“High end business travel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza

Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza
Ranked #7 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Providence, Rhode Island
“High end business travel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

A truly excellent hotel. I booked it because it was within 10 miles of my business meeting in Commerce, and the surrounding area can be a bit dodgy. It was a five-star hotel for a modest premium to the others. No regrets. However, it irks me when hotels nick you for things that should be standard - like internet connection and bottled water. I'm not paying $5 to drink a bottle of Panna water. Could you just supply a bottle of Arrowhead water for free? And, high-speed wireless should be like air-conditioning by now. $40 for parking was steep, too, but this isn't a business overnight hotel, per se. It is a high-end, really nice hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
We were delighted to have you stay with us. We appreciate the feedback you provided, and hope that you will find many benefits provided to our guests through our Select Guest program. We also make every attempt we can to stay competitive with other downtown hotels in respect to our parking costs. We hope that if your travel brings you to Commerce again, you will consider giving us another opportunity to welcome you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washngton, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

Great rooms--BIG, well furnished, separate walk-in shower, wi-fi, courtesy car to local sites (3 miles)--What more could you want. The Noe bar is definite a place to go. We had a short visit (arrived late, left after lunch) so we did not at Noe--I suspect with missed a treat. We had lunch in the cafe--great curry chicken salad.

MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) is literally next door. If you enjoy Contemporary Art don't miss it.

Back to the Omni, they will bring coffee in the morning to the room--free! Best price I know. They sell Starbucks on the third floor for the addicted--I am more addicted to Starbucks' scones.

Noe bar was a real treat...9 ounce glasses of wine! Great outdoor tables--I can spell romance.

Room Tip: Grand avenue rooms overlook the Disney Hall. A sight to behold.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

I recently spent 3 nights in various areas of Southern California, the idea was to bid each night on priceline based on the area I was staying. Being in downtown LA before, I was actually hoping to get the Westin property since I`ve been there before and knew what to expect, was a bit disappointed at first when I got this one but after staying here I can easily say that Im happy that I did as this beats the westin in everyway.

Just about everything with this hotel was great. Location worked very well with my plans and easy to find. Staff were friendly and the room itself was very clean and up to par as was the whole hotel.

As I pulled into this hotel on a Thursday night, I was told parking was $40 (for reference this place charges $40 for parking sun-thr and $20 for parkin fri-sat).
As I gave the guy my keys for the car, he told me he would only charge me $20 for the night. Appreciating the good gesture I tipped him $10.

Checked out the next day and to no real surprise I was charged the full $40 for the night. As I didnt get the guys name and its clearly posted the costs for parking, I didnt even bother to dispute the charge. Only reason I could come up with why he said he would reduce the parking price was to up his chances of getting a tip, which worked.....but who knows for sure.
This is probably the only reason why I`m not giving it a full 5.

Either way still a great properly and I look forward to returning one day.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, 19 December 2011
We would like to first extend our deepest apologies for the service experienced with our Valet Department. This is not the type of service we pride ourselves on, and we are embarrassed for what occurred. Please rest assured that the appropriate department heads have been notified to ensure this does not happen again to another guest. We have attempted to reach out to discuss this further, and would love to have the opportunity to speak with you personally. We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

This is my third stay in the hotel - having been here once a year for the past 3 years. The experience has progressively improved over the past 3 years. In the latest stay, I was particularly impressed with the much improved service. 4 days before my check in, I received an email from the hotel's Loyalty Ambassador providing valuable information with a name, number and email to contact for any assistance required during my stay. Further, the perks for the Select Guest level I am at was outlined giving me a clear idea of what to expect. I had a deluxe room and the setup was very cosy. There was a large LCD TV in the room and the bed was very comfortable - a big help in helping me get settled in for a good night's sleep.
Part of the Select Guest privilege was the complimentary morning beverage delivery to the room. Choices include a variety of fresh juices and hot beverages with option for time of delivery and notification method. Just make the selections and hang it outside the door before 2am. An excellent way to start the morning and it worked very well for me.
There is a convenience store round the corner - Famima. In the evening, there is a good selection of restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. In the day, the Cental Market is a short stroll down the hill from the hotel - an interesting experience. Chinatown is not too far off - in my previous trip, I had walked there as well as had used the hotel's complimentary sedan service which would bring you to anywhere within a 3-mile radius. You just need to call them and they would pick you up later.
Internet service in the room was good. Had dinner in the Noe restaurant - great value for money and quality. The Noe bar opens late - good for drinks in a pleasant setting. Had the pizza and it taste good. There always seems to be some movie filming going on the streets around the hotel - another interesting experience.
Overall, a very good experience in the hotel. I would continue to stay there again each year.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

Moderately hi-priced modern 17-story on Bunker Hill. Muted pleasing Japanese/Art Deco eclectic styling. Targets expense accounts, Asian visitors, and splurging romantics.

PROS: walk to Arts Center, MOCA, Court Complex (on a nice day.) Attentive staff. Make 1-2 cups of coffee in room. Cafe has classy breakfast. Real valet laundry. Great restaurant for the $$$$. Do not disturb signs work--housekeeping will not insist on coming into your expensive space when you are trying to sleep or you-know. Stay 10 nights get 1 free night in loyalty program. Classy lobby. Always a taxi outside entrance. You know how many concrete buildings run the HVAC so as to give static electric shocks when touching metal, this one does not--a great relief. Free Wi-Fi with loyalty program. Could not hear elevators. Plenty electric outlets for gadgets.

CONS: Plays detuned idiosyncratic music in common areas. Somewhat noisy: usual streets of major city's cars and the low E of commerce, corridors are almost all hours filled with vocal staff/guest yakking or machinery (!) sounds, can hear TVs through walls more than expected. Had to ask for bathrobe promised in brochure and nobody even mentioned any "car service." (Fortunately downtown buses are almost free.) Was charged for an Honor Bar item somebody purchased when was out of room in another part of town--of course instantly corrected by desk. Can't say views were of anything except concrete/asphalt/buildings in standard rooms. Business Center costly. Hate to think what parking+tax would run. 2 of 4 lights in room were unlabeled capacitive touch switched, turning down/off when not expected.

Room Tip: For now the 17th floor package is $50 for 2 with food and service and would seem a bargain for what...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank smarteconomist
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Thank you for your candid feedback on your recent stay with us! Sounds like you had an enjoyable visit in Los Angeles. We do apologize for the error with the bathrobe and billing, and want to ensure that the respective department heads have been notified. We hope that in the future if your travel brings you through Los Angeles again, you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

When my travel agent chose this hotel for me, I had no time to read guests' reviews, and hoped for the best. Now I want to move in permanently ! The staff should be made official Ambassadors of Los Angeles, as they all managed to change my previous ho-hum attitude about their city. Everything and more has been said by previous guests, you just can't believe how clean, efficient and welcoming, this hotel is. In particular, I am not one to fuss over the toiletries, but the presentation of these is just beautiful..and where can I buy that facial bar from.. it's absolutely tops! Daniel, the concierge, drew me clear directions for all public transport, and although I am a single older female, I had no qualms about travelling alone from the hotel. I applaud everyone concerned with the Omni, many of whom work very long shifts and remain positive at all times, I recommend this hotel with utmost honesty.

Room Tip: rooms facing the fountain at the back are very peaceful
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

I recently stayed @ the Omni for my first visit to LA. I absolutely love this hotel. It's conveinently located within driving distance to most parts of LA. It's literally footsteps away from MOCA and Disney's Museum, which my 11th floor room had a perfect view of. I received exceptional service throughout the hotel, whether I called for room service, called the front desk and entered/exited the hotel. The restaurant/bar Noe, located on the 3rd floor, is definitely worth a visit. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great service, luxury accommodations and reasonable rates.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of MOCA or the quadrant. If you're trying to save a few bucks, look f...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends