“Hotel full of character with spacious rooms and plenty of eating options”

Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles
Ranked #95 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Raby, United Kingdom
“Hotel full of character with spacious rooms and plenty of eating options”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed 3 nights in the Millennium Biltmore in November and were really impressed by the history and character of the place. The entrance area and passage way linking the facilities in the hotel are lovely to see and appreciate the quality of the building which was built around 1930. Many photographs are displayed around the corridors to show guests from the past and this helps bring home the history of the place and provides a comforting feeling that it really was at the top in quality terms form many years. It has been modernised with great care and still looks splendid today and we had a great time there. The rooms are very spacious and quiet and cleanliness is of the highest standard throughout. We only had breakfast at the hotel due to all the trips but it was freshly cooked and good value. We did have some drinks in the bar and this was busy with a jazz band playing music and this went well with the surroundings. So in summary a quality hotel with great character that does its best to make you feel relaxed in wonderful surroundings.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 25 November 2013

First of all I worked in Central L.A for ten years back in the 80's and if some body said I would be staying at the Biltmore Hotel I would say your crazy. This area has changed so much with the high end restaurants, Hotels, and stores. The night life goes all night. The Biltmore is awesome with high class finishes of glitz and glamor, and that old school elegance that could only be found in the best Hotels. The rooms are great and clean. the staff very helpful and friendly. We stayed here for a retirement party and enjoyed the whole experience. I would stay here again if in town.

• Stayed November 2013
Nantucket, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 November 2013

The charm and elegance of the lobby and public spaces of this once stately hotel stayed on the first floor. The hallway upstairs reeked of stale tobacco smoke as did the room. In fairness it was a smoking floor, apparently, because there were ashtrays in the room. but I wasn't given a choice. The separate shower stall was pleasant but the faucets were leaky and the water pressure was grossly inadequate even by "water saver" standards. The hot water took about five minutes to run warm, literally, (much faster in the sink) and using the cold to temper it was never necessary. The room was also very noisy both from the traffic on Fifth Street and from people in the hallway as late as 4:30 in the morning - and it was the last room on the hall. The maid also knocked at my door at 8:10 am the first morning asking to clean the room.
When I checked in, the desk clerk barely acknowledged me, spent an inordinate amount of time looking for a room, said he had to "download more rooms" and looked some more, finally asking a coworker for assistance. He then handed me the key and told me the room number. No apology for the delay. I had to ask him to return my credit card, license and AAA card which he did without comment, but he finally responded to my last request - for directions to the elevator. I was upgraded to a small suite but he didn't tell me. I guess he wanted me to be surprised.
Out of six elevators, it appeared that only two were working, causing a big back up.
On the plus side, the bar was very pleasant and the food and beverage I had there were fine.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Fifth Street side of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Northville, Michigan
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

I just spent one night at the Biltmore. The public areas are stunning, and the catering meals were exceptional. As you might expect from a historic hotel,the rooms are small in size with old plumbing fixtures. However the decor of the guest rooms could use updating. I would start with the mattresses, they felt 20 years old and the sheets were pilled and the blankets were those old fuzzy kind. The exterior hallways are very loud so if you stay here get a room at the end of the hallway.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Staff weren't that helpful. Has a very grand downstairs area. Very flash & large. Poncy restaurant. However rooms pretty basic but very large, bathroom very small. Service very slow when needed something. Right across the road from a park that has late night music playing. I wouldnt stay here again

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alana r
Kendra W, Public Relations Manager at Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you for your valuable comments and sharing with us your experience at Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles. Your business is extremely important to us and we greatly appreciate your feedback. We take most seriously your concerns about your guestroom accommodations and want to reassure you that our hotel currently is undergoing an improvement project and reinforcement of customer service training throughout the next 12-18 months to remedy the very issues you have raised. Additionally, your comments will be addressed with the relevant managers so that necessary corrective measures can be taken. In the meantime, please accept our sincerest apologies for having caused you disappointment and inconvenience. We are steadfastly committed to providing guests with a superior experience and hope that on your next visit to downtown Los Angeles, we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality.
Boston
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Grand old hotel but guest rooms and facilities in need of rehab.
My (non deluxe) room was pretty small (but clean). Bathroom was barely big enough for 1. Shower was very basic.
Fitness center: quantity over quality. Good number of machines but in need of refresh. Only elliptical was unusable, 1 of the 5 treadmills was broken but not marked as such.
Lobby is nice. Decent downtown location.
They could really rehab this and make it much nicer/deluxe and charge more.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your valuable comments and sharing with us your experience at Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles. Your business is extremely important to us and we greatly appreciate your feedback. We take most seriously your concerns about your guestroom accommodations and want to reassure you that our hotel currently is undergoing an improvement project and reinforcement of customer service training throughout the next 12-18 months to remedy the very issues you have raised. Additionally, your comments about other areas of the hotel will be addressed with the relevant managers so that necessary corrective measures can be taken. In the meantime, please accept our sincerest apologies for having caused you disappointment and inconvenience. We are steadfastly committed to providing guests with a superior experience and hope that on your next visit to downtown Los Angeles, we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed here in Nov '13 and despite the emailed reminders regarding my arrival time of early on the following morning to the nights I had booked the hotel marked me as a No Show. This meant that I was given a room of a lesser standard to the one I had booked as it was the only one available. Clearly they have doubled their money on the room booked for me. Despite wthe discussion of the issue I had to go and request my original standard of room for the rest of my 4 day stay and move myself when it was available. At check-in there was some difficulty regarding my membership points which I was told would be referred to the manager, while it was eventually resolved at no point was I notified that this had occurred. Decidedly average customer service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your valuable comments and sharing with us your experience at Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles. Your business is extremely important to us and we greatly appreciate your feedback. We take most seriously your concerns about your guestroom accommodations and want to reassure you that our hotel currently is undergoing an improvement project throughout the next 12-18 months to remedy the very issues you have raised. In the meantime, please accept our sincerest apologies for having caused you disappointment and inconvenience. We are steadfastly committed to providing guests with a superior experience and hope that on your next visit to downtown Los Angeles, we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality.