“Exploring Los Angeles”

GreenLeadersGold level
Ketchikan, Alaska
“Exploring Los Angeles”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We decided to stay in the heart of Los Angeles for three nights and randomly ended up at the Westin. It took awhile to discover all of the hotel's benefits. We did immediately go out and explore the heart of LA by walking to City Hall, Chinatown, and the historical center of LA. Also within walking distance is Olvera Street and Union Station. The location was great and so were all the services in the hotel.

Room Tip: I love the rooms on the higher floors- we were on the 24th floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
California
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I booked king bed on line. Arrived at 7:45 pm, valet parking underground just past entrance on Flower street. Both Flower and Figueroa street are one-ways. Room service took 35 minutes to get nice sirloin burger with bowl of ripe fruit assortment and fries. $20.08 with room charge and 19% service charge. (They said it would be 35-40 minutes.) Pretty quiet except city noises. 25 floor red tower. Room is smallish for the price $249 with AAA discount on-line spg.com. I called reservations. They could not get book the $249 price I found online so they told me to book it online. 2 free bottles of water, coffee maker, fridge, newspaper. Nice work desk. elevator was a bit slow to arrive. Nice bed linens. . Wake up call was correct. They did knock on door at 9 a.m. to clean the room but quickly retreated when I answered. They stored my luggage. All staff was polite and efficient. Walked to work meeting. From the time I walked back into hotel I had my carry on bag and car and was gone in 10 minutes.

Los Altos, California
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Starting with the positives, I will say that the room and the bed were extremely comfortable. This is, after all, why I stay at a hotel. The bed provided a great night's sleep. The views from my room were outstanding, looking out over downtown Los Angeles. The staff at the reception desk were attentive and efficient.

Onto the stranger parts. The bar provided no food whatsoever after 10:00p. I was directed to the brewpub up on the fourth level for food. Fair enough, but here's where the oddness begins. The hotel was obviously built in the 70's. It is constructed from cast concrete and has a very quirky configuration...think Starship Enterprise. To get to the brewpub I had to go up to the fifth level and then walk down a staircase back down to the fourth level (of course!) The same was true getting back to the main level. To get to my room I had to walk over to the red elevator (elevators are creatively named red, blue, green...you get the idea) and take it up to the 16th floor. The layout of the hotel was bizarre. I'm surest seemed like a great idea in the 70's. Much like the AMC Pacer.

1 Thank JChB64
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We booked this hotel based on a recommendation and because my husband was in town for work. Not thinking, this person probably stayed at the hotel10-15 years ago. Back then, I'm sure it was nice. The pictures online do make it look nice. And the lobby area is. Lots of nice seating around the bar area. And the rooms aren't bad. The walls and SUPER thin though. We could clearly hear the other person in the room next door at 1 am. AND housecleaning decided to come clean the room in the middle of the night. I have never heard of a hotel doing that, but when my husband called to complain, they said they hire a night crew. Not cool!! As for the 'shopping', 'dining', and 'mall' in the hotel. There shopping consists of a gift shop. You can see there may have been a 'mall' at one point in time, but it is no longer there. Now its just a bunch of empty spaces. And for the 'dining', there is a very pricy restaurant on the 35th floor, with a rotating lounge below it. And the lobby bar. The rest of the dining consists of small locally owned places. None looked remotely appealing. There was a bar/restaurant that we did not try that may have been ok. The plus side is its location to there dining options. There is an underground mall of eateries right across the street that has a lot of lunch options. A few blocks away is a very good italian restaurant and another italian restaurant called Maria's is about 2-3 blocks away. For cheaper, better food options go there. The rotating lounge was overpriced and the food was horrible. We ordered the crab dip and it was inedible. I admit, I'm from the Baltimore area where crap dip is pretty popular, but I would never call what we ordered crab dip. It was watered cheese and my husband said the crab was imitation. Thank god the waiter was nice enough to remove it from our check when he noticed we hadn't eaten any. We ended up going back to Maria's for their happy hour, with $6 glasses of house wine, $4 apps, and very good pizza. And the plus, their happy hour lasts all night in the bar. Overall, I would not recommend this place. And not knowing the area, it is quite a ways from Hollywood. Your pretty much surrounded by office buildings where things are pretty dead when the work day ends.

Main Line, PA
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed here for a conference that was taking place at the hotel. If it weren't for that conference, we would have stayed elsewhere. Plus sides: fantastic views from your room, from the elevator towers and from the restaurant at the top, decent wifi in the hotel. Negatives: Guest rooms are actually smaller than the average NY hotel room, rooms are dated and in need of some "freshening up", guest room doors are very unattractive and are of middle-school-gymnasium grade, the restaurant at the top of the hotel serves uninspiring, mediocre food that is equivalent to what you would get at a diner (although you'll have to pay triple to four times the price to eat at this hotel), the lobby is extremely noisy and has as much atmosphere as Grand Central Station at rush hour. In sum, "charm" is not something you'll find at this hotel. If you have a conference going on at this hotel, then of course stay here for the sake of convenience; otherwise, look for some place else.

1 Thank DanMainLine_PA
Tennessee
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This business and convention hotel serves the needs of worldwide travelers -- and especially the air crews of several major international airlines. Located in Downtown LA - it is convenient to many key office buildings and a short ride or 15 min walk to Staples center and convention arena. Having stayed here over many years -- I find the property well maintained, rooms updated and comfortable, staff attentive and helpful, and generally reliable in all respects. Starwood treats its members well and the room i had was one of the most functional small suites - separate bedroom with excellent sleeping conditions - and separate work desk - small sink and coffee maker, sofa and lounge chair -- and wonderfully panoramic windows. In the past I've dined at their fine dining steak house - which frankly wasn't that fine -- over priced and better steaks to be found numerous venues in LA. For location, quality of the rooms, furnishings, functional nature of rooms, amenities standard for Westin Brand, and reasonably priced in LA --- a good business choice.

1 Thank Jeff F
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 12 March 2014

After a terrible experience at another LA/Hollywood area hotel, my Daughters & I stumbled into the Westin. Our first point of contact "Ricardo" at the Starwood Preferred Desk (we weren't members yet), called me over & after asking how we were doing, showered us with upgrades & perks. This gentleman treated us like family. In no time flat, our moods improved & our plans were back on track! What a GEM a quality Customer Service person can be for a business. The rooms were lovely, the beds luxurious & the views from our room were amazing! The buffet at the Bistro is delicious & the pool was great! Important to note: The hotel is very large & can be a little confusing. Parking was $42/day but the perks we received made it well worth it. We will return!

• Stayed March 2014