“Run Away!”

Ranked #208 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Run Away!”
Reviewed 24 April 2006

This hotel was horrible. I stayed in the hotel during NBA All Star Weekend in Feb. 2004. All the other hotels were either overbooked or completely over priced. I should have knew something was horribly wrong with the Stillwell Hotel when they only charged 55.00 each night.

The hotel stunk the entire time. I had to hold my breath walking through the lobby or else I would gag. Also all the amenties were outdated. And old crusty tv, old crusty air conditioner....I did not feel comfortable walking barefoot on the carpet and did not sleep under the sheets. Also the bathroom reminded me of a dorm bathroom and again did not feel comfortable walking barefoot in the bathroom. Me and my friends wore shower shoes inside the bathtub when taking a shower.

One night I requested an iron, and they told me it would be a 30 minute wait for the iron, because they only had one in the entire hotel. When I did finally get the iron, the iron was from the 1970's. It had a plaid cord and was very heavy. It wasoutdated, and needless to say it didn't work.

Have I said that the hotel STUNK? It didn't just stink, it STANK.

One night I met young gentleman at a nightclub downtown. He was kind enough to walk me to my hotel, but I was too embarrassed for him to come inside the lobby. It was bad enough that he walked me to the dumpy place. This hotel is not for any tourists. It might be decent for local people who have no where else to go, but if you are traveling from out of town and want to experience L.A. then do NOT stay at this place.

Its horrible, and I can't believe that this hotel is still even in business!!

Run AWAY if you ever encounter this dump.

• Stayed February 2004
4 Thank kacietriplett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed 9 January 2006

Really not too bad but far from a Hyatt. Excellent location. Close to transportation. Downtown location a plus. The Indian resturant is good and the bar has cold beer. I was here two nights and plan to stay at the Stillwell in Feb. 2006. Very close to Union Station if you travel Amtrak.

• Stayed April 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Reviewed 16 August 2005

I saw the pictures on the internet and when I got there, it was disappointing. The hotel is really old, dirty and smells badly (like rotten food). My first thought was moving to another hotel, but I decided to give it a chance and asked the lady in the reception to show me a bedroom. In a rude way, she said she couldn't because they had no empty room at that time (really hard to believe!) and I would have to wait 3 hours to check in.
Moreover, I saw two scary men in the lobby, that seemed to be drunk and looked like beggars...
I decided to go to another place, but still had to pay the one night price!
Definitely, not recomended for girls traveling by themselves!

• Stayed August 2005, travelled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 December 2004

The Lonely Planet rates this place at the top of the list. The reviews here are at best mixed so i was unsure about this place. I found that the room and the washroom was clean and adequate for my purposes. I got some noise from the street (i was on the 8th floor) but that didn't really bother me.

This was my first time in LA and i had heard about how unsafe downtown is. A reviewers comments on how unsafe it was did not help. I was pleasantly surprised to find that downtown was not half as unsafe as i thought it would be. I felt that there were perhaps only a few more homeless people proportionally than i would find here in Toronto, Canada.

I also walked around at odd hours of day and night and although downtown is deserted after dark, i did not find it unsafe.

I found that the staff were not overly friendly but they were quite functional as in they called me when the tour van arrived, called cabs for me and kept my valuables and luggage (at no cost). So i cannot complain about that.

The comment about the Indian restaurant is perhaps somewhat valid. I love the odd curry but the whole lobby smelled like the restaurant. Although once inside the elevator, it was fine.

The hotel is defintely handy. I was in LA for 5 days and did not need to rent a car. I walked to the places downtown (Library, LA Symphone orchestra building, Modern Art gallery - all excellent), took the Metro on a couple of occasions (under 10 min walk from the hotel) and cabbed a couple of times. A subway is not too far away, and a department store is 10 min walk as well. So it is difficult to complain about the location.

What i do not know, i found difficult to find and would be useful to know is that for a similar price (US$ 55) what are the other places in the vicinity and how do those places compare. That information would be useful to have and will be appreciated. I hope this review helps.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mammoth Lakes
Reviewed 28 September 2004

I was deceived by the pictures and description on a website. I got in late at night and found the place rundown and a bit frightening. My room had very old furniture (TV turn dial) and the room seemed less than clean. The only lock on the door was the doorknob push button. The shower head was broken in the tub. I checked out early and moved to another hotel.

8 Thank Kathleen K
Reviewed 23 April 2004

I stayed in this hotel in March 2004. I picked this place because its cheap price and its convinience location in downtown L.A. My trip over there was part bussiness and since it was my first time in L.A. I made some room for pleasure.
If I ever go to L.A. again I will make sure to avoid this place. This place is a residential hotel. there nothing wrong with that but it means that you wont get the services that you might get in other places such as cable tv (no cable or remote control), alarm clock and a friendly fronty desk that could help you with any tourist help that you might need. Every time that I ask anything at the front desk about places to eat or places to visit in L.A. they just did not know what to tell me and they did not have any brochures or anything about the city.
All the hotel smells like Indian food because there is an Indian food restaurant in the first floor, I love Indian food but not to smell it everywhere in the hotel (including my room) also its smells like dust because the hotel has a carpet that in my opinion they must never vacuum. everytime I enter my room I could not believe the bad smell. I tryied using the air condition to try to make the room smell a bit better but the air condition machine has to be from like the 1970's. they didn't really cool the room and it was louder than any refrigirator that I have ever seen. All of the rooms have the same air condition machines (you can notice that by looking at the outside of the hotel).
Aside from the carpet being very dusty and the floors having dirt stains, the walls of the hotel are very dirty also they have weird marks on them and again, even in my room. the rooms are very small (I got to see two different rooms in different sides of the hotel) and in the wall next to my bed there was the biggest piece of human mucus that I've ever seen stock to the wall.
Well you ge the picture - in my opinion if they are not thinking of remodeling this place soon they should at least change the dirty carpets and paint the walls. Otherwise they should just make sure that they do advertise that it is a residential hotel.

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Broadmoor Village, CA.
Reviewed 21 October 2002

I spent a weekend in LA for a wedding a stayed at the Stillwell. I was disappointed. The price was great, but that was it.

The room was small and the bathroom was even smaller with the towel rack ready to fall down.

The TV barely worked and the towels were so old and thin that you could see through them.

There was an element in the lobby that made it feel like a residential hotel for the down and out.

I would not recommend staying there, unless you have no other choice.

16 Thank kcnjohn