“Outstanding People”

Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC
Ranked #136 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I was afraid to book this hotel and was I wrong. The room was very clean the bathroom was spotless and the linen was fresh. I must say that some of the other reviews are wrong at times. You must always remember what you pay for is what you get. You want 5 star then go book 5 star. You want 4 star and 24 hour this and that then guess what go book the 4 star hotel!! The rooms are a bit on the older side and do need to be upgraded, but for the 3 nights I was there, they had what I needed. Continental Breakfast free.... Wireless internet free...Clean linen, clean bathroom all of which I want in a place to sleep. The staff..... OUTSTANDING!!!! A special thank you to Nazneen, Maria, Jazmin and Gustavo for all that they did while I was a guest at this establishment.... from asking so many questions about the area and what to do in my offf time..... from asking about T-shirt shops and to which burger place was the best in the area. There were so many different choices and Maria was right there on the spot telling me where to go!!!! I was there for a book signing with a great friend that was invited to be at the LA Times festival of books... wow was it easy to get to.... CVS is within a block for anything I needed. Once this Inn gets renovated and they are trying to get it done... it will be the best little Inn on the S. Figueroa Corridor!!! Once again I THANK the outstanding Staff and I do need to get back there again even if it's for some R & R.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JiminFlorida33460
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Dear JimminFlorida33,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for yor recent stay.
Your feedback is important to us and to many other travelllers as this information helps them detirmine wether to stay with us or go else where. We are currently work in progress into updating/changing certain things in our Rooms.. We are glad our staff was helpful and friendly and they helped you get through out your stay. We hope you do come back soon again. Havea great day!

There are newer reviews for Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC

Reviewed 28 April 2013

In April this year, my daughter and I, we were attending the LA Times Book Festival at LAUSC. Vagabond Inn Hotel was the closest to the event. As a beginner author, I selected the hotel for its proximity as well as for the affordability of its rates. Since this is a budget hotel, I did not know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised to find the room in impeccable condition, beginning from the beautiful white sheets, comfortable beds, office staff, and maid service, all to be highly recommended.
Thank you all: Maria, Joanna, Sam, Nazneen...et all, I wish I knew all of your names - a five-star staff!

1  Thank helene r
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Dear Helene,

Thank you for your recent stay and for writiing this nice review of our property.

It was a pleasure meeting you and your daughter. We are very happy and proud to have welcomed most of the authors in our property.

We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to surprise you. Hopefully in the future you come back to LA and you stay with us again.

Sincerely, Joana-General Manager ad Staff.

P.S. Thank you for the book dedication!

Reviewed 26 April 2013

I stayed at two extremes during a recent trip to LA. The Biltmore which is a $300/night plus hotel and the Vagabond Inn which is a motel-6 type of place (but better than that I think). If you have a car and are fine with an older motel which has a wall unit AC, the room was fine. However, the neighborhood is pretty poor, not somplace that is attractive, or where I think you would want to wander around at night. I had to use cabs and one cab wanted to drop me off a block away at night and I would not think it would be wise to make that walk at night. I don't know how far USC was but many people commented that this area where the motel is located is a poor section of town. It did look like a run-down area and my fellow travelers at the motel appears to be college age students and a number of orientals that seemed to have quite a few people in the rooms. I did not see any decent restaurants nearby, mainly fast food and run-down appearance. I will say the motel lobby desk staff were very nice and accomodating.

If you are on a budget, and don't care about location because you have a car, there again is nothing wrong with the room (no bugs, the bed was comfortable enough) and the room was very clean. The sink is outside of the bathroom which I always think is a plus for multiple travelers and the price of course was less than half of the Biltmore (which in my view the Biltmore was a very old Hotel, classy but way over-priced). However, for the Vagabond, I would imagine it is best if you are someone needing to be near USC. I was commuting to the Convention Center and although only 2 miles, there were a lot of lights and traffic, so it wasn't always a quick trip (one day with tip the cab was $20).

Dear Trully,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review us. Your ffedback is important to us as it iw used for quality and training purposes.

The location where we are located is actually very safe. There is a lot of patrolling since we are 1 block away from USC. We have the LAPD, City Ambassadors, and USC Patrol. Our 24/7 Desk service has many information they can share with you.

I see you had a few issues during your stay . I do apologize for any troubles you encountered. I do want to share with you of our many nice decent restaurants near our property or within walking disctance. Asiana Grill offers 15% discount to all of our Guest's. We have there menus in the lobby, Trio house is a Thai Restaurant andthey offer 10% off to our Guest's. Viztango is an Italian Restaurant within a few steps from our property, La Taquiza is a mexican Restaurant also within walking distance, Margharitta pizza Restaurants is an Italian Restaurant less than half a block from property. For breakfast Grinder is approx 1 and a half blocks within walking disctance, Jack and Joe's is also like 7-10 minutes walking. There are many Restaurants around the area not only fast food. We are within 2 miles fromt the convention center where there many Restaurants also and live entertainment.

Next time you are in Town give us the opportunity to make things right for you.
Once again thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Sincerely Joana-GM

Reviewed 25 April 2013

While I usually stay at this Vagabond Inn because of it's proximity to USC, I stayed this time out of choice during a business trip which had me spending time at the LA Convention Center and downtown. It's not the Ritz but it's clean, reasonably priced and convenient. It's a little bit of 'Americana' - a two story motor inn. The front desk staff, Nazneen and her colleagues, were friendly and helpful. Same goes for the house cleaning ladies.

Room Tip: Call them directly to see if they can give you a break on the rate.
1  Thank Alex H
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Dear Alex H,

Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to give us a nice review! We appreciate all the good feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and good to hear our staff was helpful. We hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely, Joana-General Manager

Reviewed 24 April 2013

My son goes to USC and my wife and I stay quite often at the Vagabond Inn in Los Angeles near USC. This is a charming old-fashion motel that is very nicely maintained with excellent staff. While this is not a 5 star hotel, it certainly has 5 star staff like Nazneed or Eddie to take care of any travel concerns that you may have.

I recommend the Vagabond to USC families, business people, or anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ray C
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2013

Dear Ray C,

Thank you for your recent stay and the nice review! We appreciate all the good feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and good to hear our staff was helpful. Also we apreciate the recomendation I know this will help future Guest's on booking with us.We hope to see you again soon, Sincerely, Joana-GM and Vagabond Inn LA-USC Staff

Reviewed 22 April 2013

My daughter and I stayed here while attending an admitted student event at USC. It's certainly no luxury hotel. However, it is a pleasant property. The room was spacious and very clean. The bed was downy soft and oh so comfortable! It has a wonderful location in regard to USC: walk a few minutes and you're there. The staff we interacted with were so friendly, sweet, and helpful. My daughter decided to attend USC, so this will be my "home away from home"! I'll be staying here very often.

Room Tip: Our room faced the pool and it was quiet and when we did hear voices from below, they were muffled...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sophie109

Dear Sophie109,

Thank you for your nice review! We appreciate all the good feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and good to hear our staff was helpful. We hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely, Joana-General Manager

Reviewed 20 April 2013

My class booked a couple of rooms to shoot our short films in and it was great! The staff was very helpful and kind, and I found Maria Cardenas, the head housekeeper, to be a delight. Now anytime someone from out of town visits me, I'll have them stay there!

2  Thank itssrachel

Dear Racheal,

Thank you for your/clasmates recent stay at our property and sharing your experience with many other travellers future Guest's. We were excited to welcome all of you. We are glad everything worked out for you guys and we look forward to seeing you guys soon.

Sincerely, Joana-GM