“Nice hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Boston
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Hotel the typical Westin I have come to enjoy. Nice location with great access to LA freeways but does nothing to help with the traffic. Some ok places to eat in the area but not too much for variety. Valet parking is $37 per day but in the garage about 100 yards past the hotel on Figeroa, it's $8 for 24hours if you enter after 4:30 pm. Much better deal!

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank skiyuh
Czarcinski, General Manager at The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Thank you for the review and information regarding your stay in Los Angeles. We appreciate this and will share with the team to thank our Asssociates where things were great and inprove where we see a challenge. Thank you again.

MC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

This is a nice hotel, though not Westin's finest, worth staying at.
Pluses:
Skyline views from upper floors are awesome.
Silent rooms, almost no noise whatsoever.
Well appointed rooms, though the design team slacked a bit.
Comfortable bed and bedding, though not as nice as other Westin properties.
Minuses:
Rooms smelled like carpet chemicals.
Pool lounge chair cushions slide off when you sit in them, so flat use only.
Poor signage in lobby directing to valet and garage locations, pool location (confusing), etc..
The ceiling height in the garage level is just over 6', which is a little unnerving.
Walking proximity to restaurants not great.
On the whole, definitely like this hotel despite the quirks.

2 Thank Napaguy2006
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Stayed here for a convention and I really enjoyed this place! Was it the perfect view of the city? I slept with the drapes open at night! Not used to the city lights where I come from. Clean and modern decor. The elevators sure are quick! Wow was I in a rocket or something? The restaurant on top revolved! A little strange but definitely something I don't see everyday! Got a cute souvenir teddy bear for my kid and good deals on tee shirts there. The second time I stayed here was in an older more gentlemens club decor with very bad lighting in the bathroom but still a great view of the city. Great shops and eateries and there is a library nearby and I also enjoyed shopping at the Macys Plaza down the road. Reception desk just ok.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Stayed for one night in December 2011 as we came in late from New York on our way to Las Vegas. I have stayed hundreds of nights in this hotel with company travel. It is a beast of a hotel. Good luck to anyone who has had a few drinks finding their room! You need a trail of breadcrumbs sometimes. Don't take an adjoining room, paper thin door and you will be sorry!

I was happy to see the rooms had been renovated and the bathroom had a facelift. I only ever book a cheap room here for a short transit. For longer stays I go to the W Hotel Westwood, the SLS Beverley Hills or the Westin Pasadena.

This hotel is great for a nights sleep in a heavenly bed. The city is great during the day but dead on weekends. It has a Macy's with Bath & Bodyworks, Victorias secret and some food places within walking distance. There is the Standard Hotel rooftop which is great for a drink.

The sandwich shop in the hotel is staffed by the rudest women I have encountered but they make a mean sandwich! Greek take away looks weird but he makes great chicken. Tip - order a whole Pizza and they will make it fresh at the Pizza joint. There are quite a few choices for eating in th hotel. Bar is fine too.

Expect nothing from the staff. If you arrive late, you will be carrying your own bags. The best facility is the luggage room where we left 4 massive suitcases safely for 4 days so we could just take small wheelie bags to Las Vegas.

It's average but for the money I pay and I'm happy enough.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Waitermorebubbles
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Stayed there with my Wife a couple of weeks ago, like we do every month (we come on business once a month and are in the SPG program). Up until a couple of months ago every thing was fine other than a couple of instances of a "less than clean" room. However, things have lately taken a turn for the worse.

I should start out by saying that we stayed a little over a month ago and were treated rudely by the desk staff, then received a cigarette smelling room, then were moved to another, which had obscene amounts of mold on the windows (I'm very allergic) then were moved to another. At that time I decided we would not return but my Wife convinced me that it was just bad luck. Not so.

We stayed again a couple of weeks ago and it was almost an identical repeat of the last experience i.e. rude service and several room changes due to lack of cleanliness. Louis, the desk guy, is unprofessional, rude and, if he worked for me, would be fired. Every time we stay there I avoid him (even if it means going to a different, longer line). He is condescending on the phone and in person and is highly uninterested in making your stay enjoyable - he seems more interested in his gold chains and slicked back hair, i.e. personal appearance, than providing professional service.

I waited two weeks to write this so I wouldn't be so "aggressive" in my tone but I am eternally angry with being treated like crap by a hotel that we have stayed at for YEARS. Therefore, I won't bore you all with the details of what was said. However, I asked to speak with a manager to convey our displeasure with Louis...she (Christine/a) was also of no help other than offering to comp our parking (I don't want free, I want right!). Our room wasn't ready so I asked her when one did become available to ensure it was clean. She said she would deal with it personally.

When we returned that evening I told the girl at the desk that the manager Christine should have a room for us. She said that there is no manager named Christine...so I must be making it all up? (later we would find out that there WAS a Christin-A!really...was it that much of a stretch?). Regardless, she had no idea what I was talking about (no manager reserved a "clean" room) and gave us a....wait for it...DIRTY ROOM!! Then moved us to a room with the elevator and another room's window directly in front of ours....basically the worst room (view/noise wise) in the hotel - AND the hotel had plenty of available rooms. After changing again, we got a clean room but there were no toiletries, robes, slippers...nothing.

I am sick of it and fed up!! We will NEVER return to this hole and if it weren't for the fact that we still stay in the Westin Warsaw from time to time and are considering the Westin in Maui, I would shred our SPG membership.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the center have NO view and lower rooms receive a lot of street noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank LuxuryLance
White Plains, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Could never afford except on business but the overall design is clever, really seems guest-focused -- a genuine outdoor pool, a bar that offers comfort and privacy while you can spot anyone you're looking for with ease, small but quite adequate rooms. The atrium design and lobby water features at first seem precious and pretentious but over several days were recurrently soothing and pleasant. The 4-elevators-in-corners set-up works very well once you get used to it. First thought the location was isolating but realized that the very cheap shuttle loop right next to the hotel makes such wonderful and extraordinary destinations as the Japanese-American Museum -- a real do not miss -- very accessible, and in fact walking around the long blocks and huge buildings in the area was not as daunting as it first seemed. Concierge helped us locate a way cheaper overnight parking facility almost across the street, much closer than the lot we found on our own and no more expensive. Overall, for four days a very positive experience.

Room Tip: Try to get close to pool entrance.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Vanessa M
North Cariolina
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Concierge called doctor and got my son in within hour. Allowed us to keep going with our two week vacation. This was outstanding service. Doctor and nurses were great. Even filed insurance for us and gave us recommendations for our trip. Hotel itself was nice(except fot double beds queens would be nicer) but had to pay for parking, internet, and breakfast so add 38 per night parking, 12.50 for in room w-fi (free in lobby), 20-100 for breakfast. I feel these charges are exorbitant. Great service, good hotel, good location(if you have car or don't mind riding subway), poor value because of extra fees.