“Was really concerned based on prior reviews... but what a relief! It was great!”

The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
Ranked #60 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Thanks to prior reviews we asked for - and cheerfully received - a renovated room. It was just fine - typical of any other Westin I've stayed at.

Notables:

This place is HUGE - a town (Westin) within a city (LA). Multiple restaurants, towers of rooms, etc.

Service was quick and friendly - from the valets to front desk - easy and no complaints.

Very comfortable bed - very. Slept like a baby

The downside... ELEVATORS. ELEVATORS. ELEVATORS! Took FOREVER!!! And my husband once got stuck on the 19th floor (we were on the 27th). Seriously - waited 10+ minutes for an elevator. Very strange.

PS We paid $85 on priceline.... that was a bargain! Parking $35.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Single night here after some years. Nothing has been refurbished. The bed was good. We had a meeting that was well attended, service was not outstanding, facilities OK. Several attendees asked to pay $47 to park for the day. I stayed overnight so it only cost $35 .... Discount rooms from $99 on line, do the mathematics.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
lmccue77, Manager at The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 21 July 2010
Thank you for your review. Currently, The Bonaventure is in the process of a complete renovation of our guest rooms which will be finished in August. We also will be updating our entire first floor including guest reception, restaurants and the atrium and lobby. We are also renovating all of our conference and banquet space beginning in November which will enhance your meeting experience. I would like to welcome you back in the future and make sure your stay is up to our normal standards. If you would like revisit please email labon@westin.com and refer to lmccue. Thanks again for your comments.
Rancho Santa Fe
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I stayed at this hotel 20 years ago. It was ok then. Presently the rooms are being renovated and I stayed in a renovated room which I was upgraded to a suite. This was a true suite with very complete living room separate from the bedroom and bath area.

The renovated furnishings are nice and of high quality. The room cleaning was ok, not great, missing attention to detail. (One lamp was unplugged, a few lamp shades were cockeyed. The kitchenette area in the suite made no sense. They ran electric cords between a cabinet and door. (In other words the cabinet door had to stay open. They needed to drill a hole in the counter or relocate an electric socket to power a microwave and a coffee maker. (They clearly hadn't thought through their remodel.) However the bigger problem is that this hotel doesn't have honor bars. So if you want a coke or beer or drink or snack you have to order room service, wait 30 minutes and really overpay. Additional there is no sink in the kitchenette area.

Now the problems: The drive-in for check-in is in an underground parking lot. It looks really bad. They didn't have enough attendants to get people out of their cars and avoid long waits. The common areas are really dated and need of a true overhaul. Not just paint, the lobby has pools or water throughout, there is splashing water noise and it is way too loud. It makes everyone have to speak loudly or not hear one another. The lobby is dark, dank and unappealing. The check in counter looks bad and you can see bare wood casing that supports the monitors being used by the front desk personnel.

I ate at the hotel's LA Prime restaurant at the top of the red tower. Steak was a B-. No sizzle, not particularly hot, but properly prepared re: medium etc. Salad was a C. Wedge salad with blue cheese. One of the tomatos was so old it was shriveled on the edge and the dressing tasted like ok grocery store bought. Certainly not worth $12. Had a side of creamed spinach with bacon. This was the best thing served. However, the Cowboy fries were limp and not hot. My guess is they were prepared too far in advance. I will say the service in the restaurant was very good.

Last nit. The elevators, which are glass and can provide great views of downtown LA are not ventilated. When it is 98 degrees outside in July this becomes an issue.

All in all for $259 it was ok. Next time I need to be in downtown LA I'll try somewhere else. Don't stay here until you've confirmed they have completely renovated the common areas and lobbies and make sure you are booked into a refurbished room.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We got this hotel through priceline and no matter how cheap we may have gotten this hotel room I would NOT STAY HERE AGAIN! The room looks old and the hotel itself is so dull looking. Parking is $35 a day! My bf called for towels and he forgot to ask for toothpaste and he calls them back right away and said oh im sorry is it possible to also get toothpaste? and the person on the other end of the line was like "u already called for towels.. what else do you need?!?" SERVICE IS HORRIBLE!!!!

ALSO I left my moms IPHONE on the table and when we came back in it was GONE!!! we had to call security (he was very nice) and he told us they were gonna have to investigate it.. we left the room at 11:30 and when we called at&t they said someone tried to access the internet at 2 p.m that same day! and i kept calling the phone it was off.. CMON! u know when your phone is off someone stole it and turned it off! we filed for a police report cause this phone is very important!! We tried to talk to management but we just kept getting connected through security and said their insurance will have to investigate!
We are a family that LOVES TO STAY at hotels sometimes we stay at hotels during the weekend and we have left things like laptops and cameras in the rooms and HAVE NEVER EVER HAD ANYTHING STOLEN! we were pretty chocked.
PLS STAY FAR AWAY from this hotel!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010
4 Thank msaligumba
Thank you very much for your review. While difficult to read from a management perspective, you have helped us identify several areas for additional training regarding your experience. We have ongoing training for all departments to improve our service delivery. We have continued to follow up with the police who investigated your missing phone. I would like to welcome you back in the future and make sure your stay is up to our normal standards. If you would like revisit please email labon@westin.com and refer to lmccue. Thanks again for your comments.
arroyo grande ca
Reviewed 10 July 2010

Lobby is pretty, check in desk person was nice. Views were super! We wanted a high floor, got the 20th because we requested a renovated and 2 bed room. From what I understood, to get a higher floor you should only require a king. The room was not large, and these beds, "full" size as they are called, is small if you are sharing a bed. The comfort of the beds is great, the bedding is nice, but I just want say that if you think you will be sharing a 'full' size bed, it is not such a great idea. Our daughters would have preferred a larger bed, and actually my husband and I quite filled ours as well. He is 6'5" and I am small, but pregnant! The windows do not open, of course, so to get your air fresher, the air conditioner is perfectly adequate. Not a bad sound in my opinion, just a white noise. Quickly remedied the stuffiness of the room air. No bad odors as I read in other reviews, no bloodstains as i read on previous reviews, no ickkiness to carpet. Bathroom is stone and plenty big. Housekeepers were nice to provide whatever we wanted off their cart.
We paid 169 a night to include parking. Otherwise it is like 40 to park. Food all over the place, the best deal we found was at the Bonaventure Brewing Company on the 4th floor....happy hour menu was good, not a huge culinary delight, but we are a family who wanted a bunch of food after our drive, and loved that we could eat super cheap...the highest price menu item was $3.99. Happy hour is from M-F 4pm til 7. The beer was really good, and such a great selection. The kids ate from happy hour menu as well. All of us ate for just under 50 and we had a table filled with food! The gentlemen who were serving that afternoon were very friendly, and answered our questions regarding the local area. Room service menu is costly in our opinion, and thus we did not use it. Lots to do around the hotel. Walking distance to L.A Live, but it is about 20 mins walk. That was super fun, the walk thru the city was wonderful, so many tall and lovely buildings. We saw a 3D movie and had espresso at the Ritz Carlton lobby's Illy espresso cafe. The walk back to our hotel after the movie was also so fun because it had gotten dark while we were in the theatre and upon walking out, it was neat to see the city and the tall buildings lit up! That is one of the main things we came to L.A for!
The pool area is nice. Not the warmest heated pool ever to be found, but sparkling, has towels, umbrellas, and very comfortable teak lounge chairs with cushions.
We see that if a person WANTS to pick apart the place as I read over and over in most previous reviews, that would be possible, but we were fine with it. This is not a luxury place, but it has its uniqueness. The elevators are exterior, and cool. Our travel objective was to take our daughters to the heart of downtown Los Angeles to stay in a high floor hotel room.
Internet does cost 12.95, breakfast is NOT included in room rate, although there are many different packages available on the Westin reservations website that can be selected to include such things. My youngest daughter and I ate at the breakfast buffet, and found the food selection to be very good, the coffee and fresh OJ was great. Food quality was fine. Typical buffet experience. Again, more nice and friendly servers/attendants. The rotating lounge on the top floor is pretty and has a great view of course! There is a fitness center, but why bother with a treadmill when you can use 5 flights of circular stairs on lower lobby levels, and so much walking to be had around the hotel. It was fun for my daughter and I to walk around as the hotel was waking up!
All in all, this hotel was a good deal for our trip, and if you want a "better" experience, you will be paying more elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Columbia
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Things were fine till the next to last day of my week-long stay. The maid dumped the trash and made the bed, which is all I need. On the scary day, I took a mid-day break and found all my toiletries rearranged, some from one side of the bathroom to the other. I had everything set up just the way I like, and found this very presumptuous. On top of which, she took my toothbursh & flosser out of the cup I'd been using & put them on the counter WHERE I PURPOSELY DIDN'T PUT THEM!! This was not only rude, but unsanitary. Yeah, wipe the toilet, then handle my toothbrush. So I had to throw out the toothbrush & buy a new one.

I suppose it was because of all this that I didn't look at the bed to notice the bloodstain on the replacement sheets till evening. It took 90 minutes & 2 calls to get someone to come up, and then she argued with me. She tried to claim that it had to have been like that, because the sheets were wrinkled. This was absolute crap, since the stain was quite obvious at a glance. So that just told me that someone had put stained, wrinkled sheets on my bed.

Also, the door wasn't sound-proofed well. Even ordinary sounds like people walking and having quiet conversations were audible.

On the plus side the bed was VERY comfortable, and conference services were great.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Dedham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 July 2010

This was just as all the reviews said. Completely out-dated unless you get updated or renovated rooms and that's hard because even if you request and are assured, it's no certainty you'll get on! Rugs had stains and room had musty ghetto hotel smell. Bathroom, walls, and almost everything but bed were disgusting!

I booked through Hotwire.com and they should be ashamed to call this a 4-star hotel!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business