“Good choice for downtown LA”

The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
Ranked #51 of 352 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Positives:

Large hotel with ample space
Many dining choices in/near hotel
Very good workout room
Clean comfortable rooms, nice Westin beds

Negatives:
Large, not very friendly hotel
Slow check in, long lines

However it's downtown LA, there must be a reason why you are here, and the Westin is a decent choice!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the freeway and on-ramps, ask front desk, they know if you press them!
There are newer reviews for The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed here for a one night in-town getaway, using SPG cash plus points to book a standard room (I have Starwood Gold status). The front desk person was extremely friendly and we were upgraded to a suite without asking, which was much appreciated. We were offered both 250 SPG points and free wifi as an SPG welcome gift.

The room was nice, newly renovated, with 1.5 bathrooms, a living room with wet bar and TV, and a bedroom with TV. I believe the sofa is a pull out and the bedroom can be separated from the living room by a sliding door. We had a nice downtown view from the 14th floor.

A couple criticisms of the room; there is not enough light over the closet area which is in an awkward corner, there are no hooks on the wall of the bathroom (I like to be able to hang my toiletries bag) and the bed, while with nice linens, did not really have the most comfortable mattress (it sagged a bit in the center).

In terms of hotel amenities, we really did not use any. We had a drink at the Bonaventure Brewing Company, where they brew their own beer on site. I wish the front desk had told us about the rotating lounge at the top of the hotel-somehow we missed this and did not hear about it until after we left. We did not have breakfast there (opted for a breakfast sandwich at the Subway in the hotel but there are other options).

The public spaces of the hotel interior were a ghost town. There are 3-4 levels of the interior atrium which have space for shops and restaurants and I'd say at least 60% of them are empty or closed. This leads to a slightly creepy feeling when walking around and had me saying to my husband that the hotel would be a prefect set for a zombie apocalypse movie. There is a LOT of concrete in the interior.

I really like the location as it's perfect walking distance to the MOCA museum and tons of great restaurants. Parking costs at the hotel are insane. We parked across the street in a structure which is connected by a bridge to the hotel. In the end however, it only saved us $10 because the structure charges $15/day starting at 5am.

In the end, I would stay here again, especially if I could get a good rate. I would look for better parking options however.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
lmccue77, Director of Sales at The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your comments. We love our SPG Gold guests and am pleased to learn that you were upgraded to a tower suite. I am glad that you discovered some dining and parking options, however, you did miss a treat by not visiting the BonaVista Lounge which is on the 34th floor. The lounge rotates 360 degrees and offers amazing views of Downtown Los Angeles. During your next visit please contact me and I will invite you to a special wine tasting we hold most Wednesday evenings for our SPG guests and other VIP's.

We look forward to your next visit to the Westin Bonaventure.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

I stayed here with my family for a convention in February. The Bonaventure did NOT disappoint.

First, the staff is beyond helpful and friendly. No matter where we were in hotel, the staff treated us very well. We had wonderful conversations with the waiters in the restaurant, and after getting lost in the building, one of the door men actually escorted me to correct location.

Second, the architecture is unbelievable! You really feel as if you're outside, walking the streets of LA (minus the ugly realities of walking in LA i.e. smog, graffiti . . . ) We were told that the circular layout of the hotel is meant to cause some confusion - much like walking around LA. The building has a modern industrial feeling which is softened with running water and trees. The Bona Vista Lounge is also unique and makes for a great experience. The drinks are classics and fairly decent. We got the cheese plate with our drinks which was delicious.

The not so good: the food situation. Given that I was attending a conference, I didn't have a lot time for meals, and since we had our children with us, we didn't want to go anywhere fancy. The Brewery was closed for remodeling and the choices in the food court weren't great. We actually left one restaurant when my husband saw the food handler touching money and not washing his hands after! We were able to have breakfast one morning in the downstairs restaurant and it was excellent; my family had room service burgers one evening and were blown away by the quality.

Overall, the room was very comfortable and clean. The view was unparalleled! We had an incredible view of skyline.

I would certainly recommend staying at this location and cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: All of the rooms seem wonderful.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2013

To be fair, I am afraid of heights. I hate them! They scare the life out of me. If you do not like heights, this hotel may be tough for you. All the guest elevators are on the exterior of the hotel, and I was on the 31st floor! Made my trips up and down a little rough, but I got through it.

Now, as for the rest, it was nice. The room was comfortable, clean and up to date. The lobby had a nice cafe to grab a coffee and snack. I will say that the Brewery in the hotel was not worth the visit, but they do not run that.

I was here for two nights, and it was all about location. We were close to the meetings and events we needed to attend, so no real complaints there. I would likely look for a something on a lower floor if I stayed here again, but the hotel itself was good.

Room Tip: High floors are an adventure!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Westin Bonaventure. Our guest elevators are exterior and having a fear of heights may not the best way to arrive at your guest room. They are very safe and secure with frequent inspections that ensure every guest's safety. They are also featured in countless amateur Youtube videos and Hollywood movies including True Lies and In The Line of Fire.

During your next visit please let the front desk know a lower floor is requested. We can also have a staff member ride with you and we will even offer to escort you to your room on one of our many interior service elevators. Your safety is very important to us.

Thank you for staying at the Westin Bonaventure.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

What a disappointing experience - such a beautiful hotel but badly mismanaged. From our valet experience up to the front desk - dreadful.

Upon arrival, We had to move 3 different times to find the correct valet service. Even when leaving the parking garage, it was complete chaos.

Even though our employer had reserved our rooms online and secured with his credit card, because he had inadvertently not chosen to "pre-pay", when we arrived at the front desk, we were without a reservation! The desk clerk was indifferent about the whole affair and no apology was offered.

Fortunately, we were close to home (Palm Springs) so we elected to drive back instead. But if were with kids, or from out of state, this could have been a real problem!

Too bad, it was a really beautiful hotel!

1  Thank Travis S

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We have identified several training opportunities that will assist us in improving our service standards and our overall guest experiences. I have passed your comments on to our garage manager, front office manager and reservations team. Please allow us to assist in scheduling your next visit to show you we have improved. Please mention to the reservations agent or front desk manager that you experienced these issues with your past stay and we will work together to make sure your visit with us is relaxing and without issues.

Thank you again for your comments and for staying at the Westin Bonaventure.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

Loved the notices by the elevators on which have been in movies. The unusual outline of the hotel in 5 circles, makes each room a little different, but who wants a standard room anyway. Several nice restaurants close by, plus all attendants were very friendly. Check in is a little wait, since this is a big convention hotel.

2  Thank mcclungp
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I checked late. It was no problem at all. The manager Mohit asked us what our room preference was to which we said we had none. And Voila!! He bumped us straight to 31st floor. I thank him for this as my little one enjoyed (and me) enjoyed the view from the top and the capsule lift go up and down for a long time. He even forgot to cry as he was so tired.

My only complaint is the 40$ charge for parking. 40$ is very steep for one night parking. And breakfast was very expensive as well, I thank Mohit again for informing us that we can buy what we want to eat from the lobby. That wasnt too bad.

But for the hotel to maintain its standards it should ease off a bit trying to rip its customers off!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends