“Not Worth the Money”

The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
Ranked #50 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I guess first of all, the fact that I do NOT like LA being from NY, may have not helped in my initial expectations of this Westin Hotel. The reviews on this hotel I have read thus far, in my opinion have been accurate and a fair description of the hotel, it's location and lack of service skills. Location: for downtown, it is fine, if downtown is what you need, I was on a business conference that was out of the Convention Center, and it required a shuttle. Everything is so far away in LA, whereas in NYC it is right down the street. It took me 45 minutes round trip to by walking to buy a bottle of water and some snacks outside the hotel about 3 blocks away. The area- Downtown LA simply is a riddled with questionable people and they are all very aggressive. Being from NYC I don't mind this as much, but others do and it is getting worse from what I have been told. Sorry, but a single waling female has no business walking anywhere in the downtown area at this point. The Hotel- definetly aged, and worn, and lacking in any type of real 4-5 star level service skills. Check in was smooth, but that was last time I spoke to anyone at the hotel who didn't have an attitude, or was too busy to be even friendly. The morning coffee service at the bar, they didn't even look at me as I ordered, so the next morning I went across the street to a local starbucks to avoid these 2. I even had questions on the hotel's services- food services, business center and could never get a straight answer or worse conflicting answers. The exception to this was the concierge whom I consulted once and he was great. The Room- aged for sure, older and useless and beat up furnishings, very thin walls but otherwise wasn't too bad. Our room did not have an honor bar, nor a TV with any hotel services/movies/etc, you would expect A Westin to have. The INTERNET: Simply stated was horrible.. They still charge 12.95 per day for this, which is why luxury hotels or luxury want to be hotels such as this, are losing share to the limited service hotels. The internet NEVER worked and when it did was so slow I could not even work on emails. We made numerous calls to the front desk, and of course they knew there were problems, but continued to tell me it would be fixed, it never was, or to come down to lobby and use free wireless signal, which of course is what I really want to do at 2:00 am when I finally have time to answer my emails. To their credit, they did not charge my room after I complained daily and took off all internet charges. LASTLY- Food and Beverage- Simply the rudest bar tenders I have ever seen in my life, made me not want to go back to lobby bar, in fact I didn't after my second night. The very over priced breakfast at I believe $24.00 for a buffett was ok, but did it only once because of the timing and the cost. Room Service took over an hour, was cold etc, but it was my last night and I expected nothing less from them as I would now of any department in that hotel at that point. This property have generally low TA scores for its level and brand and it is now easy for me to tell why.. Will not return ever and may have to go to SPG, due to the fact I paid nearly $300 per night and don't feel I had the service level returned.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Andrew H
Czarcinski, General Manager at The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Thank you for your review. I am sory we did not meet your expectations. We love NY and being a Yankees fan I am looking forward to personally taking care of you the next time you visit Los Angeles. We appreciate your views and will share this with our team so we can exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

I was here for only 1 night for a business trip in the Fall of 2011. Upon our early arrival (as in before Noon), the Guest Services staff went out of their way to find us rooms for check-in (I was traveling with 2 colleagues, so we needed 3 rooms total). They managed to find us 3 rooms so we could refresh after a morning flight, have lunch and prepare for our meetings. For an older hotel (its build dates to the late 1970's), it is well maintained. The rooms were essentially new, and VERY well maintained and appointed. I was very impressed. I was upgraded to a suite, which included a pleasant seating area/living room, and work desk. Large windows allowed for views overlooking the city. Everything was in working order, clean and comfortable.

The hotel is actually 4 separate towers, so it may take time to adjust to the elevator you need to reach your tower. It was a very unique design, more common when the hotel was designed and built.

For meals, lunch was nothing spectacular in the lobby Lakeview Bistro restaurant, so I would suggest local alternates. However, for Happy Hour and Dinner, the 34th floor BonaVista Lounge offers incredible 360 degree views on a revolving platform! An absolute MUST VISIT. One floor up, and you can indulge yourself with fine wine, and incredible steaks at LA Prime. If your budget allows, treat yourself, you will not be disappointed. I dined with my colleagues and our client, and this was a 5-star experience. In the morning, there are a few options for breakfast, but I just opted for the to-go options, and enjoyed some of the Starbucks Coffee, complimentary in my guest room.

If you're staying longer, or for pleasure, there is a gorgeous outdoor swimming pool, 5th floor level I think, with incredible city views. You can also just watch the hotel elevators, which run on the exterior of the hotel. For me personally, I have a fondness for well-maintained older hotels. They are generally a more solid build and usually offer something unique. I would definitely return again to the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank historytraveler27

Thank you for the review. When in Los Angeles downtown is a great starting point for business or pleasure. I will share your comments with our team we are so happy when our guests have a great experience in Los Angeles at the Westin Bonaventure!

Reviewed 25 April 2012

Unless you having business meetings in downtown LA this is not the best hotel. I was in LA for vacation and even walking downtown on almost every street corner is a homeless person approaching you asking for money. The hotel was nice but there surrounding area was less than desirable.

• Stayed: April 2012

Thank you for your review. When staying in downtown Los Angeles you are close to the Metro thatwill get you to Hollywood, Universal Studios and other Southern California attractions. You are correct we are located in the heart of the Los Angeles business district. Our Downtown BID and Central City Asociation have safety and visitor assistance to help keep downtown Los Angeles the safest district in Los Angeles. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here for a week for a conference and was very disappointed in my stay for the amount of money it cost to stay here. Other reviewers are right, you can hear your neighbors loud and clear through the walls/vents! I also could hear the elevators go up and down all night and I was not even staying in a room right next to them. The rooms are sort of pie shaped so they are probably a tad smaller than a regular hotel room. Other than that the rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable...in fact it was one of the best beds I have slept on in a hotel. As an fyi, the rooms come with an in-room safe big enough for a laptop if you should need it.

Dining and shopping choices in the Hotel are mediocre. I thought this would be a plus in staying here, but there are much better options down the street. Be sure to venture from the hotel out to other nearby eateries as there are some really good places to eat within several blocks.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Czarcinski, General Manager at The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Thank you very much for your comments. If time permits please send your room number with the comment noise in the email to labon@westin.com we will checlk the room insulation and repair. Thank you for the comments about our Heavenly bed it is a great way to relax and enjoy downton Los Angeles. Thank you again.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

As a preface, I travel to a limited degree to review rock concerts, and have begun to include hotel and resort reviews as well, which I am republishing here is modified form. This review is for The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites in Los Angeles, during my recent Los Angeles Trip (February 2012).

Room Type/Class: Traditional Room
Date: February 7-10, 2012
Overall Rating: 4/5

This trip was explicitly to attend two concert events - one at Club Nokia and the other one in Hollywood. I lived and worked in Los Angeles for many years while I was in graduate school, so I'm really familiar with it. Since Club Nokia is part of L.A. Live, I thought it made sense to find a hotel that is within walking distance of L.A. Live, which put me downtown. I considered the Marriott and the Ritz-Carlton that are part of L.A. Live, but they were much more expensive compared with The Westin Bonaventure's Hotwire price.

I ended up deciphering a "hidden" discounted offering on one website to purchase on another, and found that The Westin Bonaventure was the hotel being offered within that class range for a highly discounted cost off the base rate, and booked it.

So the hotel has valet parking, but it is an additional $35 per night. If you don't mind walking a block or two, I noticed that there appeared to be some other public parking alternatives that would be cheaper; I ended up using the valet, which is underground and you walk down a hallway adorned with movie poster one sheets of films shot at and around the hotel (see photos below), and up an escalator toward the main entry level where the front desk is located.

Check-in was quick and otherwise unremarkable. I had originally booked two nights, but one of my events was canceled and rescheduled... I asked if I could add a night at the discounted price, and was told they couldn't sell rooms at that price, but the guy at the front desk looked in his computer to see their occupancy for the desired night, and more or less indicated that if I went on that reseller website again, I would likely be able to add the third night at the same reduced rate (when I went up to my room, I was able to do this and add it on).

I was actually really excited to check out the elevators, as there is a scene with Arnold Schwarzenegger in True Lies where he goes up one of the elevators on horseback; the gentleman at the front desk was able to direct me to the exact elevator I was seeking.

As for the room itself, I had the basic/base room, and was pleased that it was on one of the higher floors (better views). While on the small side, it was very clean and nicely appointed, as I've learned to expect from Westin properties.

Maybe because it is an older property, the shower and bed are maybe not as "Heavenly" as some other Westin properties, but overall the room suited my needs perfectly (traveling alone) with king-sized bed and computer desk. Internet connectivity via WiFi was good but not spectacular.

For me, the best bonus of the room was the view. Most of the outward facing wall is glass floor to ceiling, as the view was spectacular, particularly at night.

There are some amenities in the hotel that I just didn't have the time to use - restaurant, bar, etc.

As noted, I had come to L.A. for a concert at L.A. Live, and found that it was definitely a reasonable walking distance from the Westin Bonaventure - maybe too far for some people's taste, but I walked back and forth several times and I don't think it took more 15 minutes.

Overall, I don't have any complaints at all, though it would be nice if valet parking was included, but I knew from my research ahead of time that was a cost to factor into the overall value proposition of the stay. When I attend a future event at L.A. Live, I would likely return to the Bonaventure, unless there is a special deal at one of the competing properties.

Room Tip: I would ask for a higher floor for better view. If $35/night is too much to add on for valet parkin...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your review The Westin Bonaventure in Downtown Los Angeles is a great base for your Los Angeles staycation. We appreciate your comments and look forward to your next stay. LA Live and Dodgers Stadium are close along with the Disney Concert Hall and the Los Angeles Financial district. Thank you for choosing the Bonaventure.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

The Westin Bonaventure is a gem in Downtown LA. Since the recent remodel, the accomdations are above and beyond. The classic glass elevator adds to the experience. The room is your typical superb Starwood quality.

This is a perfect place for an LA Staycation. It's centrally located to all the Downtown action.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Czarcinski, General Manager at The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Thank you for the review. Being in downtown Los Angeles gives you alot of options like theatre and LA Live in walking distance. A one mile cab to Dodgers games or take the Metro to Hollywood or Long beach the train is only 2 blocks away. Thanks and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

Booked through a deal site on a "blind" deal where you don't know the hotel name until after you book, which I will never do again. The hotel is beautiful, no doubt but beware the extra charges!!

Here is where they get you - parking is $38.00 per DAY for hotel guests. Wi fi fee is $12.95 per DAY. If you make a LOCAL phone call from the land line in your room, it's $1.50 per call. There were other things that alone would be considered minor, like the sign at check in informing guests the pool is being renovated until late April, so if you want to use a pool, you can walk across the street to the Marriott and use theirs. Our clerk said the best place to eat in the hotel was the pub on the 4th floor - even gave us a coupon to use there - great! We put our stuff in the room and went down to the 4th floor pub and there was a sign saying they were closing at 7:00 for a private event (it was 6:56 when we arrived). You'd think the front desk should know that. After a very long, hot day, all we wanted was to chill by the pool, and a good meal with a cold beer, neither were easily obtainable.

The room itself was nice and clean. Comfortable bed, great view. One robe was provided (which seemed odd), noise from elevators was prevalent from our room.

So all in all, beautiful hotel but expect to spend a lot of money on incidentals when you go.

Room Tip: Stay away from elevators for a more quiet sleep experience.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Thank you very much for the review, if possible next time check out our website there are packages that include parking and others that include meals. Also the WIFI is free for SPG Gold and PLlatinum memebers please join our Starwood SPG program and save big. Also WIFI is complimentary in our lobby that is one city block square. Thanks again and plese returm.