroom seemed a little dated with a small vanity and a shower over the bath. The beds were lovely and comfortable so we slept well. The animal print robes were comfy too.
We encountered some lovely staff while others seemed ambivalent regarding service. The lighting in the restaurant for breakfast was extremely dim which is fine at night, but not so appropriate in the mornings. It was in a good location and an easy drive from the airport. So while we didn't have a bad experience, I don't know that I would rush back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ppppaulau
GM_HotelPalomar, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Ppppaulau,
Thank you for the feedback from your visit. Though we are glad parts of your stay lived up to our Kimpton expectation (robes, beds and some of the staff) we are sorry that others fell short. We’ve got several improvements in the works this year, including the restaurant. Stay tune for updates as we try to refresh the product in the coming year. Have a great summer and we look to showing off our refresh.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Nothing but great things to say about this hotel. Very good location in a nice area of LA. Absolutely brilliant staff and a very good restaurant which never let us down whenever we got food. We got a lovely bottle of sparkling wine for our honeymoon too which was a lovely touch. Would recommend to anyone.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tonyeggo
GM_HotelPalomar, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Tonyeggo,

Congratulations, we are so happy you decided to spend your honeymoon with us. Glad you enjoyed the sparkling wine and thank you for the kind words about our staff. Have a great summer.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I am a huge Kimpton fan. So far I've stayed at several of their CA locations. This was my third time back to this spot. From check-in to check-out, it was perfect. They do fun little extras like ask you if you want to email them a photo before arrival, and they frame it and put it in your room. It's the little things like that...they make a big difference! Jason at the front desk was awesome, and the lady that manages Blvd 16 is a true professional. We had a wonderful dinner experience there because this lady knows how to run a place! Top notch food and service...thank you for a great weekend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_HotelPalomar, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Lechienblanc,
It’s always great to hear from Kimtpon Groupies. The little things make all the difference and the picture in the rooms make it feel like home. We couldn’t agree with you more that our employees really set us apart; Jason and Raquel are two superstars. Have a great summer and we look forward to welcoming you back for fourth stay.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Myself and my Husband stayed here at the end of our Honeymoon. We were really looking forward to staying at the Palomar as there were so many good reviews.
When we first checked in the lady on reception said we had not prepaid our room this majorly panicked us and it turned out that there was another guest with the same surname as my husband so they had got our bookings mixed up. The receptionist was not that apologetic which was upsetting especially being on our honeymoon!
The room itself was nice - we had a good view of LA and there was a nice modern feel to it.
I know from reading previous reviews that the Palomar normally do something for guests on their honeymoon but we didn't have anything in our room - again this was a shame.
We enjoyed the wine hour which was a nice touch and they did little canapes too alongside.
The location for us was what sold the hotel to us as it was right in the middle of Santa Monica & Hollywood therefore getting to places was easy and not stressful given that we didn't have a car.
The hotel had a nice relaxed atmosphere which we liked and it was never too busy.
What most impressed me about the hotel was actually before we arrived I contacted the hotel and asked about Hair Salons and the lovely concierge arranged the whole thing for me. This excellent customer service pushed my review from a 3 to 4 stars.

Our experience at the Palomar was fine it would of just been nice to have made to feel more special due to being there at the end of the honeymoon. I know there was a note of the system informing the hotel and the sheet of paper we gave to the receptionist also stated why we where there.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be near to all the sights of LA but in a calmer atmosphere. We loved Westwood village which was nearby which had shops and restaurants and there are also buses nearby to Santa Monica which was convenient.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hollie_app,
So glad you choose to spend part of your Honeymoon with us. Sorry we missed our opportunity to surprise and delight on this occasion, as that is one of our favorite things to do. We are glad you were able to enjoy our wine hour as this is a great time to unwind and meet other guests. We also love the location close to Santa Barbara, Hollywood and steps from Westwood Village. Have a great summer and come see us for future anniversaries.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This hotel is in a nice section of Los Angeles close to UCLA. The neighborhood around it appeared to be very safe. It is also pet friendly with no pet fee. Rooms are a bit small. One complaint is that you must valet park at a cost of $41 per day plus tips. We spent three nights here while we visited Santa Monica. The staff did not explain any features of the hotel. I wasn't aware that it even had a pool and gym until I read the reviews after I left the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
GM_HotelPalomar, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Collegemom2011,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We agree with you that our neighborhood is one of the best in Los Angeles very close to Santa Monica, Beverly Hills and the UCLA campus. Sorry the staff let you down at check in and didn’t tell you about all the amenities of the hotel. I promise we were not trying to hide them from you and we have reviewed your comments with the staff. Have a great summer.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights (1621) as part of a conference at UCLA - it was my first Kimpton experience and I loved it!

The service was exceptional. Jose (at least I think that was his name!) checked me in with a high level of professionalism - he offered to bring a coffee maker to my room, and given I missed Wine Hour, he gave me a coupon for a free glass at the bar. (Great way to make a first impression!!!) I also received a $10 voucher for the mini-bar or restaurant, which was a nice touch.

When I arrived to my room it was lovely - a framed photo of my super cute dog was waiting to greet me and the coffee maker was already there! A colleague even had a fish in her room - I'm going to request that next time.

The room faced Wiltshire and was near the lifts, but it was very quiet - I heard nothing through the walls. The décor was nice, and the bed was comfortable. I also liked that the wake-up call was an actual person ... not a pre-recorded message.

I made it to Wine Hour one evening - it was a very lively event, and even had a DJ in the corner.

The shuttle was handy to get to/from the UCLA campus. I didn't do any tourist sights, so can't comment on the location from that point of view.

There was free Wi-Fi for loyalty club members, coffee/tea in the lobby, newspapers, and bikes to borrow. I wish my dog could have come with me, as there is an awesome welcome sign out front, and the door guy keeps treats in his station to share with dogs passing by ... I witnessed a super excited neighborhood cocker spaniel on its evening walk go ballistic when he got to the hotel so he could get a treat!

I would definitely stay again, and will keep an eye out for future stays at other Kimpton properties.

Room Tip: Request a fish for your room!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Anchmer,
So glad you enjoyed yourself during your recent visit. We couldn’t agree with you more that our staff is the secret to our success and Josue is a shining example of that. Part of our success is making your room feel like home and having your pet photo goes a long way. Glad you were able to enjoy your Kimpton In Touch benefits hopefully you got to use the $10 dollar raid the bar card (my favorite is Stone IPA, yum). You also found the hotel hidden gem in the house shuttle that takes you anywhere in a 3 mile radius. Please bring your dog next time we love four legged guest and our staff will spoil them. Have a great summer and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Had a few problems with the room maintenance. The restaurant is overpriced. I would recommend breakfest only ( since it is the only decent meal) and even that can cost over 50$. The staff is very nice and is very welcoming. Overall it is a decent hotel with a nice pool but with a poor gym.

Stayed: June 2014
GM_HotelPalomar, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Pedro W,

Sorry to hear that your stay didn’t live up to the Kimpton standard. One problem with a guest room is too many for us; hopefully you gave us a call so engineering could get things back on track. BLVD 16 has received many accolades about the food and service, however we are always striving to improve and guest feedback is the best way. Thank you for the comments about our staff and the pool area. The fitness center is a focus for us, as we know, how important it is to you and we are planning a remodel of the fitness scheduled to be completed this summer. Have a great summer.