“Need to check for noise maintenance employee”

Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC
Ranked #147 of 357 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 13 December 2009

I'm on vacation with my girlfrind. Ignorant guests come and are booked to the right and left of us. Seems like mr employee at the front books all look alike bad gusts in one crner and Anglo white I. The quiet closes to office and nice rooms. We are stuck between some cadillacs and impala with loud bumping music. I called employee to call them to do something about th noise and said he would and waited for him to no avail. Employee cares more about resting his eyes. Ridculous I called at 11:00 sharp and it's 1:30 am and I'm writing a review just shows how obnoxious these ppl are. I think this employee pinpinted as ppl who would be obnoxious but we were just here to takae vaction. I know how hotels work based o. Someone appearance they give you q certain room and rate occasionally. I k ow this for fact brother use to work for 25 hrs at different hotels big n small. You know I'm really wait g for th manager to reply because I am disaapoited. 190 for 2 nites to have some obnoxious loud music on Saturday ridiculous. Will not recommend it to anyone for now. I hope to get a phone number I can rach th manage directly seriuolsy
So one last thing I forgot to mention so I went to the front on Friday to the desk n ask for a do not interrupt. N couldn't find one but the grossest thing o saw was a rat outside the door running literally by fron desk. Why did I stay here?stay tired of driving n girlfrind wanted to sleep. It's 2:00 am n still partin will not comback till I hear a response from manager n will not recomend ruined the nite. Will make a post on LA county consumer affairs also. For the r ord employee did not want to give us another rooom n did not do anything about loud guests pathetic sevice

Reviewed 14 October 2009

My wife and I travel a lot, This trip to the USA from Australia, In LA we stayed here, We could not fault our stay, none of the bad thing people wrote we witnessed, It is clean, very safe, and according to the Police, its the safest part of LA!, close to lots of things, the Fashion district is not far, it has a huge market, great value. buses at the door every 3mins cost 50 cents, this is a good place to stay, staff go out of their way to help.
Allowing for the culture differences, NO WORRIES!, when in LA next, we we be back, Greg from OZ.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AussieGreg4000
Reviewed 8 October 2009

The only reason why I stayed at this hotel was due to its proximity to USC. There is another hotel that's closer, but that one is double the price. The staff can only handle basic check-in and check-out job. Service is poor. I recently used their 10th night free promotion for the 1st night of my 4-night stay. When I checked-in, I told the front desk person specifically that I've reserved the other 3 nights with a different agency, so please make sure that the room he would assign me to is one that I can stay for all 4 nights without changing rooms. He said that it was done and I can stay in the same room for all 4 nights, but I would have to come back the next morning just to check-in again. So, I did that the next morning, only to be told by the morning front desk person that I have to switch rooms!!! She kept saying that this is not the other staff's fault (implying that it was mine) and her attitude was bad. At the end, she did let me stay in the same room, but it was as if she had done me a big favor. If the night front desk staff had done his job to check me in properly, there would have been no issues. Very bad customer service.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 September 2009

This is a basic motel. It's old but has had some updated furniture and rugs over the years. There is a pool that is fine. The rooms are quite large with a separate area for the tub/shower and potty wtih a door and they a sink outside so two people can use the facilities at a time. The air conditioner is old and noisy but works fine. Free internet connections. The towels are thin and the soap is basic hotel. There is good parking and they don't charge for it which is unusual in LA. They have a basic free breakfast but I would skip it. There is a Denny's type diner next door which will give you a 10% discount if you show them your room key. It's food quality is on a par for Denny's It's fine for breakfast but I would skip it otherwise.

Location is the reason you stay here. It's about a 10 min walk to the USC campus and maybe 25 min to the Coliseum for football games. So you don't have to worry about finding a place to park and all the hassle that goes with it.

The rooms out by the Figueroa do have some road noise. The rooms in the back are usually quieter unless some of the students in the apartment house behind the motel are having a party after a game, like they were last week.

I give it 3 stars due to its location. Otherwise, it's a 2 or 1.5.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 14 July 2009

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed 29 April 2009

I needed to stay close to the Sports Arena for one night for a Bruce Springsteen concert. This is a budget hotel in a poor downtown neighbourhood so I wasn't expecting much. The front desk staff were pleasant enough and the motel grounds seemed well maintained. My room was pretty dingy but generally clean. The bathroom looked quite new and was a pleasant surprise. However, when I pulled back the bedspread soiled pillows where visible through the pillow cases and I slept with a towel over them. The skimpy sheet revealed a stained mattress which was pretty revolting.
Despite being close to a busy road it was quite quiet at night and once I'd locked the door I didn't feel particularly unsafe. Bruce was great but I don't think I will be staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
vilausc, Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2009

Thank you for letting us know about your experience at our hotel. Your comments help us to improve our hotel and the quality of experience for our guests. We are in the process of updating the beds in all of our rooms. We have also replaced all of our pillows with new hypo allergenic pillows. I am sorry that your stay with us was effected and we hope that you will come back and try us again.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 17 February 2009

I just returned from a trip to LA and I booked a stay at this hotel. I must say I was pleasantly surprised.. It is one of the cheapest accommodation I could find in the area, but yet it had the amenities and facilities of any other regular hotel. The room was neat and large enough for two. TV had 99 channels so no lack of entertainment..

The staff were friendly, and although I arrived early, the front desk staff was very helpful and accommodated to me checking in early (at 11am as opposed to the stated time of 2pm). Free parking is a convenience to all those who drive. The restaurant staff were also very friendly. Breakfast was included in the booking, and although it was simple fare, it was adequate to start the day.

The only gripe I had was the internet connection wasn't working throughout my stay. Reason was that the provider didn't come down to service it. It was mitigated somewhat by the availability of a stand alone in the front desk, as well as wireless connection at the restaurant, but still it caused some inconvenience as the restaurant is not open 24/7 and there is only ONE available terminal to be shared by all tenants. This is the only reason why I wouldn't rate it a 5/5.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
ManagerLAUSC, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Los Angeles at USC, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2009

We would like to thank you for taking the time and writing a review of our hotel. Your opinion and recommendation is helpful to improve our service to you. We pride ourself on the quality of service provided to the guest. We try to offer the best to our guests that is why we have teamed up with Cafe Cine Citta to offer you an expanded breakfast buffet which includes: coffee, tea, juice, fruit, yogurts, hard boiled eggs, pancake and waffle station, dry cereals and oatmeal with milk, wheat and white bread, and assorted baked pastries. We hope you come back to visit us and try us out again.