“Beautiful hotel wrong location!”

Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles
Ranked #93 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Newcastle
“Beautiful hotel wrong location!”
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Hotel is fab and the decor in the lobby is amazing however when you leave the hotel its like a poor run down area with people stealing from the subway across the street although this is not the hotels fault.

Rooms are fine nothing special although we were upgraded for free which was a bonus. Staff are fantastic they go the extra mile to help and the maids left chocolates and papers each day which is nice.

Location let's this place down other than that would stay again. :)

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The hotel was actually very nice. friendly staff, food was excellent, small but nice rooms. Could use some updating as it is an old hotel but not enough to give a bad rating. Very nice!!
The bad rating is because this hotel is located in downtown LA and I could not sleep due to what sounded like a Jet engine reving up all night. It was the airconditioning system for the restaurant below (I was on the 9th fl). I know this because I called to complain and the young lady knew what I was going to say before I said it. She offered to change our room or bring up some ear plugs. It was 2am so she said that the manager would give me a call in the morning (never received a call). I wanted to address that I never received a call upon check out but there was no one at the front desk at 6am. I just left my card keys. As much as I liked the hotel I would not recommend nor would I stay again for the simple fact that they know its an issue and they have not fixed it nor did they make the effort to assist me when I was a client.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 929 or any room in that horseshoe
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Kendra W, Public Relations Manager at Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Thank you for your valuable comments and sharing with us your experience at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles. Your business is extremely important to us and we greatly appreciate your feedback. We are steadfastly committed to providing guests with a superior experience
and take most seriously your concerns about the air conditioning noise outside of your guestroom. We want to reassure you that our hotel currently is undergoing an improvement project and reinforcement of customer service training throughout the next 12-18 months to remedy the very issues you have raised. Additionally, your comments will be addressed with the relevant managers so that necessary corrective measures can be taken. In the meantime, please accept our sincerest apologies for our performance and for having caused you disappointment and inconvenience. We hope that on your next visit to downtown Los Angeles, we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality.

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I was so excited to stay here and I am severely disappointed by just about everything. The entrance, lobby and building may seem grand, however the staff and actual rooms are anything but. First of all, we were carrying 7 luggages and none of the bell desk staff offered to help even though they were all just standing around doing nothing. The girl at reception gave me attitude from the second we walked in. The room doesn't offer complimentary refreshments or Wi-fi (come on, this is 2013) and the bathroom (shower and bath specifically) has not been cleaned. The shower also drips, leaving black marks on the floor from god knows what, I don't even want to know. The walls are not soundproof, windows are dangerously low and large (definitely not child friendly), old furniture, no fridge, frayed carpet, the list GOES ON! We arrived about an hour ago and I'm already on TripAdvisor looking for an alternative place to stay.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
We appreciate your valuable comments and sharing with us your experience at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles. Your business is extremely important to us and we were highly concerned when we read your feedback. We are steadfastly committed to providing guests with a superior experience and take most seriously your concerns about your guestroom accommodations and the service level upon your arrival. We want to reassure you that our hotel currently is undergoing an improvement project and reinforcement of customer service training throughout the next 12-18 months to remedy the very issues you have raised. Additionally, your comments will be addressed with the relevant managers so that necessary corrective measures can be taken. In the meantime, please accept our sincerest apologies for our performance and for having caused you disappointment and inconvenience. We truly hope that on your next visit to downtown Los Angeles, we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 December 2013

A must. We live on the Westside of LA and decided to celebrate my wife's birthday with a night on the town. There is no other place in LA I would rather have stay. The architecture and design elements that make up the Biltmore are world class and absolute eye candy.

Of course, with age comes the need for constant upgrade and renovation. Our executive suite was large however the interior design was quite average. The carpets needed mending in a few places and there were a few small places where the paint was peeling.

Regardless, the overall price was satisfactory and the experience was one we will look to replicate in the years to come.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, book away from the corner of 5th and S. Olive as the traffic below can be rather...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I'm way too forgiving when it comes to historical hotels so if you want the perfect room in a perfect hotel, don't take my advice. The more historic the hotel, the more forgiving I am and this hotel is one of the most historic I've ever stayed in. If you are a Hollywood-phile, there is so much cinematic history that has taken place at this hotel, it takes a while to read up on it. The number of movies and TV shows that have been shot there seem endless. I think their list of movies and TV shows shot just in the last 25 years was two pages long.

You are immediately harkened back to the days of yore once you enter the lobby and surrounding areas. "Grandiose" is an understatement. Yes, there are signs of wear of the ages everywhere but I was so overwhelmed with the surroundings, I barely noticed.

Unfortunately, it drops off quickly once you get to the room. In my case, the many-times painted door lead to a smallish room. Bed was comfortable enough but looking out the window, the paint on the outside sills on my room and surrounding rooms was peeling severely. The bathroom was very small with an industrial-type flush toilet that you'd expect to find in a public restroom. The sink extended into the shower over the edge of the bathtub. I had to be careful to snake the shower curtain over and around the sink and edge of the tub so I didn't flood the room when taking a shower. However, the shower head/water pressure was old-style e.g. not the pathetic "green" showers you find so often that barely spit water out.

I was at the hotel for a series of meetings that were conducted at the hotel. The food was exceptional including the desserts. I think they got some of the desserts from Bodega Louie down the street. Exquisite stuff.

All of the staff members I experienced were cordial, polite, sharp, and helpful. A housekeeper cleaning a room down from mine peeked out when I passed one morning and gave me a a hearty hello. Check-in and out was quick and efficient.

In conclusion, if you're like me and have a soft spot for grand old dame hotels rich in history and are forgiving about the rough edges, I definitely recommend this hotel. I would stay here again. If you're into the trendy, smart, perfect hotels, this one isn't for you.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Came in the first weekend of December to stay at the Grand Dame of all LA hotels with its location across Pershing Square and all of its 90 year history. Many movies have been shot here. Parking is valet only at $40/day. The lobby is beautiful, with the giant Christmas tree that soeared to the ceiling, which is a stained glass reportedly used as the one at the SS Poseidon in the Poseidon Adventure. The original lobby was fronting Pershing Square but was moved to Grand where there is a driveway people can pull into and not obstruct traffic. Planners did not anticipate that LA was going to be the car society it would be which also explains why there is no parking lot built into the hotel. Check in was nice and friendly. I take the small elevators in the middle of main foyer to my 10th floor room in the club level. The room is beautiful and huge! I love the classic design (versus boutique) and I am glad that they kept it in its traditional décor.
The beds were very comfortable, the workspace big, nice flat screen TV, huge closet and bathroom. Although the hotel is old, everything was in good working order. I was looking for the coffeemaker but I guess they didn’t have it because it was so close to the Club Lounge. I had my evening snacks there and it was great. The wi-fi is $9.95/day but worked well.
It was nice to look out into Pershing Square which was all nicely lit up at night.
The hotel, as always, is festooned in all its Christmas glory. Each of the 4 major ballrooms are beautiful. There is a nice gallery of historic pictures leading to the Biltmore bowl as well.
I took lots of pictures before I left to go to the skating rink across the street and Santee to shop.
If you like contemporary boutique hotels, stay away. But if you like traditional, grand, history and pageantry, this would be the hotel to stay or have your party at!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the skating rink/Pershing Square!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 11 December 2013

The Biltmore is a beautiful classic, ornate hotel. Unfortunately, some aspects of the service and, for sure, the plumbing are quite ornate, too. We had called ahead 3 times to reserve a particular room for early check-in. We were assured the room would be ready, making the last call the morning of our check-in. It was not -- so, since we had to change clothes to attend an event, we had to settle for a smaller, yet, at that time, adequate room. In the middle of the night the toilet fixture started leaking. In the morning, I called Housekeeping to inform them that what started as a trickle out on the floor was becoming an untended sprinkler system for the toilet and all over the bathroom. I told them it was an immediate problem. It took 40 minutes for the "Engineer" to arrive. In the meantime I arranged with a Housekeeing staff person to temporarily use another room. We were checking out in a couple of hours. By the time we left the room, there was water all over the floor, the toilet, the sink and it had invaded the rug, soaking a 2 ft. square area. What a shame to ruin the rug due to a too late response. When we checked out, I called the extension for valet parking. Twice, I let the telephone ring for 30 times...never was an answer. We reported all of this to the manager who, of course, was routinely apolegetic and did deduct the parking fees from the bill. It really is a beautiful hotel that usually is just fine...This time...unfortunately..not so.

Room Tip: A corner King if they let you have it.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple