“Bonaventure LA might be old but still very OK” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
Ranked #56 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Cape Town
“Bonaventure LA might be old but still very OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

Bonaventure DownTown LA might be old but it is still very OK to stay at. Our group of almost 80 stayed for almost 3 weeks in the Bonaventure DTLA. There are many reasons to visit Downtown LA, where you will find both historic and contemporary architecture. The Bonaventure is walking distance from so many good places, restaurants and pubs. California Plaza is a short stroll away and offers fantastic shows during the week and weekends. Take Angels Flight to Grand Central Market and Broadway Street. Visit some of the really upmarket restaurants in the Financial District. Take a walk to Fashion District - or the Jewelery District. Grand Avenue next to the Walt Disney Concert Hall. The Metro is a couple of blocks away and busses are running to Hollywood, Santa Monica, Beverley Hills, Farmers Market and any other place worth seeing. The Hotel itself is old but still good value. the rooms are small but the bedding was fantastic. Service was OK. A lot of restaurants in the complex are now quite but it does not take away from a good experience. Loved the Brewery in the Hotel. Super beer and good food. Nice swimming pool.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2010

On so many levels, this iconic property is mis-managed. Missing are the standard Westin amenities - no Heavenly Showerheads, no porcelain or glass in the guest rooms (paper and styrofoam only). Umplugged TV.

An iconic architectural gem shouldn't necessarily have actual signage and furniture from the 70s.

This is the hotel the cheap Asian tour groups frequent because it is so hopelessly unaligned with the rest of the Westin brand in the US.

The lobby shops seem subterranean and remind me of a Blade Runner like underworld. Exorbitant prices, very poor quality. Same with room service. The standard Westin menu is used. "Berries with Sabayon sauce" means berries with yogurt, or berries with whipped cream. No one in the hotel's staff knew what Sabayon sauce was. Funny, because 10+ recipes abound when you search "Sabayon" on the internet, and it's a simple recipe. Obviously no one on staff thought to attempt this "getting it right" when implementing Westin's menu at this hotel.

It saddens me to think the potential of this hotel is so great, but the reality is so awful.
Starwood, please get your branding police on the job. This property doesn't cut it, and certainly wouldn't even make the Sheraton brand proud. In the right hands, this could be one cool W hotel, but is probably too big to have that intimate feel. Maybe go retro and be true to the hotel's grand era - like you did with The Palace in SF.

I gave this hotel so many second chances by communicating with the staff, but sadly, it's going to take more than a few dissatisfied customers to get this place fixed up. Starwood, get with it, please! I think I'm checking out tomorrow. Better service would be worth the price. I can admire this hotel's architecture better from across the street anyway.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank TomNewYorkNewYork
JHP_Zuidervliet
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2010

This was an amazing experience... in a negative way.

First of all we arrived rather late around 10 in the evening as we were driving ourself parking our car below in the garage. So far so good we gave of our luggage and checked in. We got our room and went up to find out it simply smelled so we went down unhappy. The clerk quickly fixed us up with a new room for their members which I must say was a bit better and pretty alright renovated.
Now the trouble happened after 1 hour our luggage still didn't arrive so I called when they told me within 15 minutes it would be there, after 15 minutes of course it wasn't yet nobody was busy with it either it seemed so I kept calling till I got fed up with it. I went downstairs and expected my luggage to be there, which it wasn't. Actually nobody knew where it was after another 30 minutes it seemed that the clerk who booked us in didn't make it clear we changed our rooms and the luggage was left unatended in an unlocked room.
The manager gave us as compensation a breakfast card for in the morning. The trouble was because it was that late because of this mess we weren't able to get any food except calling in some food in the room which we did which wasn't that great. In the morning after cleaning our tooth we found out that the bathroom was rather unclean. It has a lot of shiny materials which require clean water in the cleaning process which obviously didn't happen here. After going downstairs we had our breakfast which was another disappointment. The deli at the corner serves better food then here which made me happy I didn't book the room including breakfast.
The last great feature of the room is that it has no soundproofing so if your neighbour picks up a girl, you can also enjoy it.
Now it is a lot of negative things, but then if you look at the price actually it figures. It's rather cheap so yes... service is poor (or atleast we had a bad experience), the food is bad and the style itself is rather dated but its cheap. So if you have to be in the financial district and don't want to spend money it's a great hotel. Another thing is, though the hotel is dated it has its architectural features. I'm sure 35 years ago it was amazing, nowadays it's dated.
Another important thing though make sure you have a car when you book this hotel as it's located downtown in the financial district. You can't get anywhere without it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JHP_Zuidervliet
Ottawa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2010

I and my spouse take a cab to Hollywood. The doorman asks us where we are going. He calls a cab over, and sticks his head in the front passenger window and says something to the cab driver. As we get in the cab, the driver passes the doorman a couple of bucks. Hmm. I wonder why? Our cab driver takes us on a route that costs $39.85, before tip. Our trip back cost us $ 28.85 before tip. Wonder why the first cab driver cost $ 10 more? There was no delay in traffic along the way. I figure the doorman tipped the driver off that we were tourists and to take us for a ride, literally. Nice, the doorman at the Westin is actively working against the guests interest. Do not trust the staff at the Westin in Los Angeles. And by the way, we were in a suite; do not stay in a room anywhere near the elevators - it will be like living above the subway.

1 Thank goodfood-goodfun
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

Purchased on Hotwire for just under $100, so judging by value against that price...

As others have noted, this hotel's probably seen its heyday. It feels a bit dated and worn around the edges, from the exterior, to the lobby, to the staff, to the rooms.

That said, its still a fine hotel. Nothing to write home about, but for the price I paid, a decent value in this part of town with a nice sized room that was clean, nicely appointed, and well maintained.

Parking's expensive, and I couldn't find alternatives in the area cheaper.

15 minute walk to Staples Center.

New York, NY

Stay at the Ritz or JW Marriot, which are nearby. Don't stay here

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Trip718
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2010

Purchased through Hotwire, paid $234 for a two night stay 19th-21st after returning from Mexican Riviera cruise on RC's Mariner of the Seas (look for that review at some point today). The outer appearance, the number of restaurants, the many stores inside (overpriced of course), gym, all 4 stars. Check in was quick and simple. Once we got on the elevator, it didn't have a pleasant smell and could have used some airwick/plugins. It was really unpleasant/annoying, I started breathing through my mouth after a while whenever we got on the elevator. Found out the hotel is pet friendly after the fact (had nothing to do with elevator/room smell, at least I don't think it did), and I LOVE dogs, (I have one and my dog smells much better than that elevator/room), but heard one on our floor 28th that obviously wasn't use to being by itself, whining for over an hr (at night) & we had to call the front desk twice. When we got off the elevator, hallway lighting dark, room carpeting dark, uninviting. Room was small/needs brighter carpeting. Room needs air freshener as well. Bathroom wasn't bad. The Bonaventure Brewing Co. inside hotel had great service and very good food. Glad I had $25 restaurant.com coupon, paid $33 for meal for me & hubby.

When I was doing an expense voucher for my boss (attorney) he stayed at the Sofitel for $200 for 2 nights in LA, wish I had gotten that hotel. It would be interesting to see the list of hotels that are contracted with Hotwire. Normal cost would have been over $500 for 2 night stay and I would have been very unhappy had I payed that price.