Kawada Hotel
Hotel Angeleno(Los Angeles)(Great Value!)
US$216
US$164
  • Pool
Gateway Hotel Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
US$220
US$215
US$132
US$119
US$462
US$450
  • Breakfast included
The Westin Los Angeles Airport(Los Angeles)(Great Value!)
US$193
US$320
US$245
  • Pool
Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel(Los Angeles)(Great Value!)
US$136
US$174
US$138
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewsgrand central markethill streetthe walt disney concert hallrooms are smallbit datedunion stationmoca
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This hotel is excellent value and in an interesting location. I stayed in this area because of the Walt Disney Concert Hall. It is a hilly area, and there’s a bit of a climb to the Walt, but the hot weather hadn’t really set in. There is normally a funicular thingo called Angel Flight, but it seems to be closed for repairs; so take your time and climb. The whole area seemed pretty safe. A few homeless people hang around Broadway and ask for money, but they don’t seem to hassle people (you can’t give to everyone), just ask and move on if you shake your head.

The Grand Central Markets are nearby for cheap breakfasts and very reasonable coffee. I found some good places to eat and shop. Handy for buses to Santa Monica, LACMA or wherever else you want to go.

Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. The room is small but was fine for one person. Everything worked, and there was some storage space, though lying the bag flat to unpack required the use of the bed.
Only one soap, which I always find mean; do hotels think we are happy to move the soap from the shower to the basin and back constantly? We’re not. But Day 2 produced a new cake. Thanks, housekeeping. The kitchen is empty, so be prepared to request plates and cutlery. Don’t know if you can request a toaster; not on the list. I did request an iron and ironing board and more pillows, and they arrived promptly.

American toilet paper is the pits, and this was down there with the average. Shower fine.
The desk chair is very comfortable and deserves special mention!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank EJHSydney
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed at the Kawada hotel overnight on Sunday 29th June 2014.

I checked in at around 6pm and headed up to my room. Only one of the two lifts was working and the staircase is emergency use only so there was a bit of a wait.

I arrived at my room and the first two things I noticed were the smell and the size of the room. I wasn't sure what the smell was, but it was incredibly overpowering and unpleasant, to the point where I didn't want to open my suitcase in case it made my clothes smell! The room was very small and extremely dated - like something from the 1950's! The room was very dark and had a window (which I couldn't open) that looked out onto a rooftop.

I was very hungry and went to reception to ask where I could get something to eat, they said pretty much everywhere was closed except for a bar, a Japanese food market and a subway/711 which were a few blocks down. I headed to the subway and noticed as soon as you head south out of the hotel you enter a different world. Homeless people lined the streets, most of these were off their face and acting aggressively to passers by, there were people blatantly using drugs and I even saw a drug deal! It's a shame because there were some nice views of the skyscrapers - but I didn't want to get my phone out to photograph it.

I returned to the room at the hotel to eat my food. I tried to watch tv but unfortunately none of the channels worked. I decided to call it a night as I had to be up early the following morning to meet a tour group. I woke up at around 0630 to get ready. I went into the bathroom and tried to use the bath/shower. No luck! The tap wasn't working and just leaked out water from the pipe. I didn't have time to flag this up with the hotel so had to resort to using a flannel. I checked out shortly after and was spoken to by a rude and abrupt man at the reception desk. I informed him that the tv and shower weren't working and he asked whether it was the tap. I said yes and he said "ok". He didn't offer any form of apology or explanation and only muttered "sorry" after he saw the look on my face!

In summary, this is a very poor hotel in a very poor location. Please don't make the same mistake I did by ignoring the other poor reviews. DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed: June 2014
6  Thank Tom_93_UK
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel is classified as a 2-star property on Priceline. In my view the hardware is older but well-maintained. My room was clean & functional. All the staff i met were courteous and helpful. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: My room was quiet. I gather from some of the other reviews that some rooms can be noisy due to adjoining night club?
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Pean L
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I was expecting nightmares after seeing some of the Trip Advisor reviews on here, but it was fine, and I'd say that next time I stay in L.A. I'll most likely opt for the same place.

In terms of prices, I haven't looked at other places enough to know if it was cheap or not. It didn't seem too bad to me for staying in a decent location in Downtown L.A, but I can't accurately comment. The room was a bit shabby, but it is a two star hotel so I wasn't expecting luxury. My main problem was the lighting. It didn't let much daylight in so it was dark, but I wasn't in the room that much anyway. The main thing is that it was clean and comfortable to sleep in. I didn't hear any noise at night.

The staff are excellent and really helped me out, I can't fault them there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Samantha C
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Worst hotel I've ever stayed in. Nightclub downstairs opens until 3am and it feels like you've entered the club the second you enter your room. Room was shaking every night until 3am when we could finally go to sleep. Second day there was a World Cup match being played on a big screen in the nightclub and we were woken at 7am by drums and the Mexican national anthem. When we complained about the noise the desk clerk joked that he could ask the nightclub to "keep it down" and that we could not switch rooms. Cleanliness of room is awful and toilet didn't work when we got there. Some areas around the hotel are sketchy at night and I was asked "would you like to buy some weed cracker?" This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Wouldn't stay here again even if I was paid to.

Room Tip: My only tip is to book a different hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple