“Comfy Inn”

Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC
Ranked #143 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 24 April 2008

We arrived on a weekday, early in the afternoon. The front desk staff were cordial and helpful. We were two adults and two children under 4. When we arrived, our room was not ready. A senior staff member offered to let us wait in the pool area under some shade. The room was clean. The furniture is relatively old but in good condition. There were ants in the "kitchen area" - where the sink, fridge, and microwave were, but the management is taking care of it--the fumigator was there during our stay. At night, the neighbourhood is generally quiet.

The continental breakfast begins at 6:30 a.m., which is great for those of us who are early birds.

We were able to get to the Convention Centre by bus - the Dash for only 25 cents per person. The Dash and other bus services are available within a block from the Inn.

There are lots of eating places in the vicinity - McDonalds, Subway, Mexican food, etc.

If we visited LA again and needed to be close to Downtown, I would definitely stay at this Inn. I recommend it for any traveller who wants to be close to Downtown.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2008

Dear Valued Guest,

We are glad to know that your recent stay with us was very comfortable and satisfying. Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We are always doing our best to meet every guest's expectations. We hope to see you and your family on your next visit to Los Angeles.

Reviewed 17 September 2007

I went to this hotel with some friends, the trip wasn't planned so as soon as we got in L.A. we booked the first place we heard of, here are some good and bad things:

The good:
Comfortable beds and pillows
Air conditioner
Coffee maker, instant coffee, hair dryer
Nice bathroom
Friendly cleanning staff
Decent breakfast

The bad:
The price was a bit expensive, i searched other hotels for the same price and they were better.
The front desk people a bit rude
Not a safe neighborhood
Noisy air conditioner
Ants all over the place even in the bed

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled with friends
2  Thank myraje
Reviewed 27 August 2007

We stayed here while attending an event at USC and for the most part were not dissappointed. It's what we expected based on other reviewers' comments. The front desk help, while not bouncing-off-the-walls elated that we chose to stay here, was efficient and professional enough. Our room was clean, the bed was comfortable and everything was in working order. It was nice to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room and to park (for free) just outside our room. Only negatives - we did request an extra pillow but was told none were available (which is plausible considering what appeared to be high occupancy). Also, don't let the "free continental breakfast" be a selling factor. It's less than basic; one or two types of pastries, some coffee and that's it. The surrounding area is a mix of college-oriented businesses, some commercial ventures and several fast food restaurants. We walked the two blocks from the Vagabond to USC several times at night and never felt threatened although caution and common sense should always be exercised. Unless their rates become too out of line with what you get, we'll most likely be back.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2007

Overall, a great value compared to most properties in the LA area. Will definitely stay there again. Clean, well kept property with palm trees lining the pool. Read on for more specific details....

Good Stuff:
* Free parking
* Visibile Security (Figueroa Corridor Security)
* Many restaurants & coffee shops within walking distance
* VERY reasonable rates (check out their website for internet & AAA deals)
* Family Rooms (one bed for parents, bunk beds or 2 doubles for the kids in a separate area)
* Down the street from Staples Center & USC
* Continental breakfast offered (a few bagels & muffins)
* Gorgeous pool
* Bank of America ATM across the street

Not So Good Stuff:
* Top bunk bed not made- had to do it myself, but as anyone who's ever slept in a bunk beds knows it's hard to make the top bunk (fresh sheets were provided and the fitted sheet was always put on)
* If you go too far past the airplane in front of the USC building, you'll end up in "da 'hood"- be aware of your surroundings!
* Continental breakfast- nothing to write home about, we ended up at the donut shop next door (BTW: my family ALWAYS uses the continental when we travel, so this breakfast was LAME!)
* The extra room where the kids slept was stuffy (there was a window that you could leave open)

Note:
During other times of the year the atmosphere may be very different. USC has a popular football team (the Trojans), so things might be a bit rowdier if you visit in the fall. Since the Lakers & Clippers play down the street, you may also notice some basketball fans from the end of October on into April. (Playoffs are in May & June- the Lakers are a perennial playoff team.) We stayed during an off time for this hotel.

The Room & Staff
The Vagabond staff was courteous & professional. The front office is open 24/7 and offers drinks (water, coffee, tea & juice) anytime. The rooms were clean & neat. Furniture was in good shape and was fairly modern. The property was located down the street from USC and Interstate 110.

Overall Impressions
I enjoyed my stay at the Vagabond. I mentioned earlier that "da 'hood" was down the street. In spite of that, I felt VERY safe. (BTW: the more expensive Radisson is far closer to "da 'hood" than the Vagabond ;)) Don't be put off by the surroundings as the city is obviously working hard to make tourists feel safe in the area.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank CaliJoy
Reviewed 6 June 2006

My daughter and I stayed here prior to her job at one of the museums before she moved to a USC campus apt. The hotel is walking distance to USC as well as University Village. The check in clerk was efficient, no-nonsense. The rooms are clean, but the carpets were old. If you have a lot of bags, try to get a ground floor room because there is no elevator and you have to lug everything upstairs. The first night we were here the hotel was full of kids going to a ball game so it was kinda noisy, but that was okay with us. There was a homeless man with a bicycle next to our room and the manager/security persons told him to leave. The diner on premises gave bad service, but perhaps it was a bad day for the girl. LAPD (Police) eat there every morning & we found that to be reassuring. The grounds have pretty flowers with a pool next to the parking lot. But the overall cleanliness on the ousdie fo the hotel needs work. All in all, an okay place for the $ if you're on a budget.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
9  Thank Europe02
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 March 2006

Rooms smelled, toilets ran all night, everyone at the front desk was completly and overly rude on purpose. I asked for a smoking room and the guy at the front desk said the whole hotel was non-smoking, The man behind me asked for the same....and GOT IT! This hotel is geared more toward the spanish speaking. They called at 9 am and reminded me that check out was at 11 am, they then proceded to tell me that I had to get out as soon as possible so the maid could clean the room by 11 for the next guest. I will never stay at this hotel again.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 February 2006

I am a Univerisity Professor. My collegue and I came to LA to do some research at USC.
I stayed at the Vagabond Inn because our reservation at the Radisson was not found when we arrived.

I was pleasantly surprised, when I entered the room, as I am not familiar with this name.
The room was clean, and looked to have been renovated recently.
The most exciting part, is that they were filming a movie on the premises. As a theatre-buff, I was excited to see this! I would recommmend The Vagabond Inn to any of my collegues travelling to LA.

• Stayed: February 2006, travelled on business