“Very nice”

Ranked #249 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Grand Blanc, Michigan
“Very nice”
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

I went there not sure what to except but it was decent close to little tokyo which I loved not to far from Chinatown. And a short bus ride to koreatown also very nice is the grove they helped with any questions I had and was perfect for me! (if it helps to know I'm a young female and was solo) I would go there again .

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank stayonyourtoes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bribie Island, Australia
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I had booked at the Kawada for two stays with an away tour inbetween. When we arrived reception was empty and we had to wait, when they came back they were polite and quickly sorted us. The room was very small - not a problem for us as we use our hotel rooms very little when sightseeing. However on this occasion my husband wasn't well and we felt in need of a little comfort.

The room was musty - bed linen was damp and the room smelt strongly of air deodoriser - especially each time it was cleaned. It was so small you had to move your bag to do anything, the twin beds were incredibly narrow, the fridge was rusty and didn't work, coffee only supplied, and not much of that, there was almost no window to speak of, the corridor smelt of smoke, there was a new club next door and we had to listen to music most of the night. The bathroom was small but clean and the shower worked well. The hotel is in a business district and on a Sunday morning there was nowhere to buy breakfast. The railway station is a distance but walkable, and so is China Town and other historical sights.

This hotel is definitely only a 2 star - We cancelled our second stay.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet, non-smoking room
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank faye766

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed at the Kawada hotel as part of an extend stays program. Yes, the rooms are small, but they were clean and the area that the Kawada is in is very nice. In fact, it's up and coming. If you're looking for a crash pad or a place to save money while still being in Downtown Los Angeles, I'd recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Chad S
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Everything in this hotel seem to date from the 1980s or 1970s if not earlier, including the furniture which is very basic and of very poor quality. Besides, the staff can't care less about customers needs. As there is no tea bag provided with the kettle and I had a call and needed a jot tea late at night I called front desk 4 times and they hung up on me. I had to go down and they would not even give me one tea bag while every hotel in the world always provide this for free in their rooms.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank globesurfer11
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Called to confirm we will be a day late. They cancelled our booking, I was told that we were a no show. Offered me a single room when I had pre booked and paid for a queen. The room stunk like someone had been smoking in there for 20 years with out opening a window. There were dirty used band aids (plasters)on the floor, along with bottle tops. The bed spreads had holes in them. The staff did not admit their fault with giving away our room and no compensation. I stayed else where. I'm still waiting on a refund.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tipratnat
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I had read some reviews and was worried about staying here. However flight centre had it on their list and it was close to the railway station. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The location is very central easy walk to the railway station in down town LA. The room and ensuite very clean and tidy. Really it is the carpet in the common areas/ hallways that needs to be renewed. The decor is older style but that adds to the character of the place and in keeping with many parts of LA. Lots of travelers coming and going.

Room Tip: I forgot to ask for a non smoking room - but they staff happily moved me
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank AussieKate13
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Value for money. Old style but if it is refurbished they should keep some of the old fittings. It would lose something if it were to be "plasticised". I was amazed to see how close we were to the Los Angeles Philharmonic Hall so a good venue for theatre goers. One stop on the Metro to the wonderful Union station.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple