Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills
GreenLeadersGold level
Maryland
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed 22 January 2010

I booked a reservation at Hotel Palomar because of the reviews listed here on Trip Advisor. To say the least, Hotel Palomar proved to be everything I thought it would be. I did not get a chance to enjoy the wine reception because of other activities in Los Angeles but everything else in the hotel was immaculate. The bathrooms are beautiful; the beds are very comfortable. I will definitely stay here again. They even accommodated my early check-in request and allowed me to check in two hours early. Thank you Hotel Palomar for a wonderful visit and making my first trip to Los Angeles exactly what I wanted.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Chamho, General Manger at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 1 February 2010
I am so delighted you enjoyed our beautiful hotel and had your pre-arrival requests honored! We work at the nuance and understand it makes a tremendous difference for our discerning guests.

We hope to continue to host your future visits and thank you again for staying with us!

Albert Smith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Korean first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 January 2010

The Palomar Hotel has so much going for it. Stylish lobby, outstanding Westside location, close to the 405 for easy "on and off" to areas north and south, and Santa Monica, as well as Beverly Hills and West Hollywood hot spots.

The rooms are typically Kimpton: super stylish, decent size and with comfortable beds, cotton bedsheets and nice towels. That said, there was some plumbing noise from the bathroom above us, which we could hear occasionally in our room. Nothing major, just something that happens with an older building that's been remodeled into a hotel, that's all.

Everyone on the staff is attractive, friendly and helpful. However, upon checking in, the front desk gave our bellman the wrong room number. So, we traipsed from room-to-room, floor-to-floor, with several phone calls to the front desk in between, before we got to the correct room! Then, the bellman had to return to the lobby to get us another doorkey, as the electronic coding on the one we had had, for security purposes, been erased. Small annoyance, but obviously the hotel staff needs a bit more training... Another staff problem ocurred with room service, which took forever. After a total of three calls, we finally got our order, but only 3/4 of it was correct! So, we had to wait again, while the staff member went downstairs to retrieve the rest of our order.

The elevators are not the fastest of hotel elevators and the cabs are done-up in "mod" nightclub fashion, dark, back-lit a deep red (day and night!) so that once the elevator door closes, one can hardly see anything inside the cab. A bit too trendy for my tastes.

Boulevard 16 is the restaurant on the Lobby level of the hotel. The food is outstanding! We had dinner on two occasions and five breakfasts. We did not have one complaint! Not only was the food absolutely delicious (freshly squeezed real orange juice, for example, in the morning,) in the evening, the dinner items were amazingly inventive and combined interesting and exotic ingredients (for example: yuzu, truffle oil, vanilla bean and goat cheese, in a fresh persimmon, hazelnut salad!) For the quality of the food and service (and the service in the restaurant was highly professional and polished at breakfast and dinner) the prices were reasonable for LA.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Palomar Hotel. If they could get their room service and bellmen acts together, I'd give them, five stars across the board.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Santa Barbara
Reviewed 18 January 2010

My wife and I stayed here based upon the rave reviews on Trip Advisor. The room was beautifully furnished, had very comfortable beds, and above all was very quiet in response to our request. Service from all the employees was friendly and natural - no attitudes. We will definitely stay there the next time in LA.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 January 2010

I couldn't have been more impressed with my stay here...too many times there's a plastic feel to the hospitality one receives at hotels when traveling on business. The "my pleasure to connect you" and other tired phrases feel--and usually are--fake. Here, though, everybody I met there seemed to be good at their job and having fun doing it. We made use of their courtesy car several times and our driver was gracious and knowledgeable. The restaurant food was reliable and creative , the bartender was spot-on, and the front desk staff gamely fought through some weird glitch in their room-key system without getting rattled or rude.

I think the people made the difference here. However, the rooms do deserve a mention. Are they huge? Nope. But they're stylish and immaculately clean. My bed was comfortable and the bathroom was quite nice.

This was a hotel we chose on a recommendation and I'm extending that recommendation as one of my own here. Kudos to the staff.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 17 January 2010

Kimpton used to buy interesting, older buildings and rehab them. However, with their rapid growth the past few years they've clearly lost that vision and, in Los Angeles, rehabbed a 70's-era Communist-looking building in a decent location with rooms smaller than most in New York City. That's "the story" this hotel tells...which isn't much.

In my opinion, just a bad business decision. I'm sure they also want to create a "hot scene" around the dreary pool squeezed between 2 buildings. Again, not inviting. As many have noted, the AC system is old and dusty. The room is nicely decorated but can't make up for the small size especially if you get a double room. But It's Los Angeles! One of the most expansive cities in our country. We ended up leaving two nights early and headed to the London.

I hope they halt their agressive expansion and return to their roots. Otherwise, same old, same old.

Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank herculepoirot
New York City
Reviewed 11 January 2010

We stayed on Christmas night after flying to LAX from NYC. Service was excellent all around and the property is attractive and new. We had been offered a $40 email upgrade to a spa suite. The suite was exceptional with a separate bedroom, two flat screens and a luxurious bath. Breakfast was delicious; get the Huevos Chilaquiles. Although it was chilly in LA, the outdoor pool was heated to a reasonable temp and my youngest daughter and I took a dip. No complaints at all; this was a really great choice for our stay...

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Chamho, General Manger at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 12 January 2010
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us! I am delighted you and your family had an opportunity to enjoy our Spa Suite as well as the pool during your recent visit.

If I can help in anyway procure your next visit to Los Angeles, please feel free to contact me directly (424)-901-7261

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 December 2009

I had stayed at a Kimpton hotel in DC before and wasn't that impressed, with the hotel or the customer service. I found a great rate at the Palomar and decided to give the chain a second chance and I'm glad I did.
The customer service at this hotel was amazing. I sent an email with a room request before I checked in. I received a courteous reply within the hour. The valet parkers, the people at reception, everyone went out of their way to be friendly.
My room was a vista deluxe. It was very large and clean with a great view, large flat screen TV, free wifi...everything you need. Bathroom was modern and a good size as well. It's a newer hotel so everything is still shiny and new. Always my favorite time to stay at places.
Oh, they even have a free wine hour. Between 5-6, you could go to the hotel bar and have free glasses of wine. The restaurant...was alright. There are so many restaurants in LA though...I never eat at the hotel restaurants.
I didn't have a chance to see the rest of the hotel (pool area, ect). So, I can't comment on that. And parking is expensive ($30) but I saw if you have a hybrid it's free. Also, there's a public garage down the street on Glendon. I didn't use it but I'm sure it's cheaper.
As for the question would you recommend this hotel to a friend, I already have. Several in fact!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Marriett
Chamho, General Manger at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Los Angeles Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 7 January 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for your loyalty to Kimpton and thank you for your glowing feedback about our hotel service and amenities!

I truly hope you have an opportunity to use our pool and experience BLVD.16 during your next visit. You are correct, there are so many restaurant choices in Los Angeles but I must say with great pride, our Executive Chef Simon Dolinky stands with any of the hot chefs in town!