“Great hotel”
Review of The LINE

The LINE
Ranked #42 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This hotel opened in Jan 2014 and it ticks all the boxes, it's polished concrete walls and steel conduct for cables make it very modern in appearance and huge windows make for a very light room, we had a room at the back with views of the Hollywood sign, oh yeah and electric operated blinds at the windows are fun to use from the comfort of your bed.
Steve
England.

• Stayed: April 2014
AlexaHall, Guest Relations Manager at The LINE, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Steve P

Thanks for your feedback. Its great t o hear you loved our rooms.

Please come back soon.

Alexa

Write a ReviewReviews (1,008)

Reviewed 17 April 2014

A business trip this time, but could easily have been a romantic getaway here at The Line in the heart of LA. Right in the heart of Koreatown, the hotel is about 15 minutes from the Melrose dining corridor (Mozza, Providence, Hatfields, etc) and about 20 minutes to Hollywood. Great vibe in the hotel downstairs. Trendy, hip and youthful. Easy valet parking. Easy check-in. Great rooms (ask for room facing the hollywood hills). Comfortable bed. Floor-to-ceiling windows (great views of the hills!). Amazing minibar. Copain Pinot Noir in the room. Room service from Roy Choi. Locally made bath products. Great almond breakfast pastries. Delicious cocktails downstairs at the bar. Pool opening up soon, so I'll have to check it on the next trip. I will be back!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the rooms overlooking the hills. Quieter than those facing Wilshire.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jim K
AlexaHall, Guest Relations Manager at The LINE, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Jim K,

Thank you for your recent review. We are delighted to hear you had such a wonderful stay.

You certainly know great restaurants!! Some of my personal favorites.
We would love to have you back, hopefully next time for a leisure. You can relax at our new Pool Deck.

Please email our Senior Guest Experience Manager, Josh Brown the next time you are in town, he will ensure you are looked after. His email is jbrown@thelinehotel.com

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Top quality hotel, really convenient public transport to get around the city, wonderful service. Blackout curtains allowed a perfect night's rest. We arrived much earlier than check-in (8am) and were immediately given our key.

Room Tip: Higher floors ensure less noise from the bar and view towards Hollywood is magnificent
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear daena_wh,

Thank you for sharing such wonderful feedback on our property.

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay. Our location is perfect, just minutes from public transportation and in close proximity of great restaurants and bars.

We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Open for just a few months at the time of our visit, the Line is an eagerly awaited and heavily promoted new boutique hotel in LA's Koreatown. Other Lines are expected in other US cities in the not too distant future. The location is excellent, with I-10 five minutes away and the purple line metro across the street. As long as you like Korean food, there are plenty of places to eat locally, but otherwise downtown is an easy $1.50 metro ride away.

The property itself is a 1950s/60s slab block, with two parallel wings slightly offset from each other. South-facing rooms look onto Wilshire Boulevard and the office buildings opposite, while north-facing rooms look over the low rise buildings to the north and towards the Hollywood Hills. For a view you want to be on this side and on at least the eighth floor or higher. I'm told that south-facing rooms depend on air conditioning not to overheat.

Check in was confusing and chaotic. A private party was lined up at the entrance so we were rushed to unload the car. There is a big parking garage but it's valet only, and this is $35 plus a tip. The valet staff are understandably obsequious because they're making bank. The hotel claims that this price is comparable with other properties in LA, but it's overcharging for the price point the hotel is pegging its rooms at.

The hotel has a big open plan reception and lobby bar. This being a new hotel, bar and restaurant in LA, it is achingly hip, and the music is as loud as a nightclub. We didn't mind this but it's a very brash way to set the hotel's ambience. We had cocktails here on our first night, and the speed of service was glacial - it took almost 15 minutes for a server to notice us and 10 more to deliver drinks.

Setting these poor initial impressions aside, the real success of this hotel is in the rooms. Upon renovation the hotel was stripped of almost all its interior décor. Throughout the hotel, plaster has been cut away to reveal bare concrete beneath. New carpets, pale wood fixtures and other remnants of the old hotel (such as the textured ceilings of the corridors) all work together to create a unique and really distinctive look.

There are flaws, but the rooms are the highlight. Each follows the standard footprint of the old hotel's rooms, but the key difference is that the beds are now facing out of the window instead of across the room. This reduces space a bit, but on the other hand provides you superb views from your pillow and a spacious desk which you can reach from the bed. The décor is superb: bare concrete walls with contemporary framed prints and a metal sculpture on one wall. The bed is very comfortable with high quality linens and excellent pillows.

All rooms have floor to ceiling and wall to wall windows, although these haven't been refurbished along with the property. Two blinds (sheer and blackout, the later of which are dyed different colours on the outside to give the hotel facade a colourful appearance) can be controlled from the bedside. Jet lag may have woken us very early both mornings, but we did at least get to luxuriate in this fine bed as we watched the sky change colour and the sun rise over LA.

The downsides of the room are mostly niggles. Firstly, the wifi signal was strong but never worked. We could connect to it but the signal always dropped within 30 seconds. A call was put through to remote IT support but no solution was found. Secondly the room is supposedly all wired up for you to plug and play your own devices trough the sound system, but the in desk control panel was dead and there was no indication of how to use it or how to run sound trough the tv. There's a bedside clock radio with an old-style iPhone dock, but this flummoxed us even more. There's a flatscreen TV hanging by the window, but it's too high to be comfortably viewed from bed.

The biggest drawback of the room is that it for American standards, it is tiny, and facing the bed out of the window only reduces useable space even more. There was insufficient space for us to open our bags, so within half an hour of check in the modern minimalist chic was completely lost under our piles of clothes. Wardrobe space is very limited.

The bathroom is cute and chintzy, with a gold framed oval mirror on a mirror and chunky old faucets - possibly those from the old hotel. Water pressure and temperature was good, although there were no feminine hygiene bags and there was no trash can with a lid in the bathroom.

There is a minibar and amenity basket but the prices are absurd: $10 for Fiji water, $20 for can of "champagne", $10 for condoms, etc. The selection is also poor: four kinds of beer, all of them big brand lager. Breakfast can be delivered to your room, cooked dishes are all around the $10-12 mark, but we ate out instead.

We stayed two nights at the Line and left with mixed impressions. In spite of the technical faults, the rooms are fabulous and the experience of waking up on our first morning in LA to see the night sky turning pink and blue with dawn will be unforgettable. The downside is that at the prices currently being charged for the rooms, the hotel is overcharging for services and amenities (mandatory valet parking, for example). The quality of some details (Pringles potato chips and Bud Light in the minibar) doesn't live up to the standards being aimed for by the hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank James B
AlexaHall, Guest Relations Manager at The LINE, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear James B,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay.

Overall its great to hear that our rooms made such an impression on you. The rooms are incredible and the views are awesome to wake up to.

I am sorry that your check-in didn't go as smooth as it should have and I will be follwowing up on this.

We hope you will return in the near future.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

SUPER friendly staff. I was staying four nights and got a personal note from the guest relations manager welcoming me and the room looked very nice. Trouble with the free WiFi reception was solved by issuing me a JetPack -- even though there were repeaters all along my corridor my room was a dead zone. Very cool pop-up outlets on the desk but they were dead. And the A/C kept dropping (had three maintenance visits over my stay to fix this). I heard from one of my drivers that this hotel had been a Radisson and apparently when the new owners did the renovations there were some corners cut.
The nightclub-restaurant downstairs is a real hot spot -- even as a hotel guest there was a 45 minute wait to get a table at 2145 on a Tuesday night, so I never did manage to eat there. I would be worried if given a room on one of the lower floors as the lobby bar is very loud (on the 12th floor I didn't hear a peep, so this is just a guess on my part).
Valet staff are numerous and quick to retrieve cars.
Have to say again that the staff did absolutely everything that they could to make things right (including offering me a different room after the third A/C issue) and they waived the parking fees due to the inconveniences.
Oh, don't try to open the blank panel on the desk, it is a cover for the wiring of the multimedia jacks and power outlets and is not for guest use.
There is a little cafe in the lobby that opens nice and early, decent cappuccino made by a guy who actually knew what he was doing, fresh assorted pastries.

Room Tip: As noted above, I would ask for a higher floor in an abundance of caution on the nightclub noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank LDWG
AlexaHall, Guest Relations Manager at The LINE, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear LDWG,

Thank you for providing with feedback from your recent stay. I am truly sorry you experienced difficulties with the WIFI. This is something we are working hard on to improve.

I am delighted to hear our staff and service made such an impression on you. This is something we are working hard on to ensure every guest feels like a VIP.

We would love you to come back when our Pool Deck opens. Please email our Senior Guest Experience Manager, Josh Brown the next time you plan to visit LA. He will make sure you are looked after. His email address is jbrown@thelinehotel.com.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I'm an LA local who was in need of a place to stay for a few weeks while my new condo is readied. I had wanted to try the Line as I was familiar with it and loved its modern industrial aesthetic. No disappointments here, especially on the staff front. From the valet crew to the front desk to the staff and the new Pot, I've yet to encounter anything but smiles and friendliness. Several people even remember me by name at this point.

Is this hotel perfect? No. But that's measuring it against some of the finest hotels in the world I've been fortunate to stay at. For what it is, it's pretty darn great. Some will say the rooms are small (which they are), but I'd say efficient. Views on the Hollywood side are pretty awesome-- 1029 is "my" room and I love spotting the Observatory each night as I'm nodding off.

In terms of public spaces-- the gym is small but functional and well-equipped. The pool is still being finished so no comment on that. The coffee bar/lounge is handy and cool, but prone to hipster invasion (hey-- it's new and in LA, what do you expect?). Pot is fun and tasty (caveat: I'm a veggie so there's much I haven't tried). Note for tourists, the Line's location is very central and its accessibility to public transpo is better than most places in LA save maybe some of the downtown hotels. If you're a foodie, a 10 min metro ride gets you into downtown for some of the most exciting restaurants happening in LA.

A few tiny dings. I know we're promoting a commuter ideal (which I support), but $32 for parking seems a tad high. This isn't San Francisco. A weird point that the bathroom vanity is really low (I'm 6' tall) but again that's nitpicking.

Overall, highly recommended (full disclosure, I was going to give it 4 stars as 5 implies total high end perfection, but thinking about the hotel- and the staff in particular, I went with 5).

Room Tip: Splurge for high floor, hill side if you can. It's pretty cool to sit on top of LA and look acr...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Waymon

Dear Waymon

We can not thank you enough for such a wonderful review. Its wonderful to hear that our service made such an impression and that you will come back soon.

Please get in touch with our Senior Guest Experience Manager, Josh Brown the next time you plan your stay. His email is jbrown@thelinehotel.com.

Regards,

Reviewed 11 April 2014

The staff could not be more courteous and helpful. Very cool decor, great views, and comfortable view. Easy accessibility to all points in city with Metro across the street . Will be my stop off point on all future LA trips .

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank kiwidoc13

Dear kiwidoc13,

Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay.

It is great to hear that our service made such an impression on you. We are really working hard to make sure service is our number one priorty.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards,