“USC visit”

Ranked #9 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
New York City, New York
“USC visit”
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel is lovely but service is excellent. Location was perfect for visiting USC, avoided LA traffic concerns for our early morning appointments. Walking distance to Bottega Louie, great location if want to be downtown plus easy access to roads Leading anywhere else you'd like to visit. Would absolutely recommend

• Stayed March 2014
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
We always appreciate hearing from our guests, and are delighted to know we could help make your stay a memorable one. We hope your visit to USC was a successful one, and we look forward to your next stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Great hotel, great location, great food and superb service. This was the first time I have stayed at an Omni Resort in some years and I was pleasantly surprised. First impressions: you are greeted in a circular driveway which features a flowing water fall fountain and a group of doormen that wisk you away to the waiting front desk staff ready to check you in. Within minutes of checking in we were off to our room.

The room: Our room was well appointed with updated modern furniture, comfortable beds and linens and a beautiful updated bathroom with all the necessary travel toiletries.

The Food: We ate at the Grand Café, for breakfast, located on the 3rd floor of the hotel. If you have any problems choosing what to order, get the buffet. Omelets, waffles and pancakes are all made to order and ot to mention, the buffet was well stocked with other items from fruit to different breakfast meats to cereal, everyone would have been satisfied with this buffet and its inexpensive cost.

Highlights: This hotel is in a great location close to many of LA’s downtown attractions. However, if you don’t want to walk, the hotel featured a courtesy car that would take you wherever you wanted to go, up to a 3 mile radius. Loved it!

Overall: I was pleasantly surprised at this hotel and the staff. I would highly recommend the Omni LA (California Plaza) to both business and leisure travelers alike

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank regjr13
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2014

From arrival and the valet taking the car (there is no self-parking), everyone treated us as royal guests with a friendliness beautiful to behold.

We were staying for one night only and were escorted to our room, a very spacious 2x double bed room. In the room with the beds were also a writing desk, a working chair and a comfortable wingback.We had a corner room, so there were large windows on two sides, one facing north and the other, east. An internal corridor led to two closets and a large bathroom with separate shower and bath. Hot water came after about 30 seconds.

A large flat-screen TV was supplied with ample channels, although we did not watch anything except the news in the morning.

We ate a late lunch/early dinner for we were going to be at the Disney Concert Hall by 6.30pm. It was a short 400-metre stroll further along the street to the concert hall. The Museum of Contemporary Art is located right next to the back of the hotel. On saying 'back', it is also another entrance into the restaurants and lounge, and it is the 3rd floor: the hotel is built into a steep hill, so the actual front entrance is on the other side of the hotel and three floors lower.

We had three very good experiences with the restaurants: one late lunch at 3pm in the Grand Cafe, comprising a chicken taquito, a patty melt, a turkey Reuben sandwich and a 9-oz glass of Pinot Grigio for a total of $47.96 plus tip of $10. We ate this lovely lunch al fresco, watching the people walk along the promenade or going into the museum.

Later that evening and after the concert, in the Noe restaurant, we enjoyed a large plate of very lightly battered calamari, which my wife and I shared ($10), and two 9-oz glasses of Hahn Merlot ($14.75 each) for a total of $43.06 including tax, plus $9 gratuity.

The following morning, after a very comfortable sleep, we returned to the Grand Cafe and, again we ate outside on the patio. My wife had the 2-egg entree with hash browns, two slices of bacon and fresh fruit ($15.00) and I the corned beef hash with 2 eggs atop the hash with tomato and spinach ($18.00). We both had hot teas ($2.50) with an endless supply of refilling hot water. What amazed us was the large orange juice was refilled as many times as we liked. We had it refilled twice each, but were offered it more times ($5.00 for one endless supply). We have never before experienced endless orange juice at a hotel restaurant.

As said at the outset, we very much appreciated the very friendly, but very professional, staff, from valet, through the front desk and waitpersons to the housekeeping women.

Our hotel one night was $169 plus tax. However, if you drive there, you must pay an additional daily valet fee of $40, as there is no self-parking in the hotel.

The next time we go downtown LA, this will be the hotel at which we will stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on a lower floor. More windows and easier access to restaurants.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melville P
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a conference in march and experienced nothing but good things. Even though there was a problem with my reservation, the front desk staff was pleasant and rectified it quickly.

Our room was spacious and comfortable, adn perfectly cleaned. The concierge was helpful to friends and myself in recommending places to eat and giving directions.

Our group particularly enjoyed the Noe bar/lounge on the 3rd floor-- it was very convienient, delicious food, well-made drinks, and excellent service.

If I am ever back in Los Angeles, I would absolutely stay here again, and recommend it to friends for a stay as well.

1 Thank akhdaniel
Pompano Beach, Florida
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed at the Omni Hotel Downtown Los Angeles while attending the ASCD Conference at the Los Angeles Convention Center. The hotel is located near the financial district downtown. It’s about a 10-minute cab or shuttle ride to the convention center. There are a few restaurants located nearby and there is a convenience store located in California Plaza, which is adjacent to the hotel.

Since many of the convention attendees staying at the hotel were teachers, the Omni offered gourmet chocolate-covered apples at check-in that were both beautiful and delicious. I’ve never seen a convention hotel offer such a personalized welcome.

My room on the 14th Floor overlooked the city and I enjoyed seeing the sunset reflected off the skyscraper windows in the evening. Although it is located downtown, being on the 14th floor, I found that my room was relatively quiet. The room itself was beautiful and spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was one of the nicest and most spacious of any hotel bathroom I’ve seen. It had both a stand-alone shower and a bathtub. The soft Omni hotel robes are a nice touch as well. I was a little disappointed to find that the room did not have a refrigerator, only a minibar.

The first evening, I went out for a walk and when I returned, the lights in my room had been dimmed, soothing music was playing on the television, a robe was hung on the bathroom door and a bottle of water was left on the nightstand, reminding me to hydrate. For the next two evenings, only the lights were dimmed when I returned to my room. I’m not sure if this was because they try to make the first night extra special or if some housekeeping staff is more attentive to details than others.

The night I arrived, I realized that I had forgotten something, so I called down to the front desk to see if there was a place nearby where I could buy the items. The guest services agent gave me directions to the convenience store, but also graciously sent complimentary replacements to my room.

One of the things that I love most about Omni hotels are the Select Guest perks, including morning beverage service. Unlike the two Omnis that I’ve stayed in in the past (San Diego and Austin), this Omni offered only one beverage (the others offered two) and the pot was smaller at this hotel as well. The first morning, I ordered a muffin with my coffee and it was small and dry. I opted to eat out the next two mornings.

I worked out in the Fitness Center one morning and it was very nice. There are plenty of treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, weight machines and free weights.
Although I didn’t eat at any of the hotel restaurants, Noe looked very nice. It was especially beautiful at night.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Omni Hotel Downtown Los Angeles. Although I didn’t feel that it was quite as nice as the other Omni hotels I’ve stayed in, there were a few things about it that made my stay really special.

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor to avoid as much city noise as possible.
2 Thank Knani
OmniMgrLosAngeles, Executive Office at Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for your detailed and favorable review of your recent stay during the ASCD Conference. While we greatly value your positive feedback, please know that your less than satisfactory experiences will be shared with our management staff to ensure we can provide a stay that exceeds the expectations of all our guests. We appreciate your loyalty to the Omni brand and hope you will visit us again the next time you are in Los Angeles.
Namibia
Reviewed 17 March 2014

The Hotels itself was very nice, with a big lounge, friendly service and quick check in. The rooms are quite big and well appointed. The bathroom is quite large and the only hotel stayed in while in the US for 2 weeks that had a separate bath and shower. At last a normal shower and not one of these bath/ shower combos!
The only negative about the hotel is that you have to pay for Wifi, which is weird for this day and age. Yes, you can get free internet if you join there loyalty program, but what if you don't want to? Wifi in such a hotel, should be free for all guests.
The area of the hotel is not the best for sight seeing. I read a lot of what one can do in downtown, but I must say that I was extremely disappointed with the area. There really isn't a reason why international tourist should come here and in hindsight I should have spent the night at Santa Monica or somewhere else.
If you have business in downtown LA, want to visit the Disney Hall etc., then you can't go wrong with the Omni, but if you want to do some sight seeing, downtown LA is not recommended. That said it's not the hotels fault, but there really isn't much do and see.

2 Thank NamXpert
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Really enjoyed this place stayed here for two nights. Great service the staff were really nice. Clean rooms. Did not have breakfast so not sure about the breakfast quality. But great place to be in downtown LA

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business