“Exceptional Service Makes a Big Difference”

Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel
Ranked #17 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Red Deer, Canada
“Exceptional Service Makes a Big Difference”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

After my recent stay, I asked myself what makes the difference between exceptional or outstanding service, which I’ve experienced elsewhere, and the extra something that was evident at this hotel. The thing I’ve been able to identify is that their employees are obviously well trained to deliver great service but in addition to this they also like working there and appear to enjoy the people they interact with. They were joyful and happy to do their jobs and we very much noticed and appreciated this distinction. People who genuinely like their jobs and their boss and their co-workers plus the people they are of service to is actually something that can’t be trained and is not easily defined but we all definitely know if when we see it. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank sonjaskage

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2011

This was my second stay at this property in the last 3 months and I can easliy say that it will not be the last. The service and the grounds are impeccable! The beds are quite comfortable, although just as the previous reviewer, I too confirmed a King bed and was given two doubles instead. I did not question the room switch since it was just me staying for the 3 nights. The restaurant on the property is very good, a little pricey but very good. The first night I stayed I had the Braised Short Rib Risotto...ridiculously good! Overall this was an excellent trip and I would recommend to business travelers who like spacious rooms and great service!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2011

I am still actually staying here. I agree with everyone else that said its very noisy at this hotel. Its halfway through february and I read in another review that they planned on fixing it sometime in february. I really hope they do. I brought my girlfriend here for valentines day and really wish I hadn't wasted my money bringing her here. We arrived today feb 13 at around 3pm. expecting a welcome package since that was part or what I payed for as a suite package. It is now exactly 10:20pm and I am still waiting for it. I have called the front desk 3 times and they have reapetedly said it was on its way. Im still waiting. Another big setback was that the television was all blurry for about two hours until it "warmed up" and then it finally cleared up. I was going to update to the vista suite and the front desk lady first told me it would cost me $80 then a couple minutes later told me it wuld cost $100(come tolater find out they really only cost$ 40 to upgrade). Very unhappy w my experience I have stayed at hotels that are cheaper than this place around the area and have had way better experiences elsewhere. I am only 23 years old so im not super picky or hard to please. I just really expected alot more. I work really hard for my money and really feel dispointed about the way my experience was at this hotel. They could have at least compensated me a little bit for all the trouble I had but the people at the front desk really didn't seem to care. If manegement reads this and feels a need to hopefully somehow make things right I can be reached at [--]. if not oh well I guess that's how you guys like doing business and it sucks for a hardworking guy like me.

• Stayed February 2011
LuxeGM, General Manager at Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2011
Dear maxornelas,

We do care about your experience and want everything to exceed your expectations when you stay with us. I am sorry your room type request was not fulfilled. Whenever possible we will upgrade upon availabilty if the room is not what you had hoped for, in your case without any additional fee. I will look into why this did not happen. Our televisions are relatively new wall mounted models and do not require any time to warm up. Occasionally there are wiring glitches that cause reception and image quality but those may be quickly rectified. Please contact me directly at the hotel and I will be happy to discuss remedies to the shortfalls you noted in your review and hope you consider staying with us in the future.

Reg Archambault
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2011

I took advantage of a sale on Jetsetter (by Gilt group) at the Luxe Sunset Blvd for a trip to LA. I go a few times a year to visit friends/family and have stayed at many hotels in a range of prices. I was excited for the Luxe, but I'm highly disappointed.

First, we requested a king bed, the request wasn't honored even though it was on my confirmation form.Tthey said they never received the bed request and apparently the hotel was completely booked so they were unable to give us a king room or upgrade us (or so they say). The two double beds are comfortable, but not big enough for two people comfortably...

Next, room wasn't totally clean and some towels has weird stains.

Worst of all he hotel was VERY loud. We got here yesterday and at midnight when we were trying to get to sleep the TV was blaring in the next room and people were talking all over the place. I understand there are other guests here, but the walls are paper thin and we had a horrible sleep, the noise started again at 6am. Not very fun after a flight from the East coast and the time change. We're in our 20's, so we have a high tolerance for noise, but this was ridiculous.

The one saving grace is some of the staff, they promtly brought us new towels, some softer pillows and earplugs (though those didn't help) as soon as we requested them.

I'm really disappointed with my experience and will never get anything on Jetsetter again either! We still have one more night here and I want out.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lottieeb
Dear lottieeb,

It is unusual for us to be short of king bedded accomodations. 57 of our 160 guest rooms are suites and the majority of the remaining rooms have king beds. Regardless, you did not receive your requested room type and I am sorry about that. All rooms are cleaned twice daily and checked independently by supervisors to insure all standards are met. We process all our linens here on property and have an agressive program to remove any item that is worn or in poor condition for whatever reason.

Connecting rooms do have issues with sound traveling between rooms. We are currently undertaking steps to correct this. In addition, we are actively retrofitting any room with extra insulation when we have any noise complaint. You deserve a clean, well appointed and quiet room along wth personalized service. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to earn your business going forward.

Reg Archambault
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

Having stayed at this hotel about a dozen times over the years, it has become one of my favorites -- and I spend about 75 nights a year in hotels around the world year after year. As in any property, there are some operational problems from time to time, but they are always dealt with promptly and well. The Executive Suite rooms are spacious and extremely comfortable -- and a great value. I particularly like the rooms facing the pool in the upper part of the hotel. They are quiet and it is like being in an oasis of calm. Walking down the hill to the restaurant area is only a two minute effort, and if you don't want to walk back up the friendly and courteous staff quickly provide a ride. Unlike most hotel restaurants, the restaurant cuisine is excellent and it is a quiet place, a delightful place for a business breakfast or dinner -- with no need to yell to be heard. If you are looking for a boutique property in an unusual setting, the one is a winner.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank USvalueseeker
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2011

Myself and my good friend came to L.A for a shopping trip in Dec 2010 and This Hotel was not my first choice when i was looking for a place to stay, but i am SO glad we stayed there!
Nothing was too much trouble and all staff were amazing from the valet and house-keeping to the front desk, they were all friendly and very helpful. The room are a good size- we had a room with two comfy double beds and the room never felt small-even when we filled it with lots of great L.A shopping! The Hotel is beautifly styled and the bar and resturant is lovely. The Hotel is in two halves and We stayed up near the pool-which is so nice. The Location is great and quite central, but you do need a car, but again everyone who comes to L.A knows that. There is a nice village(brentwood) down the road and the Hotel offer a free shuttle to guests who wish to go down there for dinner etc, the Getty is also very close.
If I could be picky, the gym is not very good, but at the end of the day, we weren't in L.A to exercise, we were there to SHOP! And sometime we could hear the people in the room up above us. And wish the bathroom was bigger,but what girl doesn't!
This hidden treasure is a must for the traveller who wants a quiet nights sleep and personal service. I must give a big thanks to the conciegre Debbie, who made our trip extra special.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank dakazibear
Guelph, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

I should begin by acknowledging that some of our complaints about our stay (see below) resulted in an adjustment to our daily rate by the Operations Manager at the hotel, Sherwin Banda. The General Manager, Reginald Archambault, seen defending the hotel in numerous posts on TripAdvisor, was not at the property when I inquired.

I also can echo comments made by other guests that the location is extremely convenient if your plans include visits to the Getty Center or Bel Air, Beverly Hills or Hollywood. The valet service, while expensive and your only parking option, was very efficient and courteous. The housekeeping was generally very good although they frequently left all of the lights on in the room (not our problem but not very energy conscious). In general, the staff at the front desk was well-intentioned.

Having said all of the foregoing, I can think of no circumstance where I would recommend to anyone that they stay in this hotel. First off, the structure is poorly suited physically to be a luxury hotel. We were told by hotel staff that the property started life as student housing for UCLA in the 1950s. As noted by others, the rooms are contained in two unconnected, two-storey buildings separated by a steep hill others have estimated as being 200 meters. The front desk, underground parking, “business center”, restaurant and some guest rooms are located in the lower building while the balance of the guest rooms, the “gym”, pool and spa are located at the upper building. As other reviewers have noted, the walls apparently are paper thin as you can hear your neighbors talking, coughing and using their toilets.

Upon checking in, we elected to avail ourselves of an upgrade to an Executive Suite for an additional $40 per night. The room was larger as was the bathroom with a double sink; however, the bed was immediately in front of the door allowing any passerby a view of the occupied bed if the door was opened which would make most women, in particular, quite uncomfortable. There was a seating area located in an alcove in the room but there was a pillar in the middle of it suggesting that perhaps the area, at one time, had been part of another room or an outside patio that had been enclosed. The bathroom lacked sufficient counter space and had only a single towel bar.

There was a single rather than a double connecting door with the next room. For room security, rather than the common swinging latch seen in most hotels these days, there was an old fashioned chain lock but only a single screw held the mounting in place on the door frame. Also, in the hallway leading to our room, a service door to the outside was repeatedly left ajar further adding to one’s sense of insecurity.

One morning a roach appeared on the bed (fortunately, no bed bugs). After killing it, I showed it to management whose defense was that it wasn’t a roach but wasn’t really sure what kind of bug it was. We were also told that when it rains, insects find their way into the rooms. My view is that this would not be the case if (a) the sliding glass doors in the rooms were properly fitted and (b) the hotel had regular service from an exterminator.

There were repeated problems with hot water in the shower. On two days, only one of us could take a shower as the hot water ran out. On another occasion, the water kept getting hotter and hotter suggesting that there was no scald protection in the plumbing fixture. In addition, at all times, there was weak water pressure.

On two of the four days of our stay, there was no paper delivered to the room. They “ran out”.

The entrance to the hotel restaurant is a sliding glass door leading from an outside courtyard. The restaurant is effectively “land locked” with no interior entrance for guests (inconvenient to uncomfortable if it is raining or cold outside). The floors are uneven in both the rooms and in the restaurant. The sliding glass doors in both leaked when it rained. One restaurant patron complained his feet were getting wet because he was seated near the windows. Workers from the hotel put up a makeshift barrier outside of our room by placing a sheet of plastic film along the sliding glass doors and pinned it in place by moving the plastic patio chairs close to the doors. The carpeting in our room appeared to have been recently “restored” (but still stained) following likely flooding from torrential rains in Southern California the previous week. Further evidence of poor attention to detail was the fact that light fixtures, a/c vents, mirrors, etc. were rarely level or square.

The workout room or “gym” was located in a converted small guest room with limited equipment. The walk up the hill on several cool mornings was quite “brisk”. The “business center” was the size of a modest, windowless closet where one of the two computers available was out of service during our entire four day stay.

Finally, for breakfast one morning in the hotel restaurant, I found that the milk on my cereal had soured and curdled. Because the regular coffee was awful, I ordered a latte but the milk in it had also gone sour. Both items were readily replaced by the attentive wait staff.

Based on reviews on TripAdvisor and comments from some local residents, it would appear that the nearby Hotel Angeleno (a former Holiday Inn) would be a much better alternative to the (mis-named) Luxe on Sunset.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ptesche
LuxeGM, General Manager at Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2011
Luxe Hotel Sunset Blvd. has always been a hotel. Originally, it was the Bel-Air Sands and was under the Radisson flag before becoming an independent upscale property. I am not sure where the UCLA housing rumor generated but I will follow up with staff to make sure we are giving the right information. Perhaps our proximity to the campus is the reason.

Regardless, it is an older property and was completely renovated in 2007-2008. Sound proofing was not addressed during renovation and we are addressing this with post construction remedies that are available to us. Door closures, flashing and connecting doors will all be fitted by the end of 2011. The locking system on the doors themselves is very good, although all service doors should be closed as you pointed out. I have addressed this with our Housekeeping and Maintenance departments.

We do have a regular extermination service that covers the entire property. Due to our hillside location we do get flying insects at times but no reports of roach or rodent activity. We continuously replace any door or window that is compromised in any way. I do not know the nature of the insect that was in your guest room but I am certainly sorry it affected your stay and overall perception of the hotel.

The hot water tank at the Spa level was in need of service and since your visit we closed that section of the hotel for three days and repaired and relined the tank. Pipes leading from it were also replaced.

Newspapers are generally plentiful. We order 10% more than our forecasted occupancy. I am a newspaper reader too and can imagine your disappointment. We should have simply gotten more papers when the supply was depleted. I will make sure this does not happen again. Restaurant doors do require refitting and water proofing. We will undertake this project in February. As you know, Los Angeles received six months worth of rain in five days the week of your stay. A huge amount but our facilities should and will be able to withstand heavy rains.

I do take your comments to heart and will take whatever steps are necessary to improve our shortcomings. I hope you consider staying with us again. We offer a unique setting and our employees are very genuine, service oriented and friendly. You mention the Angelino in your Trip Advisor review. There is no question their rates are consistently lower than ours but I believe the overall product and experience is superior at our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to join us again and I will personally see to it you have a memorable stay for all the right reasons.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Beverly Hills
Luxe Rodeo Drive Hotel
Luxe Rodeo Drive Hotel
#5 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel? Share your experiences!