“Classy Hotel Right In the Middle of L.A.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza

Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza
Ranked #7 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
San Francisco, California
“Classy Hotel Right In the Middle of L.A.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

We enjoyed an extended weekend in Los Angeles and loved our stay at the beautiful Omni. The first thing I'll say is that we were able to stay at a very affordable rate through a promotion offered through the Omni Hotels website. Our room was spacious, with a king size bed, a large sitting chair, desk, small refrigerator, and flat screen TV.

The room was exceptionally clean and well-maintained, and the maid service was polite and thorough and included turndown service and a filled ice bucket each evening. If you're a member of Omni's frequent guest program, they'll also polish your shoes and bring hot coffee or juice to your room each morning--a genuinely distinct display of excellent guest service and appreciation.

While the hotel does require valet service for your car, they don't overcharge for parking as is so common at downtown hotels in large cities. The valet service was prompt and efficient.

We had two meals at the hotel--lunch in the casual dining room (which serves only breakfast and lunch) and dinner in the more formal dining room. Both meals were very good, with menus displaying a variety of offerings and--quite typical of L.A.--a large variety of vegan and organic foods as well.

We made frequent use of the gym--a truly excellent facility. The gym has elliptical machines, treadmills, free weights, and a few weight machines. The best part was the ice cold, citrus-infused water available after a workout.

The location of the hotel is right in the downtown area, with great access to the Disney Concert Hall, the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, the Los Angeles Museum of Modern Art, and many other attractions.

We really enjoyed our visit and look forward to returning someday.

Room Tip: The hotel includes a spa which offers a broad array of massages and treatments if you want to pamper...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

We stayed at The Omni twice, once in December and again in January.

Before our stay I had some questions so used their online help - I was contacted by a great CSA, Kim, who was very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. She recommended that we joined their free Select club to get free wi-fi during our stay. The Concierge Daniel also confirmed a trip for us prior to our arrival.

Staff were friendly and helpful, from Reception to Room Service, to Valet parking.

Because the hotel is downtown there's not a huge variety of places to eat at night - but the in room dining was perfectly acceptable.

The pool was great and so warm!

The decor was modern, the bathrooms clean and the rooms spacious.

All in all a good hotel, with friendly helpful staff at a reasonable rate. Make sure you join their Select club.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank EmptyseaNZ
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Your comments are greatly appreciated, and we have given recognition to the staff members you mentioned. We look forward to welcoming you back soon to enjoy our restaurants as well as the many restaurants in the downtown area. Our complimentary town car service could take you, and pick you up, within a three mile radius of the hotel. Our wonderful concierges can assist with great dining recommendations as well.
Clinton, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

Wake up calls were a joke for this hotel! They do not have a automated wake up call, so they rely on a human being to do it. I stayed their several days, and requested a wake up call each day. They never called on-time, as late as 15 to 20 minutes. I would even ask for a follow up call and they couldn't get that right either. They called so late one morning that the person didn't even say "this is your wake up call"; instead, she said "oh are you up?" I said who is this? She said "I'm sorry I meant to call you for your wake up call. So I wanted to at least make sure that you didn't oversleep!" Of course, I had since it was nearly 45 minutes late!!!! I was very upset. I had a 3am and 4 am call set for the next morning and called to cancel it. Wouldn't you know it--they called at 3am and 4am on the dot!! I screamed to say, I CANCELED THE CALL!!!! I left there and went to the Omni (Pittsburgh) the following week, and wouldn't you know it--they did the exact same thing!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
We are truly sorry, and embarrassed, that we could not follow through with your wake-up call requests. We hope that you will respond to our personal message to you so that we can further discuss this one wake-up call. But in the meantime, our Front Office Manager has also been informed to ensure that we re-train our operator staff on the proper procedures of the wake-up calls. Please accept our sincerest apologies, and we hope you will give us another opportunity to show you true Omni service.
Carpinteria, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

Truly enjoy my stays at this hotel. The staff is wonderful, the view of the Plaza makes you want to sit in front of the window in that comfortable chair, read and have a glass of wine.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

After doing my research on TA about hotels in downtown LA, I eventually decided on the Omni. Let me start off by saying, I loved everything about this hotel from the wonderful service to the unbeatable location. Signing up for the guest membership program prior to your stay is strongly recommended. The room was absolutely amazing all except for the lack of HD on their flat panel televisions. The cherry on top had to be the free town car service within the 3 mile radius. Not to mention, Pershing Square (red and purple line) is just steps away from California Plaza and Angels Flight. This is a must-stay hotel if you are traveling to the downtown area!

Room Tip: Sign up for member's benefits!!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank tarheeltraveIer
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

I normally write reviews promptly but have been waiting for two weeks to try to resolve a minor issue that is pending (more on that later), Despite traveling 30 weeks a year on business and for fun, I have never stayed at an Omni. In doing my due diligence, I learned from other TA reviewers, that it is beneficial to join their loyalty program which I did before booking.

One of the things that concerned me (even though it is work's money) was the $40 a night valet only charge. I usually find street parking or a cheaper lot (both are available nearby though street parking is very limited and the car must be moved by 8:00 a.m. or towed. Interestingly, the $40 valet is for weekdays only, weekend guests are only charged $20. (Can you say expense accounts?) Surpisingly, I was only charged $20, which I am guessing but do not know for sure was that I was there on a government rate.

The hotel itself is very nice, staff very friendly, room stylish and clean. The loyalty program previously mentioned exceeds any other loyalty program I am a member of, though admittedly, it is the cause of my minor issue. By being a loyalty member, you get two items pressed (ironed) for free as well as your shoes shined. Very, very nice. You also get free internet (though it should be free anyway), and a choice of coffee or juice delivered to your room each morning. Nice touch! I should also mention that I was given a king bed, corner room.

Now to the minor issue. The first night I had two items pressed and the second night I called the front desk and asked if there was a charge to have two more items pressed. I was told on night one, that two items are free and each item after that was $5.00. However, it was not clear whether this was two items a night or for the whole stay, which is why I called the front desk before I got the shirts pressed. The young lady admittedly didn't sound sure about this fact; asked someone else, then told me that I could get two more items for free. When I checked out, there were no charges for this; but two days later I received an email with a $10.00 charge added for the pressing of the items. I immediately called the hotel, left a message for the customer service rep, and...........nothing, no call back, no email, nothing.

in reading the reviews, i see that management usually responds to reviews, so here goes. You have a great hotel; I look forward to staying there again, but not responding to a minor customer service issue is the difference between a four and five star rating.

Cheers!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Marius40
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us! First, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall, and that we were able to exceed your expectations. However, we would also like to sincerely apologize for any confusion over the loyalty program. As a member, you would receive two complimentary items pressed per stay. Please contact the Executive Office at 213-617-3300 for further assistance.
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

We go to Los Angeles a couple times of year for the symphony and opera. We usually stay in Santa Monica but the driving and traffic to and from downtown LA is stressful and time consuming. This time we decided to stay downtown at the Omni and were very pleased. It is one block from the Walt Disney concert hall and MOCA, and a relatively short walk (albeit uphill) to some of LA's best restaurants. The public areas and guest rooms are nicely done and comfortable, in typical business conference hotel decor. We also took advantage of the hotel's complimentary car service which takes guests to and from any place within three miles of the hotel. Because the hotel is located in the financial district, it becomes deserted and lonely on Saturdays and Sundays, but its proximity to the music hall and theaters is a bit advantage, as well as the very reasonable rates.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple