“Beautiful lobby, wonderful history but...needs a renovation”

Millennium Biltmore Los Angeles
Ranked #93 of 352 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 28 September 2010

This is a hotel located in the heart of downtown LA and it is close to Hollywood Blvd and the Sunset. So much history and the detail in the lobby is beautiful! We ended up parking our car at the hotel overnight so it was pricey at $40 a night but it was worth it considering we had our 8 month old with us and was lugging around a lot of stuff. Our room was decent, on the small side. Windows, TV and especially the bathroom need an update. We ventured out at night and there really isn't anything around but it was a Sunday night however there were some shady people around so I wouldn't walk around at night by yourself.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Millennium Biltmore Los Angeles

Reviewed 28 September 2010

Yes, it's older but yes, it's historic - considering the rate I received I have no room to complain. While the property could use a building-wide renovation the history it holds is second-to-none.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oahufrog
Reviewed 26 September 2010

We have just come back from an amazing road trip round California and spent 5 nights at the Biltmore downtown LA. After reading some mixed reviews on Tripadvisor I was not sure what to expect. It definitly exceeded my expectations! We arrived early evening and parked in the recommended Pershing Square undergound parking! This is much better than paying the $40 per night valet parking at the hotel. The car park has 24 hour security so did not feel nervous about leaving the car here and is only across the street. We parked on the 2nd level as the 1st is has mostly reserved spaces for a car hire company. You pay each time upon leaving the car park to a dude in a box so it''s better to stay out all day so you only have to pay once a day.

The hotel lobby area is really beautiful and the staff were pleasent on check in. The room was clean and bed was comfortable. I agree with some reviews that the bathrooms are a bit aged and can do with an upgrade though this adds to the character of the hotel. I think with most hotels we stayed in during our adventure installing flat screen tv's, this was one thing missing from the room - we only had an old box thing. We only once ate the hotel via room service and was not that badly priced compared to some external restaurants we ate at.

I think if I came back to LA I would stay more down the Hollywood end as there is not much to do round downtown. The first night was struggled to find somewhere to eat in the surrounding blocks but found a Wolfgang Puck in the end. Downtown is not a bustling city in the evening like London or New York and there are a lot of wierdos, homeless people hanging around Pershing Square though do not bother you unless you look like a complete tourist! It's not the type of place to walk around at night so better to drive to more populated parts of the city to eat and spend the evening! It's perfectly fine during the day as people are rushing around for work and seems to be a central work hub.

Overall not a bad place to stay expecially for the price and as long as you have a car. There was no noise at night apart from the odd police car but you get that at home anyway!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2010

This was my first time in Los Angeles, I stayed at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel LA for 3 nights.

Like many travellers with limited intel, I made a decision based on the reviews from tripadvisor, and some independent research on the internet. My biggest concerns was noise levels, accessibility to LA, and quality of the room.

From a noise perspective, it was fine for me. My room was located on the 6th floor around a corner from the lift however I did not get much sound from the corridors, and could only hear the lift beep if I stuck my ear against the front door. Which I only did once for testing!

As to accessibility to LA, downtown was not very close to all the areas to LA and if I was staying longer than 3 nights I think I would have picked another location. However, as it was I spent most days doing 1 day tours (Universal Studios, Hollywood Homes, Santa Monica and Venice Beach, etc) and it was easy to take Starline tours from this hotel. Bare in mind you need to be there at 8:25am outside the hotel street (50metre walk from the undercover entrance of the hotel) for those tours. Which means you have about 50minutes of hotel hopping before you arrive at Starline to pay the balance of your tickets.

There was a Macy's, a jewelry district, a few food places (Mexican for example) and several close convenience stores. Again, based on the purpose of the trip (really just a comfortable hotel to base myself for common tours), I couldn't fault it. There was also a irish pub a bit further down from South Grand Avenue (walk down hill and cross the road, look on your right).

The last benchmark for me was the quality of the room. I thought it was above average but moderate to small. The room was a creamy yellow/white, and the carpet was clean but getting a little old. The housekeeping was efficient, never had any problems with fresh new towels (most days I had 3 sets), and bed was always neatly arranged. I slept well in the bed.

Concierge and the bellhops were efficient but not "in-your-face" which I was glad about. One of them was James, who was very helpful during my stay. Helped me pick the more popular tours (which I later enjoyed). I only ate breakfast once at the hotel, but it was pleasant the 2 guys that attended my table were friendly and helpful about what was available. Frontdesk were also efficient, got smiles from most of them except one lady - but you always get one woman who really doesn't want to be working there. For me, it was not a big distraction compared to my overall pleasant result.

Lastly, the place has a nice bar (bit noisy for my liking), and the ceilings were awesome with great detail.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel, especially if you're there just for a few days and want something at a reasonable price (72hr special room rate - room only).

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2010

This place is under rated. It is a gorgeous Hotel. Back in the day the Hotel was the location of the Oscar Awards. People like Walt Disney stayed there when travelling through. There is a mini museum in the hotel where you can see all the famous people who stayed there.

We enjoyed our stay. In the foyer they had a computer with free internet access. It made life so much easier. There is a lovely restaurant which does an awesome buffet breakfast.

The only negaive was that I thought it was a little dusy in our room (but not too bad). My husband didnt think so..but he is a guy.... ; )

We would stay here again.....

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FrequentFlyer082
Reviewed 9 September 2010

This is a very nice historic hotel in downtown Los Angeles. My complaint is the hidden charges that are not mentioned prior to booking and make this a very expensive hotel. Parking is $40 a night and Internet connection is $10 per day, per computer (so if you are staying with someone who also uses a computer everyone pays $10.) Parking garages in downtown LA charge appx $75 per week, which, if I had known the cost of parking at the hotel I would have made other arrangements for my car. Travel in the LA area still requires a vehicle. While there is WIFI, the guest is charged regardless. Even the Business Center Facility downstairs charges by the minute.There are no "free" wifi zones within the hotel. However, if you walk outside, across the street to the park, or down the block to Starbucks the WIFI is free. Internet connection is now such a part of business that it is akin to being charged to use your cell phone within the hotel. These extra charges amount to between $50-$60 a day. So, just be aware of the fees if you plan to stay in this lovely hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank LCH31310
Reviewed 9 September 2010

My hubby and I stayed at this LA hotel for 4 nights for our anniversary getaway. We booked it on expedia after checking out other travelers' advices and balancing out the price (at the time of booking this hotel was the only hotel in downtown that still remains affordable after the sales). This hotel has quite a character to it . Grand Hollywood classic. We took a peek at their ballroom, it is very nice and grand but yet still remain a characteristics vintage look to it.

Checking in at the hotel, the hotel looks pretty grand on the outside. We were greeted by friendly , helpful staff at the front desk, going up to our room thru nicely decorated hallway with high vaulted ceiling. So far so good , pleasantly surprised. But then the surprise went downhill from there as we were looking for our room. Thru a long long hallway we finally located our room at the far far far end of the building. We entered with the key but to find ourselves in a small gloomy room with 2 doors - 1 of them is rm 772, our room. We were like "OK..what now". Upon opening the door, we've found ourselves in a rm of a reasonable size for a king sz bed rm. The bed is ok (very soft with no back support just like many other hotels). The carpet is so so (my hubby mentioned the carpet might has flea as he felts itchy after walking barefoot). The air conditioning was acceptably noisy but effectively cold. However the room does not have the amenity you usually find in even a lower grade hotel; there is no fridge/freezer, no internet (they charge you for a fee though at $11/night or something). It is quite disappointing. The most ridiculous find - the TV, a 15" tube projection, it is an antique - just like the hotel itself!! The washroom is very spacious, but I wish it has an exhaust fan, the toilet bowl is clean with no pee stain ring, and a fixture that provides enough counter space for the guests to spread their necessities.

Parking - it is a HUGE problem. Upon arriving at the hotel (we flew in from Vancouver, rented a car at the airport), we were shocked to learn that the hotel offers valet parking for a whooping $44 overnight. You can find park it yourself for $16 /night at the Perishing Square underground parking across the street, or if you can walk for 1/2 a block, you can find it cheaper for $12/night at a public parking on Oliver Street. It is monitored, bright, well-lighted - many exotic cars tend to park there overnight, so security gotta be good.

Location - in the heart of LA downtown. Close of transit and train station. Reasonably close to many LA attractions and highways. You don't have to waste much time getting to and from the highways.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple