“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #127 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
belmont
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I was very apprehensive about staying in LA, when I first pulled up to this motel, I was seriously nervous, wondering what the heck I got myself into. I came in at night straight from the freeway.
When I expressed my doubts to the clerk at check in, she assured me it was a safe neighborhood, she said we could easily walk around the corner to Fresh and Easy Market, and in the morning easily walk over to USC for our tour. I was traveling alone with my daughter, so of course I was concerned!
The clerk was right, very safe neighborhood , lots of students walking and riding their bikes, we had no problems, in fact we were very comfortable out walking at night.
The room was clean and comfortable as other reviews have stated, nothing special, the air conditioner was noisy, but provided a great white noise to sleep to.
It's not the Marriott but it was close to USC, it was comfortable , clean and quiet.
We did not eat the continental breakfast, lots of yucky looking doughnuts and sweet rolls, not my thing, but other people seemed to enjoy it!
If you are visiting USC and need a reasonably priced motel, you have found it!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank suzeego
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your experience with us and many other travelers.

We are glad you had a good stay and that your expectations were met. Our staff always try their best to have our Guest's feel welcome and safe. Hope next time you are in Town you chose to stay with us again.

Sincerely, Joana-GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Korean first
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed three nights on recent trip to L.A. Location is along main road close to USC campus. Our room was on 2nd floor. Room had very old look, furniture appeared dingy but overall cleanliness was OK. Shower/tub did not drain quickly. Had a lot of trouble maintaining a wifi connection. Room included microwave + refrigerator. Continental breakfast was limited (would like to have had a few more choices). Rate was very reasonable (esp. with AAA discount), given the location near USC. The facility location and rate were the best features to us.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Brian B
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your experience with many other travelers. We are glad your stay with us was good overall. In regards to the Wi-Fi connection being slow thank you for bringing it up to our attention it is much appreciated. We will have one of our Techs check it out. Hope next time you come to L.A. you choose to stay with us again.

Regards, Joana-GM
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Stayed 3 nights with my wife, found it to be very reasonable, clean and serviceable. You get what is advertised and value for money. Breakfast could be improved. Good wifi reception and nice pool. After staying in places that sold themselves over and above the truth, it's a relief to find a wiziwig (what you see is what you get) accomodation.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Yoni R
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Dear Ramztaz1525,

Thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your experience with many other Guest's. We are glad you had a satisfactory stay and your expectations were met. I regards to the breakfast we are working on it. Hopefully soon or next time you are around we will have a different variety/healthier breakfast but it is a bit hard since we are a limited service Hotel.

Regards, Joana-GM
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Yes, this place is not a 4-Star hotel. If you want luxury, go to the Radisson a few blocks away. However, it is a perfectly acceptable motel. It is very close to the USC campus, and caters mainly to parents of students or perspective students visiting the campus. The rooms and not large, but a perfectly acceptable size. They are simple and clean, with smoking and non smoking available. My parents, who can be a little fussy about hotels, stayed here while visiting me at school, and were quite happy. The room rates are quite cheap, and the amenities provided are definitely worth the price.
It's two down sides are that it fills up very quickly around certain busy weekends, like Parents Weekend, or around a big USC Football game. And, secondly, the prices go up around such busy weekends, as they know the demand is high. Definitely book early!
Some will complain that this motel is not in a good area. Lets be frank, almost all of USC is in a "bad area." However, it also has the feel of a college town, within the blocks surrounding campus. Having been here multiple times, including in the parking lot very late at night alone, I have never felt there was any danger. Mostly the neighborhood is college students, and businesses catering to students, including the motel. No worries!
If looking to stay near USC, this is the smartest choice. Cheap, clean, and close to campus!

Room Tip: Mark sure to specify if any handicap needs, for the motel is all stairs, and a first floor room will...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Michelle R
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Michelle R,

Thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your experience with many other Guest's. I am sure they will find your review helpful if they are planning to stay with us. We appreciate you recommending us and your loyalty. We hope to see around soon.

Costa Mesa, California, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2013

How can start this or where should I start but to begin with when I checked in they had no record of my reservation even though I showed Cristina my confirmation # when she asked for my credit card ( which I know most hotels do to check in), but what I didn't expect was to be charged again for my stay. That's $379.92 I didn't get to have to spend while I stayed their. also when I brought this up to her she didn't seem sorry or worried about she didn't apologize or anything. when she finally issued me a refund she told me that I would get it in a couple of days or when I checked out. I just got home and I still don't have my money back, she didn't comp a night or do anything to show how she basically ruined my weekend stay. When we finally got to the room. The carpet was filthy, sticky like it needed to be washed or hasn't been washed in quite some time. We found what looked like a bug in our bed and when we told them they did nothing about this. When they cleaned the room we didn't get new towels they just folded the dirty one again, again we asked for new ones and nothing had happened. only nice thing about this place was the fact it was close to the convention center, which is why we stayed there in the first place. I will never ever stay here again I hope no one else does either the place is horrible, filthy, rude staff, and they'll double charge you like they did to me. don't stay here stay somewhere else even though it'll be more. don't ever stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Yves A
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Yves A,

We are sorry for inconvenience that occurred. Unfortunately, once we identified what happened and corrected the charge on our end, it usually takes a few days for the bank to remove the pending charge. We do steam clean or carpets on a regular basis, and thank you for bringing it to our attention. As for the towels, we are a green property and in order to conserve water, ask that guests reuse their towels during their visit. If left on the ground or in the bath tub, we will replace the towel with a fresh one. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and misunderstanding that occurred during your visit. We hope you change your mind and give us another try in the future. Thank you.

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Nuremberg, Germany
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The location is great, the price is right and there's plenty of places around to grab a bite or have a drink. Convenient both for USC or Downtown LA which is not far away (very short cab ride or even walk). Rooms are spacious and WiFi is excellent. Even during the busiest of times it really felt like an oasis in the middle of LA. It's very comfortable and has a lot of that classic American motel charm. Nice swimming pool too which is a great bonus, and the complimentary breakfast is great (extra kudos for the free orange juice all day). The staff is great and Jessica and Christy were very friendly and always ready to answer any question or provide assistance with a smile. I will definitely be booking my stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: I'd rather choose 2nd floor (for added privacy) and non-smoking rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dr_Spielmann
vilausc, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Dear Dr. Spielmann,

Thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your experience with us and many other travellers. We are happy to hear our staff was of your assistance and friendly. We appreciate you are sharing all of those tips with everyone as they do come in handy to other travellers when it comes to making a decision wether to book with us location wise. We hope to see you around soon again.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

I had a great time at Vagabond-USC/LA. Cristina and Jessica are both very professional, patient and helpful. There's a nice and complimentary breakfast to help you start your day on a good note! I highly recommend Vagabond for LA visitors who need a place with a great location, superb staff and wonderful service!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Kevisit
Dear Kevisit,

Thank you for your recent stay and sharing your stay with all of us. We appreciate you are taking rcognition of the staff as this motivates them on to improving their skills and services. Hopefully next time you visit LA you stay with us.