“Accommodating”
Review of Metro Plaza Hotel

Metro Plaza Hotel
Ranked #147 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We were on a trip to Los Angeles to visit Hollywood and Universal Studios. We stayed for 3 days and 2 nights. I love the location! I wasn't sure if it was a safe location though but what mattered was it was just a 5 minute walk going to the Union Station so we could go around L.A. The staff there was friendly and accommodating. One time when i checked-in, the front desk clerk saw the number of luggage we had so she upgraded our room for free. The room she gave was bigger and all 13 of our luggage was inside the room and we could still walk around. Quite a big room. A/C was cold and we didn't have any problems with it. Their bathroom included a bath tub as well as shampoo and lotion.
Bed was not that comfortable but you wouldn't ask for more as the hotel was getting old and even the pillow was really flat.
They serve continental breakfast, I believe from 6-9am. Coffee is 24/7. great if you love coffee. You can also get water anytime you want. It's just in front of the elevators and there's also a vending machine. Overall i'd recommend this place to my friends who want to go and visit around Los Angeles. It's just a 5-minute walk to Union Station, place seems safe and good thing is that the streets over there was well-lit. Just don't set your expectations too high.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nico M
There are newer reviews for Metro Plaza Hotel

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I was not sure of the area, but needed some place close to Amtrak station. Metro Plaza was close (2 blocks?) and walkable at night (lighted streets/busy area) - so I felt safe hauling my roller bag to the hotel. I could even see their sign from the Amtrak Station. The hotel staff was very nice and friendly. The room was large w/wi-fi and flat screen along with nice and clean bathroom. There was a lot to do in the area around the hotel (I had to spend the day) - China Town, Olvera Street were close and an easy walk.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Ann-Marie C
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Needing to overnight near Union Station, this hotel served its purpose. A little rough around the edges (the keycards still weren't working, so staff had to let us into our room whenever we wanted access), the place showed signs of deferred maintenance. Nonetheless, the bathroom
had been decently upgraded, and the bed was comfortable. Staff was helpful, and stored our luggage while we strolled the Old Town while waiting for our train out the next evening.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank producewagon
Reviewed 16 March 2014

On the day that I stayed here their keycards weren't working and you had to find a security guard to let you into your room, which was a big inconvenience. (I believe that this has since been fixed.)

Other than this, the room was nice and clean and the wifi worked. One of the staff members was very friendly and helpful but I found the rest quite abrupt. When I went down for breakfast at 9.40 I was told quite rudely "breakfast finishes at 9.30".

The location is good if you want to be near Union Station or Chinatown but some of the areas around the hotel are not that safe. Ask the hotel staff if in doubt.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This was to closest hotel to the Los Angeles Train Station. We arrived around 9 pm on the train and were able to walk to the hotel. Rooms were clean and well appointed. Internet worked. Breakfast was good. We were close enough to walk back and pick up a rental car in the morning and the hotel gave us a parking pass to their parking structure so we could load up our luggage. A very good value and great location for our needs.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LFM1615
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

This modestly priced hotel is a short walk from the LA Amtrak Station. It is near Chinatown and an area with Mexican themed outdoor shops and Mexican restaurants.
Our hotel room was large, with a comfortable bed, a desk, and a small table with 2 padded chairs. The included breakfast featured cereal, bagels, English muffins, small sweet muffins, fresh fruit, coffee and juice.
There is nothing fancy about Metro Plaza, but it is functional, comfortable, and well located. The staff was helpful and cheerful. I don't think there is a better choice for train travelers.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KMSChicago_IL
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

I'm Local, coming from The South Bay near LAX. I decided a while ago to create a solution against having to battle the Monday morning commute getting to L.A.'s Iconic "Union Station" to catch Amtrak's famed long distance train "The Coast Starlight" (L.A. to Seattle) which departs at 10:00am daily. My friend from The Sacramento Delta region was joining me here by taking "The San Joaquin" down to Bakersfield then "Amtrak Thruway Bus" to L.A.'s "Union Station" late Sunday night. Our solution was to have a room at this hotel, which offers us a three minute walk over to LAUS. The room I received was fairly priced at $109 with Two comfy Double Beds, but being Grammys night at Staples Center the hotels nearby were outrageously priced and really - the main reason was to be near "Union Station". I'm pleased this particular hotel was so close, it truly gave me 'peace of mind' that we didn't have to worry about being late for Amtrak's "Coast Starlight". For locals who don't like to worry about morning traffic (From Redondo Beach To DTLA it can be ONE HOUR by taking 405 North-105 East to 110 North) Trust Me, if you are taking an early morning Amtrak train, please consider staying here. It's worth it. Four Claws Up!!!! Joe the Bear - typing this from Metro Plaza Hotel Room #404

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends