“Great hotel, friendly staff!”

Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza
Ranked #9 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed at this hotel as the 3rd part of our honeymoon. When we arrived the staff were super friendly and very helpful, we were upgraded to a room with a King Sized bed which was just perfect. The rooms are spotless and the coffee making facility is excellent. They even put some really fancy soaps, body wash, shampoo etc in the rooms and replenish these every day.
We were welcomed from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. The hotels location wasn't too bad it was a short walk to 7th Street to jump on the Metro underground $5 for a day ticket which can be used on buses as well and such a simple transport system to use, England could learn a thing or two. We just loved LA our favorite place ever! My only comment regarding the hotel would be that they try to charge you $9 a night for wi-fi if you go on line and sign up to their loyalty programme which is free of charge the wi-fi will be complimentary,

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Corinna H
Write a ReviewReviews (3,885)

Reviewed 11 June 2012

I just got back from a stay at the Omni hotel. My husband, best friend, and I were visiting LA for an extended weekend to meet up with friends, check out the downtown sites, and watch Swan Lake at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion.

The staff at the Omni hotel were friendly, helpful, and made us feel at home. I would like to give special thanks to the valet manager working on the morning of Sunday, July 10th. His positive energy and clear value on customer satisfaction set us all in high spirits as we left for various adventures.

The staff also made great recommendations on restaurants around the area. A French bakery just down the street and the Water Grill were fabulous. All in easy and safe walking distance.

One of the main reasons for our visit was to watch Swan Lake. The walking distance from the hotel to Dorothy Chandler was easy, safe, and pleasant.

The hotel smelled wonderfully. Upon entering the hotel, the smell of the many lilies in bouquets was quite pleasing.

The rooms were clean and quiet.

The fitness center is a nice size with a selection of equipment. Would be nice for them to add a machine with cables though as well as some extra mats for abs and stretching.

Starbucks is extremely close to the hotel and there are fountains surrounding the area where one can sit and relax. On Sunday, the nearest Starbucks is closed. Thankfully, there was one a few blocks down that was open (as a Seattlite I must have my latte!)

The bar tender at the hotel bar was quite friendly and we enjoyed gossiping with him on our last night at the hotel. Very enjoyable bar area with sofas and a fireplace.

There were some oddities with our 4th floor room. The door to the closet and bathroom clash a bit and the closet has little access to the lighting in the room. The bathroom vanity was much too small for my liking and only had one sink. The tub and shower were separated in my room; however, in my best friend’s room (who paid the same price), she had a smaller bathroom with combined tub and shower. Probably pays to ask before heading to your room? My room was on the fitness center floor and kept at a VERY cold temperature. It felt as though we were walking through a refrigerator when getting off the elevator and making a dash to the warmth of our room. There are no bathrobes in the rooms :(

All in all, I really enjoyed my experience. Based on location and the friendly staff, I would give this hotel the full star rating.

Room Tip: Ask about the bathroom and whether you will have a separated rub and shower. The fitness center i...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank cranberryAli
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

We truly appreciate your feedback, and have forwarded your comments to the appropriate directors. We will look into the hallway temperature on the 4th floor, as well as the oversight with the bathrobes. We apologize for any inconveniences experienced. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back on your next theatre weekend trip.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

Fantastic property at an equally fantastic location. The hotel is in downtown which means you have access to trendy restaurants, clubs, museums and even some shopping.
I stayed here as I had to attend a conference at the Colburn School and I could just walk through the plaza everyday! Less than a minute's transit. The starbucks coffee on the 3rd floor is a big bonus.
The rooms are very comfortable and quite plush. Basic toiletries are provided and very nice. The staff is helpful. Check in and check out were super fast and efficient.
All in all, worth every cent!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MegRathee
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Thank you for the feedback! We hope you had a successful conference at the Colburn School. We look forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed 5 June 2012

I loved this hotel. From the furnishings in the room to the high quality bed linens and mattress everything was so plush and comfortable. I felt really tranquil and it was really clean too. Parking is super expensive but I guess that's LA. This place is a gem.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BaltimoreFrancophile
Reviewed 4 June 2012

The hotel : chained hotel, very functional, fast lifts, tasteful decor through out the hotel, big lobby.
The location : downtown LA, in the business area, not many shops or restaurants, not too far from Pursing subway (yes, there's subway in LA), taxi to & from LAX is around $60.
The check-in & check-out : fast, accurate.
The breakfast : not compliment.
The room : very big, very clean, bed is incredibly great, great decor, tasteful lighting, the air con works very well, very big flat screen TV, very big window with very nice view of Disney concert hall (as request), quiet & peaceful rooms.
The bathroom : big & functional , very clean, water pressure is great, good amenity, pretty of towels.
The staffs : capable, friendly & helpful.
The rate : reasonable and also a good deal in the hotel web.
The Internet : fast & free if you apply for its select guest program (free).
Overall : it's a very good choice if you choose to stay in downtown LA, great base to explore LA, I'll defenitely stay here again with this rate.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank arayaBKK
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Thank you for your candid comments! We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback, and look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed 30 May 2012

First up: the good parts. The bed was VERY comfortable. The staff (every person we met from housekeeping to bartender to restaurant service to check-in staff) was VERY nice, helpful, considerate, competent. Obviously, these two things rated 4.5 stars on their own.

Now the downside: it's visually a major snooze. It felt like a business hotel and though we were here for my husband's job--it was for a party/event and I was in the vacay mindset and didn't really want a boring hotel for the weekend. It's not hideous or anything it just felt blaaaaah.

The restaurant was okay. The wait staff was great of course, but the food was just a bit above average. The bar had great drinks (the bartender made an excellence margarita) but the atmosphere was little corny and old fashioned. It definitely felt like it was catering to the 45 and up crowd (really 50 and up) and it was broadcasting sports which I guess it would be since the whole hotel is probably stocked with a bunch of middle aged dudes on business trips (no offense, I'm married to one myself). Still, the drink was great, and that helped immensely :).

I'm sure it's great for business trips, not highly recommended for a vacation stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank splianka
Reviewed 30 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a recent business trip for a huge convention downtown.
The accomodations were great! Very quiet in our room, with a view of the courtyard from our room.
The staff was very helpful, and we were surprised at this great location in LA!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business