“Trendy & Great Location”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills
Ranked #44 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Maryland
“Trendy & Great Location”
Reviewed 23 July 2009

This hotel was FABULOUS! The staff was soooo accommodating and helpful. The price per night is definitely high but it is located in a very popular area. Happy hour with wine and snacks during the weekday.
*GYM- The gym was great. Weight room also had personalized TV for each machine but there were also free weights available. Gym provided something for everyone.
* Business Center- computers provided in the business centers were MACS (which I love). Only disadvantage was there was a fee for internet use, printing, etc...
* Pool- Pool area was very upscale and trendy. A little small, but ambiance was nice.
* BLVD 16 Restaurant- was pricey but the meals were organic friendly and excellent. The chef there apparently uses herb from their own rooftop herb garden and products are provided by local farmers, etc...
*Location- Great location. Walking distance to a lot of hotel and shops.
This hotel is definitely worth the money if you have to spend

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Korean first
San Francisco
Reviewed 23 July 2009

Got a great rate at the Palomar which made me switch from my regular hotel in LA. Let me start writing by listing some of the pros and then cons.

Pros: clean room, comfortable bed, good parking valets, free internet for intouch members, nice towels, coffee in lobby in the early AM (on the con side, maybe they could serve it later on weekends). Free wine hour (too bad it was Fetzer)

Cons: ( all of which combined, make this hotel a 3 star)
1. Upon check-in, the valet took my bag, but not wife's. This shouldn't happen in a 4 star.
2. We reserved a vista deluxe room but were given a room with a view of another building (not a vista). When I asked for what I reserved, the helpful valet (not the one who took our bags) made a call and had us moved to the type of room we reserved. This shouldn't happen in a 4 star.
3. Looked for the concierge on 3 separate occasions, but he or she was never at their desk. This shouldn't happen in a 4 star.
4. Asked the front desk clerk for an LA Weekly to see what was going on in town, Her response "we don't carry it because it would be too hard to keep in stock." It is a free paper, had come out that morning, should be available for guests in a 4 star hotel. The person who made the decision to not have it available to guests seems to have missed the point that it is hard to keep in stack because guests want to use it. Also asked for a Sunday paper at 10:00 AM and desk clerk seemed to be annoyed that I didn't get my butt up at 8:00 AM so that I could ensure I got one. Gruffly went to the back office and got me a copy. This shouldn't happen in a 4 star.
5. Free internet for intouch members was spotty and hotel was less than helpful in troubleshooting. This could easily happen in a 4 star.
6. Location sucks if one wants to walk to breakfast. I know it is LA and everyone drives, but it would be nice to walk to coffee in the morning. In all honesty, I grew up in LA and knew the location before booking, but think that others that are not familiar should have this info.
7. No and/or poor food or drink service at the pool. Went to the pool thinking there would be poolside service. After about 20 minutes of hanging out I went to the front desk to ask about food and drink service and to ask that the used towels in the pool area be cleaned up. I was informed that there is no regular drink service at the pool, but that I could order room service and have it delivered to the pool. I asked them to send a waiter. 20 minutes later the waiter arrived. I tried to order a margarita with a specific kind of tequila, but the waiter wasn't sure if they had it. I offered him three different options and asked him to bring me one of the 3 options. 15 minutes later he arrived not with my drink, but with a list of the tequilas they did have and then asked me what kind I wanted in my "mojito" At that point I cut my losses, informing the waiter that mojitos are not made with tequila, that I had wanted a margarita, and that it I no longer wanted anything because I had little faith that my drink would be correct or in my hand in any reasonable amount of time. This shouldn't happen in a 4 star.
8. Upon check out, valet once again took my bag but not my wife's. I am 6'4" and 230 pounds, my wife is 5'7 and 135 pounds. Who do you think needed help with their bag?
This shouldn't happen in a 4 star.

All in all, this hotel looks like a 4 star, but IMO the difference between a 3 and 4 star hotel are in the details, which the staff and management of the Palomar have neglected. I might stay here again if I got another incredibly low rate like the one I received for this stay, but my expectations will be severely lowered next time.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MrClean69
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 21 July 2009

We stayed here with our kids. My parents also travelled with us and had their own room. I was quite pleased with this hotel. Although we did not spend much time in the public areas of the hotel, at first glance, everything was very modern and new looking. The staff was great to deal with. They were extremely friendly and helpful. The front desk was helpful in providing directions to various places and answering any questions we had. The room was like new and kept nice and clean. There were no signs of wear on the carpet/walls, etc. Travelling with small kids that touch everything, I was quite pleased to say that the housekeeper did a great job each day. We asked for adjoining rooms and the front desk easily accomodated our request. The only downside to the room was that the washroom door did not have a lock - but this wasn't a big deal. We stayed facing Wilshire Blvd. and have no complaints with noise. I believe we stayed on the 8th floor. Each morning they offered coffee. It was nice to grab a cup of coffee on our way out. Each evening they offerred a complimentary glass of wine at their bar/restaurant.

There is street parking up front, but it's impossible to find. The side streets have parking but I believe you have to move your car by 7am. Parking at $30/day added up! That is my only complaint. Having said that, many of the hotels I looked in to charged around this much for parking as well.

Overall, I would definately come back and stay at this hotel. The staff were great and the hotel was beautiful.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Newport Beach
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I had 10 days of meetings in Beverly Hills and stayed at the Palomar. This hotel was simply the Best Experience I have had at a hotel - at any price. Fantastic Service, Food and the Bar were top notch (great music), rooms (although small) were very clean, excellent beds, great sheets and a Large Flat screen TV. Staff was extremely friendly and efficient. Complaints? I wish the TV was a bit faster to change channels or had a guide system on it. Parking is Valet only at $30 a night. Tip: Ask for a room on the South SIde of the hotel - Wilshire Blvd can be noisy.
I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
San Diego
Reviewed 17 July 2009

I was in LA to look at UCLA with my son. The hotel is walking distance to everything. It is chic, modern and the service is 5-star. They can't do enough for you. The value is awesome because the rate was pretty low for what we received. The beds were very comfortable. The only glitch was there was something wrong with movies on demand but they refunded the cost of the movie and I received a personal email about it, imagine that! I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank balansandiego
Kearny, NJ
Reviewed 15 July 2009

We stayed here when visiting family in Los Angeles. The hotel is awesome but, the traffic in LA is something I could never adjust to. I would have rather stayed outside of LA proper.

I'd recommend the hotel overall.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Northern Virginia
Reviewed 10 July 2009

Yes, I'm a little late writing this, since we stayed in December, but I have good memories of my stay here, so decided to write a review. This hotel lives up to the Kimpton brand, which is my family's choice whenever we stay someplace that has one.

Our room was spotlessly clean, had a nice view, and HUGE bathroom. It was a 1 BR king suite. Everything in the room was typical of a Kimpton hotel, very stylish and whimsical... The bathroom was OPEN to the bedroom, so if this is not something you're entirely comfortable with, just be mindful... my wife and I were fine with it though.

Wine hour was very nice and classy in the lobby. They did not have a selection of bottled beer as the Kimpton Hotel Marlowe in Cambridge, MA has (another great hotel) -- this would be a great touch for the non-wine drinkers in the crowd. Restaurant was good, we ate there one night and were impressed with the food and service.

My only gripe would be the charge for mandatory valet parking. I realize this hotel charges virtually the same rate as every other hotel in the area, so it's not really a ding on them. More on the fact that you have an area of the city that is pretty much unwalkable (but where in LA really is walkable?), where you're required to have a car, and yet you have to pay an exorbitant fee for parking... but I digress.

It's a great place to stay, comfortable, with typical Kimpton class. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Palomar-LA-Westwood, Management at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 27 July 2009
Dear midatlantictraveler1,
It’s never too late to read about our guests great memories. We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your comments about your stay with us. We do our best to ensure that you enjoy your time in Los Angeles and are as comfortable as possible. The Spa Suites are great and the Jacuzzi tubs really help to relax and unwind!

We look forward to your next visit. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of assistance.

Kindest regards,