“Great hotel, small beds tho”

The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
Ranked #56 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
UK
“Great hotel, small beds tho”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights and the hotel is very large, with a really nice lobby and there are lots of bars/shops/cafes within the complex. Drink prices as expected in the area were high. The room itself was nice, with great views of downtown LA, however the beds were really small, bearly bigger than a single which was quite uncomfortable for 2 people. Overall tho, very happy with the stay here and would recommend as a base to explore LA, as the subway is just across the road and the Staples centre is about a 15 minute walk.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Czarcinski, General Manager at The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Thank you for the review being located in downtown Los Angeles is a great way to visit Los Angeles. You can catch a train to Long Beach or walk to may nice restaurants and shops. The Theatre District is also in walking distance. If looking for a King size bed we have over 700 rooms with that type of accomodation. When making a reservation you can enter that request for your next stay. Thank you again for your review. MC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 April 2012

The hotel lobby is cool as are the glass elevators. The LA public library and their gardens are kitty corner from the hotel and are amazing.

We just spent one night here with our son. A regular room with 2 beds is tight! Also while the rooms have all been re-done and are pretty fresh, the walls between the rooms are THIN. Our neighbors were having a rousing party, lots of laughs, loud phone calls and some pretty intense use of pot and tobacco (smoke was coming into our room via the internal door - you know the one that can connect two rooms). At first I thought things would die down, but I finally called the front desk, who said security would be up. I heard them call the room next door, but I don't think anyone came in person to check up. The noise/smoke did diminish for a while but it was back in a few hours. Also the mattresses were saggy! Nice sheets though. So over all it was night of bad sleep :(

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Chica-linda
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I apologize for the guests smoking and carrying on in the room next to you. PLease know we take your call very seriously and if you ever think the follow up was not complete we will allways complete the follow up if needed again. We are a non smoling hotel and unfortunatley some guests break that rule. We look forward to your return and thanks for the comments..

MC
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I would rate my stay in the Westin Bonaventure Hotel as very-good to excellent. I am writing this review as somebody who has never experienced a large city such as Los Angelese before. My room was clean, and had a fantastic view out over LA below and out toward the Hollywood hills. I could see the famous Hollywood sign from my bed. At night the surrounding sky-scrapers were amazing, and a carpet of lights stretched out as far as the horizon. During the day I swam in the pool on the rooftop of the hotel, 35 stories up, and had to alternate between each end as the sun passed behind the even larger surrounding skyscrapers - an unforgettable, brilliant, experience!

It was a short stay at the Bonaventure, and I only managed to try one of the main restaurants, and one of the take-away eateries inside. Finding a suitable place to eat for me was not so easy, but perhape that was due to the sheer size of the place.

The staff were helpful, and gave directions and advice for me to travel to around the city on public transport - I took a bus and travelled to Venice Beach.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Westin Bonaventure in Downtown Los Angeles. I must say that I enjoy the views just as much as you they never get old. Andd the next time you are in town please try LA Prime our Upscale Staek and Seafood Restaurant. I will share your comments with our Associates they appreciate your compliments. MC
Kansas City
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My 16-year old neice and I visited in April 2012. When asking about location and hotel choices based on what we wanted to do, many people encouraged us either to stay downtown or to rent a car. Well we didn't have a choice, so we not only didn't rent a car, but we stayed downtown. I have to disagree with many posters. I really enjoyed the Bonaventure. We stayed on the 20th floor and a great view of the city and could see the Hollywood sign on a clear day. The hotel is so beautiful with the fountains and amazing elevator towers. Our room was very, very clean with wonderful linen and the complimentary coffee, tea and water. The in room fridge was nice as well. There was a robe in the bathroom, but it was far from plush anymore.

Although, the hotel was away from your tourist hot spots we had no problems using the bus and sub transportation. It actually was centrally located to each. The concierge was great in helping us get around town and we were able to visit everything from Hollywood, UCLA, Santa Monica and more. I always felt safe and enjoyed the walk down to the Staples Center.

My niece grab a bit to eat at two different places upstairs in the hotel and enjoyed both. They stowed our bags for us because we arrived early and departed late. My only complaint was that the pool was under construction, BUT I was able to work out in their fitness room and it they offerred water, towels, and earphones. It was really nice and spacious.

I would definetly stay here and recommend it again!

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you very much for the review. The Los Angeles downtown are is a great central starting point when visiting the Los Angeles Area. We are also very close to Dodgers Stadiunm and the Theatre District. We look forward to your next visit. Thank you again. MC
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I had to stay here for a work trip. We upgraded to a one bedroom suite to accommodate my 2yr old and 2 small dogs. It was great. The room was very clean. It was perfect to be able to put her to bed so my husband and I could relax in the next room. We had room service one night which was really good. There was a roof top restaurant and grass area. The food there was great there! It was so convenient to have a variety of places to eat right in the hotel. The only negative thing I can say is that the lobby needs a little updating.

• Stayed February 2012
lmccue77, Director of Sales at The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thanks for your great review and for staying with us. We get many positive comments on our Tower Suites when families upgrade to have more room. I will also pass your nice remarks regarding our food quality to our culinary staff. As you are well aware, there are many dining options in Downtown LA and we are happy that you chose to dine with us. Thanks again and we look forward to your return.
Minneapolis
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This hotel has some awesome rustic charm. The huge vintage lamps in the lobby are awesome. I believe that a scene from Total Recall was filmed in the lobby. The rooms are pie-shaped because the towers are round. My collegues had a room that looked into the glass elevator and felt a little uncomfortable. I had a great view of the city. This is a great location (2 blocks from the subway). The rooms are a bit small but nicely adorned with Westin amenities. I love their bath products. The concierge was very helpful. This is an average hotel with an awesome lobby and location.

Room Tip: For $1.50 (one way) you can go to Hollywood on the Subway. We walked down The Walk of Fame and saw...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your review and kind comments regarding the style and feel of our hotel. The lobby is impressive with our furnishings, fountains and more. The movie "Total Recall" was not filmed here, but we have been the location for dozens of other famous films such as "True Lies" with Arnold Schwarzenegger, "In the Line of Fire" with Clint Eastwood and "Rain Man" with Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise. We are glad you discovered the Red Line to Hollywood. Transportation around Los Angeles is very convenient. I will pass along your positive comments regarding our concierge team as well. Thanks again for your review.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Stayed at the Westin Bonaventure in October 2011 with my boyfriend and a friend (whom we were out in California visiting). We are all 25-years-old and stayed downtown to get a dose of the touristy Hollywood things. We got this hotel at a great corporate rate, making it a good deal for our needs... however the valet parking was VERY expensive here! And it is pretty much essential to have a car if you are staying in this area and wanting to see the sights.

The hotel itself is beautiful, the lobby area had bars and restaurants to choose from as well as convenience stores, shops, etc. The room was great! Gorgeous, great linens, comfy beds and a wonderful view. Everything was very, very clean and the bathroom was large. There were nice added in-room amenities such as gourmet coffee and tea and high-end toiletries.

Great downtown location puts you central to many things in LA... overall a great pick, especially if you can get it at a good rate!

Room Tip: Get a high floor room for a great view of LA at night
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your visit and your review. We had an abundance of visitors from Wisconsin during the Rose Bowl in January. We do offer a great downtown Los Angeles location and we are glad you were able to enjoy some of the sights and unique LA attractions. Parking alternatives are close by which include self parking in garages or open lots. When you are making your reservations to stay with us again be sure to ask the agent about parking alternatives. Thanks again for your visit and your kind comments.