“*Great Staff*”

GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“*Great Staff*”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I give the WESTIN BONAVENTURE HOTEL in downtown Los Angeles, CA, a solid 4-stars for the GREAT staff. Everyone from the bellboys to the check-in desk to the room service waiter was A+.

My room was on the 24th floor with great views of the city and the room was spotless. They provide complimentary bottled water and Starbuck's coffee in the room (you have to brew it), which also has a small refrigerator. Each room also has a bathrobe and comes stocked with shampoo, conditioner, soap, alarm clock, iron, ironing board, and hair dryer.

There are also plenty of outlets for your electronic devices, one is on the side of the writing desk, so you can recharge anytime.

You can order room service 24 hours a day, you're only limited to menu selection, but it's expensive because there's two service charges, which doesn't include tip.

The only issues I had with the room was that there was hardly any water pressure in my sink, but the bath worked fine. Also, the television has some HD channels but a lot of them didn't come in very clear. The premium channels were Showtime, Showtime Extreme, and another Showtime channel, along with local channels.

Another thing that wasn't good was the soda vending machine on my floor was out of order and the ice machine stopped working temporarily, so I had to go to the floor below me to get ice and soda.

Dog Owners: The 4th floor has a large grassy area so they can relieve themselves, but bring your own poopy bags. You access this floor by taking the elevators either down or up to the 3rd or 5th floor, the elevator doesn't stop on the 4th floor, and then walk the stairs.

Many of the restaurants and shops inside the hotel were closed down, the rest being fast food places and sundry type shops selling brick-a-brack, so that was a little disappointing. There's a fast food place in there called the Happy Cow Diner that makes a really good Pho, so check it out.

The very famous restaurant at the top of the hotel is still operating, but I didn't go up there. It sounded expensive and I don't think I was properly dressed for it.

If you can afford it, and just want to fulfill a need to stay at what was once a very POPULAR hotel, then try it out. Just don't get your hopes up too high and you'll have a nice trip.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Alex H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We have stayed one night on a business trip. The view from the hotel is amazing. The sound proofing is not. At 2 am we were awaken by the noise from the hallway, these were the neighbors returning to their room. We heard every word they said in the hallway, then shower, then hairdryer, then sex. When asked downstairs the next morning if this was a common complaint, the reception clerk admitted that people do complain, and that is how the hotel was built.

Coto de Caza, California
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Be careful getting luggage out of your car in the garage. There is a pipe hanging from the ceiling right where the valet stand is that prevented the hatch from opening fully on my car. I went to remove luggage thinking I had clearance but did not, resulting in a hefty gash to my head.

Also, the property is set up for a bunch of restaurants and businesses inside, but most are closed, giving it a bit of a "ghost town" appearance.

Gold Coast
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I was really impressed with this hotel, it is so big, spacious and feels quite luxurious. The rooms were nice, with mine having a distant view of the Hollywood sign. We chose to stay here as we were going to watch a game at staples centre and found this hotel perfectly located and the area around it safe.

Check in was easy and upon checking in my husband realized that he had left his credit card at the previous hotel in Anaheim, the gentleman checking us in went out of his way to get it back for us!

As we had only a few hours in LA we were directed to the tour desk where we had a tour booked and were picked up within the hour.

The food at the bar was good as was the service.

I would most certainly stay here again, my only regret was I did not have longer,

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
US
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I recently stayed at this property in LA. It was extremely convenient for my business location and my room was fine, albeit very geometrically shaped. The only problem I had was the hot water never really got hot because it was cold in LA and I was on a high floor. Im guessing that this was not the hotel's fault; however, the shower water was warmer on day 2 so they much have turned up the temp on the boiler. Otherwise I found the employees of the hotel to be quite friendly and helpful! If you're staying in downtown LA, I'd definitely recommend this property.

Tucson
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Ironically, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before checking into the Westin Bonaventure so I am able to do back-to-back experiences. In all honestly, I would choose another Holiday Inn Express in a heartbeat over the Westin Bonaventure.

First off, be prepared to pay a very high fee for parking. A ridiculous amount to be honest.

Checking in, I encountered a long line and a condescending hotel clerk. I mentioned to her that I had forgotten my Westin preferred card and she quickly told me that I could not use my card because "the business" made the reservation and paid for it. Huh? The business? Did she mean MY clinic? The one I one and run? The reservation I made and paid for? Every time I had contact with this woman, in fact, she was very rude and incredibly condescending to me. She never even apologized for my lack of towels in my room. She seemed put out by having to get me towels. She behaved as though it was a waste of her time to have to assist a guest with an issue.

After a long day, I could hardly wait to get back to my room, wash up, and jump in a Jacuzzi. I got to my room, went to wash my face and found there was no washcloth. I contacted the desk then waited 15 minutes for them to arrive. I put on my swim suit and headed for a much needed jacuzzi. Surprise!!! No jacuzzi!!! So, I headed back to my room. Maybe there was a jacuzzi to in the room I overlooked? Nope! Just a plain white tub. Coming out of the bathroom, I noticed an ugly stain on the carpet (see picture). It almost looked like someone stepped in blood.

I went to open the curtain for better light to view the stain and you can see the lovely view I had.

All in all, I would happily pay the price I paid at the Westin Bonaventure to stay at the Holiday Inn Express, but I would think twice about coming to the Westin Bonaventure again at any price. Not worth it.

2 Thank cmlvngstn
Scandinavia
Reviewed 10 January 2013

The Westin Bonaventure Hotel has good standard, and there`s a few shops and restaurants in the hotel building. The hotel consists of several high rise buildings, and is quite large! I was staying only for two days, as I was going to attend the International Salsa congress that takes place here every year in May.. Unfortunately I got ill and had to leave..
Anyways, the hotel seems fine, but, nothing in the surrounding areas.
Downtown LA is an industrial area, not much to see, you have to go by car to get anywhere, and you have to drive a lot..!! Up to you what you prefer..

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo