“Charge 'Em For the Lice, Extra for the Mice...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Kawada Hotel

Kawada Hotel
Ranked #251 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
“Charge 'Em For the Lice, Extra for the Mice...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

OK it's not as bad as all that, but this hotel does love their surcharges and it is pretty grimy. You probably won't be paying just the low fee if you want to spend a night or two --- not if you want to park your car anywhere. There's no reliable parking on the street and the rates at the neighboring lot fluctuate quite a bit, but the hotel offers a valet service for $22 per day. I opted for that just because it was the only option available to me. So I'm settled in my room, car safely valet parked, and I go to load up my email, but I can't do that without paying $5 per device per day.
The advantage of this hotel is the location. It's near much of the historic Downtown, including the library, so if you're young and spritely and OK with walking a few blocks, you shouldn't have a problem with the wifi. Overall, everything evens out, but there are many ways this place could be improved.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

To be short and sweet, hotel pretty good for a four night stay for two companions. Room might be smaller than other with some age but this hotel is a bargain for what you get in Downtown LA in such a convenient location.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor, which isn't a bad location if you don't want to hear traffic, t...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
South Miami, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

First let me start of by saying this is one of the worst hotels I've ever been to like always my fiancé booked the hotel for us for 4 night after the 2nd night we left it was such a horrible experience first of the staff dosent even acknowledge that your even there the building is really old as your walking the whole floor squeaks the rooms are so small and just dirty looking the sheets had cigarets burns in them the towels were not clean we had to pay for parking each time u leave out with your car u have to pay again there is no breakfast offered whatsoever no Internet nothing the only positive thing about this hotel is that it was quiet I think because of the lack of guest I would never stay here or recommend this place to anyone we ended of leaving two days early and ended up getting a room for two nights at the Good time Inn which was cheaper and much more relaxing .

Room Tip: My tip would be never to stay in this hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yanick J

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013 via mobile

Very basic and dated room , but everything worked perfect and was clean . Good value hotel right in downtown , close to the metro . Staff were friendly and helpfull . Bathroom smelt abit . Would recommend if your going to by out all day sight seeing .

• Stayed May 2013
South Portland, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

Having read so many negative reviews about this hotel, I was reluctant to stay there; but am now so glad I did. No, it's not the Ritz, but for the money it can't be beat. Quiet, comfortable and convenient. Absolutely no complaints!

Room Tip: I had a room (205) away from the street, which probably accounted for the minimal noise level.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank davborferl
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

I have read some very negative reviews about this hotel prior to my booking a room here. I was prepared to experience poor service at the registration counter and see dirty linens. However, I saw none of those!

I was greeted with a hearty welcome by hotel staff James at the registraion counter during my check-in. I could feel James' sincerity in wanting to ensure I had a great stay in LA. Halfway through my check-in, the guest behind me in the queue kept wanting to jump in to ask James about some Internet issue. James just politely asked him to wait a moment as he was serving me, and he carried on serving me and reminded me to approach him if I needed anything. He displayed coolness with my check-in, even though the guest behind me was very impatient.

My room is rather small. It comes with a partial kitchen that consisted of a sink and a microwave oven, There is a medium size fridge, too. However, there is no in-room safe deposite box. TV channels were plentiful.

Internet access in the room is USD5 per day. However, there is free Internet access at the hotel's common PC on the ground floor lobby. This was limited to 10 minutes per guest per session, up to 2 sessions of use per guest per day. The Internet connection is rather intermittent, though.

I really need to mention about James' professionalism here again. On another occasion, while waiting for a couple to complete their use of the Internet at the hotel's common PC, James was serving some other guests at the reception counter, Out of the corner of his eyes, he observed that I had already waited 10 minutes for my turn. James is that observant! He seems to have springs below his feet! While his guests were checking up on something else, he asked the couple to complete their use of the Internet soon, as I was waiting for 10 minutes already. He did this even when I signalled to him that it was okay for me to wait a little longer, but of course, in my heart, I had wished that he would hurry to couple to finished off their use.

On my check-out, I complimented James on his professionalism and remarked that he seems to be a 5-Star hotel employee trapped in a 2-Star hotel. He thanked me with his heart laughter and told me that he was trained to work in 5-Star hotels and had actually worked in 5-Star hotels before. Really, I think Kawada Hotel is so very blessed to have James in their staff roll. He is a huge fish in a small pond in Kawada.

The hotel's location is at Civic Center, which can be rather quiet, especially at night. The 2 nearest Metro rail stations are Civic Center and Pershing Square. The hotel is also near to Little Tokyo which is about 6 streets away; nice place for Japanese meals and shopping. There is a mini-mart Famima! at the Water Court office buildings near to the hotel; you will also see Angel's Flight and the world's shortest rail there.

Overall, cheap room rates that comes with clean basic room, and great professional staff James.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Actuarial_Math
Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

This hotel is nice place to stay for a short period. Don't expect more into this hotel. As it is old and need some changes. But the room they give to us is a clean and comfortable room a non smoking room. In the third floor. The concierge guy his name is VICTOR is very helpful to us.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family