“Comfortable but lacking style. 3.5 stars”

Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza
Ranked #8 of 357 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 30 May 2012

First up: the good parts. The bed was VERY comfortable. The staff (every person we met from housekeeping to bartender to restaurant service to check-in staff) was VERY nice, helpful, considerate, competent. Obviously, these two things rated 4.5 stars on their own.

Now the downside: it's visually a major snooze. It felt like a business hotel and though we were here for my husband's job--it was for a party/event and I was in the vacay mindset and didn't really want a boring hotel for the weekend. It's not hideous or anything it just felt blaaaaah.

The restaurant was okay. The wait staff was great of course, but the food was just a bit above average. The bar had great drinks (the bartender made an excellence margarita) but the atmosphere was little corny and old fashioned. It definitely felt like it was catering to the 45 and up crowd (really 50 and up) and it was broadcasting sports which I guess it would be since the whole hotel is probably stocked with a bunch of middle aged dudes on business trips (no offense, I'm married to one myself). Still, the drink was great, and that helped immensely :).

I'm sure it's great for business trips, not highly recommended for a vacation stay.

1  Thank splianka
Write a ReviewReviews (3,966)

Reviewed 30 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a recent business trip for a huge convention downtown.
The accomodations were great! Very quiet in our room, with a view of the courtyard from our room.
The staff was very helpful, and we were surprised at this great location in LA!

Reviewed 29 May 2012

This is primarily a business hotel during the week, but often has special rates for weekends (and hotel parking is half price on Friday and Saturday). We live south of LA but like to go to the LA Philharmonic and shows at the Chandler Pavillion--so we take the train, then take the Metro one stop, and walk to the Omni. The hotel is very convenient, just a block from Disney Hall and the theaters nearby, and right next to the MOCA. We joined the loyalty program, which I recommend; they bring morning beverages to your room, supply you with bottled water, and generally knock themselves out to be helpful and hospitable. We've eaten in the restaurant several times, and although it's pricy, it's not out of line with downtown LA prices (and less expensive than some).

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the plaza have a lovely view, especially at night.
1  Thank Susan M
Reviewed 28 May 2012

If you visited LA lately and avoided downtown you made a big mistake. This is not downtown from the 80's or 90's. They were always talking about it, now they did it. It feels safe walking in the streets and the restaurants and bars are plentiful.
This Hotel "Omni" is at the heart or rather on top of Bunker hill. That is the highest point in downtown. From here you can go to everywhere, they will even give you a ride for free if you don't have a car. What a luxury for around 100 bucks.
It's a dirty secret but it is the "best value" for the buck.
The concierge Amy is the best concierge I have ever met in the planet and if you know anything about me. I travel a lot. She is professional and courteous and knows her job like no one. She calls every booking agency and theater and knows the people there. She got me a pair of fabulous tickets to the "cirque du Soleil". What a show.
The rooms are spacious. They have great views on the city. They are clean and have everything you a room needs. It's really a home. They recognize you after 6 months, meaning same staff, extraordinary (maybe a recession) people hang onto their jobs, don't mean to be cynical.
Try it. You will love it.

Room Tip: Try it, you will love it. There is no other hotel in LA for this price and value.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Jopin55
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

We are so delighted to hear you had such an enjoyable stay. Please rest assure that Amy will be recognized for all her hard work and commitment to our guests. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 27 May 2012

I travel to Los Angeles on business once a month,have stayed at most of the four star hotels in downtown.
Arrived at hotel only to be greeted by the friendliest staff ever !!!
Room was clean,spacious,quiet,relaxing.
Room service food was very good.
View from hotel room was peaceful and relaxing water fountains everywhere.
Fitness center was super clean and with updated machines.
And the hotel limo dropped me off to work and back during the day.
Best service and comfortable stay in downtown ever

Room Tip: Get a room with water fountain view very peaceful at night
2  Thank 11sara
Reviewed 25 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Omni on a week night so we could go to Disney Hall to see the LA Phil. The location is perfect. We ate at the hotel restaurant, Noe. The main course was very good, but the salad we had were missing the ingredients for which they were named! One of the salad was supposed to be asparagus and artichoke hearts, and the first salad served to us had no dressing, no asparagus, and the artichoke hearts were hard and inedible. The second salad had a black hair in it. We have light hair.

When we pulled back the bedspread to go to bed, we found that the sheets had not been changed and were sweaty and dirty. when I tried to phone the front desk, I learned that the phone wasn't working except that I could get an outside line. I had dial 9, get an outside line and then call the hotel in order to get someone to come up and change the sheets. The person who answered wasn't very interested but when I insisted, he did send up a very nice person to change the sheets.

Nevertheless, if the phones worked (we paid 75cents to call the front desk), the sheets were clean and the salad had been complete, we'd have thought the Omni was a great place to stay while visiting the LA Phil.

Room Tip: higher floors are quieter.
2  Thank Alex D

We are deeply sorry about the issues encountered during your recent stay with us. Please rest assure that they have been discussed with our Director of Food & Beverage and the Noe Chef to ensure this does not happen again. We hope we were able to resolve this for you, and that you will provide us with another opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 25 May 2012

I travel to Los Angeles for business once or twice a quarter and always book the Omni if available. Absolute first choice for LA hotels. The staff and service is excellent, always willing to go the extra mile.

In my two most recent trips (April and May 2012), I have had flawless experiences. The express check-in option is a great feature, allowing an easy entrance without a wait in line. Everybody who stays here should be a member of their loyalty program, which offers great perks such as pressing services and a complimentary morning beverage. I can't say enough about the service.

The rooms are large, and the king beds are excellent - soft enough, but not so much that you just roll into the middle of the bed. I know mattress choice is very different for everybody, but I consider these a close second to the one I have at home for comfort level. The separate shower/bathtub is great.

The rooms aren't cheap, but they are a great value for the level of service and the amenities you receive.

1  Thank mattlycrue