“Never stay here!”

Ranked #249 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
London
“Never stay here!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed at the Kawada hotel overnight on Sunday 29th June 2014.

I checked in at around 6pm and headed up to my room. Only one of the two lifts was working and the staircase is emergency use only so there was a bit of a wait.

I arrived at my room and the first two things I noticed were the smell and the size of the room. I wasn't sure what the smell was, but it was incredibly overpowering and unpleasant, to the point where I didn't want to open my suitcase in case it made my clothes smell! The room was very small and extremely dated - like something from the 1950's! The room was very dark and had a window (which I couldn't open) that looked out onto a rooftop.

I was very hungry and went to reception to ask where I could get something to eat, they said pretty much everywhere was closed except for a bar, a Japanese food market and a subway/711 which were a few blocks down. I headed to the subway and noticed as soon as you head south out of the hotel you enter a different world. Homeless people lined the streets, most of these were off their face and acting aggressively to passers by, there were people blatantly using drugs and I even saw a drug deal! It's a shame because there were some nice views of the skyscrapers - but I didn't want to get my phone out to photograph it.

I returned to the room at the hotel to eat my food. I tried to watch tv but unfortunately none of the channels worked. I decided to call it a night as I had to be up early the following morning to meet a tour group. I woke up at around 0630 to get ready. I went into the bathroom and tried to use the bath/shower. No luck! The tap wasn't working and just leaked out water from the pipe. I didn't have time to flag this up with the hotel so had to resort to using a flannel. I checked out shortly after and was spoken to by a rude and abrupt man at the reception desk. I informed him that the tv and shower weren't working and he asked whether it was the tap. I said yes and he said "ok". He didn't offer any form of apology or explanation and only muttered "sorry" after he saw the look on my face!

In summary, this is a very poor hotel in a very poor location. Please don't make the same mistake I did by ignoring the other poor reviews. DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed June 2014
6 Thank Tom_93_UK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel is classified as a 2-star property on Priceline. In my view the hardware is older but well-maintained. My room was clean & functional. All the staff i met were courteous and helpful. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: My room was quiet. I gather from some of the other reviews that some rooms can be noisy due to adjo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Pean L
Preston
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I was expecting nightmares after seeing some of the Trip Advisor reviews on here, but it was fine, and I'd say that next time I stay in L.A. I'll most likely opt for the same place.

In terms of prices, I haven't looked at other places enough to know if it was cheap or not. It didn't seem too bad to me for staying in a decent location in Downtown L.A, but I can't accurately comment. The room was a bit shabby, but it is a two star hotel so I wasn't expecting luxury. My main problem was the lighting. It didn't let much daylight in so it was dark, but I wasn't in the room that much anyway. The main thing is that it was clean and comfortable to sleep in. I didn't hear any noise at night.

The staff are excellent and really helped me out, I can't fault them there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Samantha C
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Worst hotel I've ever stayed in. Nightclub downstairs opens until 3am and it feels like you've entered the club the second you enter your room. Room was shaking every night until 3am when we could finally go to sleep. Second day there was a World Cup match being played on a big screen in the nightclub and we were woken at 7am by drums and the Mexican national anthem. When we complained about the noise the desk clerk joked that he could ask the nightclub to "keep it down" and that we could not switch rooms. Cleanliness of room is awful and toilet didn't work when we got there. Some areas around the hotel are sketchy at night and I was asked "would you like to buy some weed cracker?" This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Wouldn't stay here again even if I was paid to.

Room Tip: My only tip is to book a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew B

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

San diego
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I was staying at The Kawada with a large group at the end of a 5 week camping tour, after our visit I wished that I'd stick with the tent!
Dated and shabby decor, and an overpowering smell in the hallways that can only be likened to that of a poorly kept nursing home. Turns out the smell in the hallway was pleasant compared to what was waiting in the room, a stale smoky smell that suggested someone had been smoking in the room with the windows shut since the early 70s (I had to launder all my clothes again when I got to my next hotel as they all stank of stale smoke.)
The bedding was stained and had cigarette burns in, me and my roommate slept in our sleeping bags...and when I say 'slept' I mean 'laid on the bed while dubstep played so loudly the floor vibrated until he early hours of the morning.'

The bathroom was clean though!

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank ToddBootini
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

This place is HUGELY over priced for what you get!

We had a pathetically tiny room - smallest run down hotel room I have seen!
We had two separate single beds pushed side by side, one of which was some sort of roller bed & it squeaked and creaked at any movement, the other wasn't on
wheels but was of the same standard.
The beds were different heights, only one thin pillow each, found hairs on the fleece blanket on one of the beds.

Barely any room to put your bags so they were always in the way.
The air con unit in the room was so noisy but we needed it on.
Air con unit outside the room was also horrendously loud, barely slept at all, it was just too noisy.
Bathroom was very very small, average shower.

Marks on the walls, outside window was absolutely disgusting - don't think it's ever been cleaned.

Didn't feel very safe in the area but this was booked by an agent so make sure you ask questions!

On the upside, the day time staff were very helpful & polite but I personally will never stay here again & would advise doing your research prior, even on the area.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 708655
Amsterdam
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed here on the 30th and 31st of May 2014. It is convenient, the staff are lovely, but the nightclub downstairs kept me up my second night and after I had been told that I'd be getting a call to apologize from the manager, I never got a call. Many hotels nearby to choose from, no reason to book here.

Room Tip: Get a room in a higher floor if you don't appreciate loud music.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple