“Just don't go there..”

Millennium Biltmore Los Angeles
Ranked #90 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights laSt week. The service was very poor and staff were rude. We had to ask for extra towels even though they knew we were a party of 4. No free wifi it's capped at $9.95 per day. No self parking for guests. There's also a public notice which states the area in which the hotel is situated can cause birth defects, cancer and other illnesses. Please check with your holiday provider before booking, better still do not book this hotel at all.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Nicola B
Write a ReviewReviews (3,200)

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Right in the centre of LA downtown the Biltmore has a fantastic location, and let me begin by emphasising that this is not a bad hotel, far from it. The staff were friendly, the rooms are decently sized and my room was cleaned daily.

Upon arrival as other guests have pointed out the lobby is very impressive and the long hallways were very grand with ball rooms and conference rooms lining either side. I also cannot fault the staff who were very friendly. A great start. After queuing and receiving my room key I made my way to my eighth floor room. My room was large, spacious and comfortable. The king size bed was more than adequate and I had a fairly good view of downtown from my window.

However, the hotel is old and there appears to have been a lack of work carried out. My wardrobe would not close, the toilet flushed continually prompting a maintenance call, the blinds were falling apart, the window had seen far better days and annoyingly the lights could not be controlled by a central switch. I found out soon after that the single glazed and aged windows didn't do much to block the noise from the air vent on the roof outside. My room also backed onto the lifts and the constant "Ping" was annoying.There was one set of plugs which left charging devices a little difficult. In the hallway the lift buttons on floor eight did not seem to work, meaning in the morning we had to walk down to floor seven to catch the lift.

A collection of minor issues which add up to the hotel being good but not great.

Another major issue for me was the extortionate price of internet in the hotel, might be a UK thing but I am used to complimentary wifi for guests and having to pay $9.95 a day is robbery!

I would stay at the Biltmore again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Petercwray
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed at the Millennium Biltmore for one night on a business trip. I was slightly apprehensive of previous reviews but am very happy to say that I had a wonderful overnight! The hotel is very conveniently located and the area is relatively quiet (considering it is downtown LA). I have stayed in numerous other hotels downtown but have found them lacking in history, character and good friendly service. Check in was very efficient and quick with a personal request being accommodated with no issues.
I agree that the rooms do need somewhat updating but I know that the hotel is about to undergo extensive room renovations which should satisfy those customers. It reminded me a little of the Waldorf Astoria before it's refit (and was designed by the same architect), but what is more important to me is a clean comfortable room with fast efficient service, both of which I received. I actually much prefer a hotel with character and I found the amenities first class. My 'suite' had a very spacious sitting room, a large bedroom and a walk in closet. While the bathroom is small compared to some standards today, it was totally clean and perfectly functional. I actually liked the bathroom a lot as it reminded me of the hey day of grand hotels in the 1920's/30'/40's and I appreciated that it felt like a hotel bathroom, not one I wished I had at home.
I ate a light lunch in the Asian restaurant in the basement which was delicious with friendly knowledgeable staff, had a small business meeting in the 'Rendezvous Court' before heading to the gym. The gym/health spa was a real delight, perfectly functional, absolutely huge and with an indoor swimming pool.
The public spaces for which the hotel is really known for were spectacular and a real delight to be able to see and experience first hand.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I had a corner suite which was superb.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel entrance and lobby is very grand and welcoming however when entering the rooms it was a different story, the room was shabby and needed a complete makeover.. The windows had some sort of make shift wooden blind that would not close and the whole room needed a good clean and paint.. The bathroom was small and basic like the rest of the room. Although it had coffee making facilities these were not replenished daily so only enough to have one..
It's enough if you're just wanting a bed and bathroom like us, but don't be fooled by it's grand entrance it's just an old has been hotel that's in desperate need of a complete revamp!

• Stayed: May 2014
Kendra W, Public Relations Manager at Millennium Biltmore Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for your valuable comments and sharing with us your experience. Your business is extremely important to us and we greatly appreciate your feedback. We are steadfastly committed to providing guests with a superior experience and take most seriously your concerns about your guestroom accommodations. We want to reassure you that our hotel currently is undergoing an improvement project and reinforcement of customer service training throughout the next 12-18 months to remedy the very issues you have raised. Additionally, your comments will be addressed with the relevant managers so that necessary corrective measures can be taken.

In the meantime, please accept our sincerest apologies for our performance and for having caused you disappointment and inconvenience. We hope that on your next visit to downtown Los Angeles, we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is by far one of the best hotels! And a bonus for my love of history is its tie to the birth of the Oscars during Hollywood's early legends.

We had an event at Dodger Stadium, and our teams stayed here and the Hilton across the street. I stayed in the Biltmore, and my room was twice the size, elegant, clean and quiet.

The hotel is simply Beautiful, and the staff are excellent and friendly. The location is within walking distance of good restaurants. You'll need a car to really see LA, Malibu & Santa Monica (a must see!!). Parking is easy and secured underground across the street.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank TracyMoAdventures
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This Hotel was an amazing place to stay at. The service was very good and situated in downtown L.A you can walk to nearby shops and cafes and can also catch hop on hop off bus just across the street. The decor is very lavish and takes you back in time, as to when all the old Hollywood stars visited the Grand Ballroom for the Academy awards. It has a beautiful dining room which serves high tea in the afternoons. The bedrooms were a touch on the small side but overall beautifully decorated. We enjoyed our stay at this beautiful Hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a room that has a lock-up safe, if you require one.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014

LA is back (almost)! And this hotel is an example of the ongoing revitalization of downtown LA.The Biltmore is a beautiful hotel with a storied history. However, they didn't go far enough when they renovated this property. The rooms and bathrooms are so dated and not in a charming way. The beds are terrible: Small and uncomfortable with linens and pillows that must have been borrowed from a youth hostel. The windows not only don't open very far but they also don't close all the way either. The air conditioning is noisy and in need of replacement. The walls in the rooms are completely unadorned. A few of the great black and white pictures that are displayed in the lobby would have been a start. Or, even some pictures of downtown Los Angeles when it was once a vibrant location. The staff was very nice, however, the management was, at best, indifferent. They can and should do better.

Room Tip: 11th floor is better. Make sure that your room does not face the street because the windows don'...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Kendra W, Public Relations Manager at Millennium Biltmore Los Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for your valuable comments and sharing with us your experience. Your business is extremely important to us and we greatly appreciate your feedback. We are steadfastly committed to providing guests with a superior experience and take most seriously your concerns about your guestroom accommodations. We want to reassure you that our hotel currently is undergoing an improvement project throughout the next 12-18 months to remedy the very issues you have raised.