“Nickel and Dimed”

The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
Ranked #51 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The rooms are acceptable, the location is decent. I was put next to the elevator like another reviewer. You definitely know when someone is coming to your floor!

I can tell they haven't updated since 1991, but that doesn't really bother me. What does bother me is that as a guest, you really aren't made to feel like your relationship to the hotel is any different than a stranger who has come here to eat a steak at the restaurant downstairs. I paid 35% more for my room every night to park my car downstairs. Inconvenient. I also paid $25 for internet. Super inconvenient.

I am an SPG member. I sort of went all in with SPG. I have to say that apart from the W in Hong Kong, it has been one disappointment after another. Don't bother joining SPG. It takes ages to accrue points and then it takes thousands to use for anything. Then, when you check in, you get nothing. This Westin would immediately improve its scores with SPG members by offering free internet even to those of us not yet on platinum status and by comping the parking. Taxing guests with cars in LA seems very silly to me.

While the staff is pleasant, I will be shifting my business to IHG or Hilton. I have been in two Intercontinentals this month, Tokyo and Monterey. Both gave great rates, wonderful service, and complimentary internet. It would have been cheaper to stay in the Beverly Hilton or the Intercontinental after all the subsequent costs! I regret my SPG membership!

Room Tip: Stay away from elevators!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Dernyul
Write a ReviewReviews (2,964)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

A friend booked the hotel through hotel via Priceline for 4 days three nights. The hotel is located centrally in the finance district ( if I'm not mistaken) very accessible to the freeway, many coffee shops around the area, as well as restaurants. Service is great as well. Rooms are modernly designed, beds very comfortable! Be aware though if you are planning to have a car rental is the average price for valet and parking as it is at downtown area, the price you are looking at 40-48$ per night for that. And also, I wish they would do free wifi in the rooms as well. Overall, I would definitely go back if there good deals around ;)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We booked this room through Priceline and were greatly pleased with the service, location, and room. We were easily able to upgrade to a high room with a view, and enjoyed laying in bed watching TV and taking in the views of the city. We walked to lunch, dinner, and breakfast, and even accessed the metro easily, something we had never done in Los Angeles before even though we visit frequently. We rarely splurge for a Westin, but we were so glad we got a deal and were able to because the beds are DIVINE. Parking was pricey, but it tends to be everywhere in the city and it is just one of those things you have to suck up and consider as part of the cost of the hotel. The room was clean, the hotel was quite, and we were pleased with our stay here. We will stay again if we can get another good deal on Priceline!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Hollywood sign. Although you can rarely see it clearly because of the smo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Large 1500 rooms, impersonal, needs some upgrades, weak gym
Pool had loud dance party which was OK but no possible place to sit quietly
All in all decent and convenient but unlikely to go back
The whole place reeks of mediocrity

1  Thank lgppres
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I was here on the company dime for an international science fair that my organization runs. I was very happy with the service I got here. The staff was always pleasant. Room service was especially helpful. Upon getting to my room for the first time, there was a bad smell like someone was smoking in a nearby room. They deodorized the room and provided me with a can of spray and a scented candle should I continue to have the problem. That did the trick and I never had an issue again.

The view was nice as I was on the 26th floor overlooking the pool.

Amenities were very expensive though. From the bar (expected) to the laundry service (I was in town for over a week, so I needed some clothes laundered - over $130 for a few shirts, pants, short, socks and underwear).

The restaurant offers a good breakfast for $25/person. I ate/drank at the bar one night. Imported beers were about $10. The food was a bit high, but I don't remember how much to provide an example.

My wife arrived toward the end of my stay and did a walking tour of Historic Downtown LA. She really enjoyed it, so I would recommend it.

Room Tip: There are four towers (red, blue, green and yellow). My yellow tower looked down Figueroa Street an...
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Its location is great - close to everything in downtown LA. My room was fine but nothing outstanding except for the bed which was amazingly comfortable. Good linens & pillows too. The "food court" is pretty bad. The only place that was appealing was a brewery. I always like a refrigerator in the room.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

This hotel has a beautiful lobby and fabulous rotating restaurant. However, our room smelled like cigarette smoke and was dirty. The refrigerator had old food in it. The night table had trash in it. The only thing nice about the room was the view. Our room was close to the elevator which sounded like a roller-coaster going by randomly. We slept poorly.

Room Tip: Away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple