“3-Night Stay”

Ranked #217 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Fall City, Washington
“3-Night Stay”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I traveled to a business conference at the L.A. Convention Center that lasted three days. So, I needed three nights at a hotel within reasonable walking distance of the convention facility. When I booked I was grateful to find the Stillwell Hotel, charging only $75/night (compared with easily three times that amount for other nearby hotels). On arrival, I was concerned, though, by the outdated, and frankly somewhat shop-worn appearance of the hotel's exterior, lobby, elevators and the corridor on the floor leading to my room. Had I made a big mistake? As it turns out, my room was just fine for my needs - the flat-panel TV was sharp and clear and had a variety of channels I watched, the bed was as comfortable as I needed it to be; there was a microwave and small refrigerator; the room was clean and odor-free; the bathroom had hot water for shaving/showering (more than I can say for some much more expensive hotels), and the room had a secure pass-card lock. The staff at the reception desk was very courteous and helpful. In the evenings I also walked to several restaurants that were surprisingly nearby the Stillwell that were convention venues for our association and I felt safe enough walking around. So, looking back on my three night stay, I am very grateful for the inexpensive and convenient accommodations I had at the Stillwell, and would recommend it to other hearty business travelers. Thanks for the good stay, Stillwell Hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Mike A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The Stillwell Hotel was located in a great area. A block away from the high priced Sheriton. A ten minute walk to the Nokia Theatre, Staples Center and LA Convention Center. 5 minute walk to many restaurants, The Pantry, 7/11 and Rite Aid. Uncle John's Restaurant in the loby is great. Great walking all over downtown. We recieved what we asked for from Hotels.com requests; 10th floor(top floor) with morning sun! You can access the roof from the west stairwell. Great views! And private sun tanning!! No hidden costs added to the bill. The room was absolootly fine. Double bed, closet and bathroom. We asked for a hairdyer and they gave us one. I would stay there again for suuuure! We were there for 4 days. A surprise get away for my wife with tickets te the Hillsong Conference.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mcwannabee
California
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel about a year ago now (they actually have been doing some updating since I stayed, too!). The hotel is very budget, but is in a very convenient location smack in the middle of downtown LA. It is about a block from a full size grocery store and is walking distance to LA Live (which is where our event was). The front desk staff was very polite, and our room was clean. It is pretty outdated, but considering the price, I didn't expect more. The rooms are very large considering the age of the hotel (our closet was almost like a second room!). If you are low on cash and need to stay in downtown, this is the place to go. It's not top of the line, but I felt safe and the room was clean. I also had no issues of theft, which, I had to admit, I was fearful of considering the area. Please be aware there is no parking for this hotel that is free, but the lot next door has very nice workers (I actually attended FIDM which is right across the intersection from the hotel, and this is the lot I used while attending school). Your car will be safe here, just make sure to tell them you are staying at the hotel because they park the "overnight" cars in a certain place up front so you can come and go.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank IRoseA
Los Angeles
Reviewed 20 August 2013

This hotel was our 2nd on our trip to California. We enjoyed the great location, all the room had to offer and its very clean look. There was space to put things and we both liked it very much; Using public transportation it was great to see how much local bus service and light rail was within walking distance.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 Thank Tim G
Costa Mesa, California, United States
Reviewed 6 March 2013

i spent the night here,cause i was in LA for a concert. Anyways most of what i read for reviews of this place werent to far off. first of the front desk clerk was rude he was on his cell phone and tol us to wait. lobby was a mess and dirty then when he finally got of the phone he said "what do we want". no hello or high what a jerk, then when we got our key he didnt even tell us where the room was he just kind og threw the key at us and that was it. when he finally go to our room it was on the tenth floor we didnt mind that cause we go to go on the roof and get a wonderfull view of LA, but that was the only nice part of this place. Our room well i can say I've had better rooms at motels then this place the staff was rude and the plave just felt like it needs a facelift. But the place it was at felt safe i didnt need to worry about the people just the hotel was a mess. Smelled a bit off kinda like the pesitcide Raid. But again it was what you paid for if you guys with friends like i did i wont matter. But just like others have said it no frills and just a room and a bed, though the bed was really stiff

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Yves A

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

Well the location is great. Right in the middle of downtown and close to all the shops. Previously we stayed at "stay on main" (for a alot less) and the stillwell has a better location.

This hotel needs a facelift, asap. It's dated, old and tired. They dont even have working phones in the rooms.

Because we were on a budget, and stay on main was booked out, this was our other option. It did the job but it could be better. The owners are letting this hotels potential go down the drain.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank PerthieGirl
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Not exactly the most lavish place but if you're looking for a basic, no frills place to stay near the LA Expo center, this fits the bill.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business