“An Amazing Stay On New Years Eve ! Thank You Marco & Sarah!!”

The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
Ranked #51 of 352 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 January 2011

I have stayed at this property may times and Marco Romero is a superstar front desk manager (in fact "Manager of The Year" at Starwood)!! His assistant Sarah was absolutely amazing as well. Not only did they find us a very lovely room for the night notwithstanding the fact the hotel was totally sold out due to the Rose Bowl being played the next night and a "ton" of Wisconsin fans selecting this hotel to stay at, but the hotel operated "like a charm" despite a entirely sold out property that evening. Check in took 5 minutes at around 4:00 p.m. that day (I was shocked how organized the front desk was)! The hotel really cares about its platinum guests as well ... always extending a courtesy drink invitation in the revolving lounge on the 34th floor. It was great up there with a DJ and a dance floor ... you couldn't ask for more. And, the lounge manager, Sonny, was wonderful. Without a reservation on New Years' Eve around 10:30 p.m. he found us a wonderful table ... thank you very much again Sonny!! The breakfast buffet is always wonderful and there is a great waiter there named Rehan we always enjoy waiting on our table. We also met Jennifer Nagao, the Director of Restaurants in the hotel and she was a pleasure to deal with. She is very hard-working and is really making great improvements to the various restaurants at the hotel (which are wonderful to begin with). A young "star" in the works for Starwood is Jennifer to be sure. Parking is at a discounted rate for overnight guests ($35/night) (and that is not so bad for downtown LA), but I have also found the hotel has a "package" rate at times which includes parking as part of the rate. There are many independent restaurants on the 5th floor of the hotel for mostly inexpensive snacks and meals and I have tried several and they were good. The hotel also has a very exclusive club on the first floor but generally not for us "married guys" (I will let someone else review that club). The hotel is also nicely located if you are going to the Music Center for a musical or a play, etc. We always walk right over (about a 15 minute walk). While we generally walk back to the hotel after the show as well, at that time of night, it is a short cab ride back if you prefer. The room was very clean and I had no problem with the internet at all. In house dining service was wonderful and even when I needed some champagne glasses brought to the room, they were there in a flash. Two thumbs up to Marco and his great staff for making our New Years' Eve evening a wonderful experience at this hotel! We can't wait to get away for another evening at this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites

Reviewed 9 December 2010

I wouldn't have stayed here if I hadn't been attending an event here but I was perfectly satisfied with my stay apart from the room rate (I had to share with a colleague in what are quite small rooms) and the layout. The hotel is organised around four towers with its facilities and meeting rooms scattered across the five common levels with minimal signage. (One panel I planned to attend was cancelled because nobody could find the room!) Be comfortable with your body if you plan to use the gym because it has see through walls and extra exercise equipment located outside on the bridgeways... we could watch the gym users exercising as we walked between meeting rooms on the third floor!

Services seem much higher priced than average - many of my colleagues were complaining about printing costs and the paid wi fi connections are one per computer not one per room (the other person in my room had to buy a separate subscription). Compared to some other US hotels that host conventions the good point is lots of cheap or casual snack/lunch options rather than just having an overpriced hotel restaurant (though it has one too) - that said 6-10 outlets seem to have recently closed, although the microbrewery is still going strong.

Beds in the rooms were extremely comfortable with the usual US overabundance of pillows; bathroom was pleasant and very clean although one couldn't actually sit down in the shower bathtub.

If you're scared of heights you'll want to avoid this hotel as all rooms are accessed by lifts that run up the outside of the building (and plunge into a feature pool on their way down to the lobby).

As the last word on the hotel layout I was told by someone else at this event that the Bonaventure has been used as an example in a famous book on postmodernism in the arts... Or if you know London, picture four AA batteries standing on top of the Barbican Centre and there you have it.

1  Thank twick012
Reviewed 5 December 2010

I stayed at the Bonaventure last week. I've stayed there 4 times over the past year for a total of about 10 nights. It's normally a decent hotel with good service. I'm not sure if it changed hands recently or what, but I noticed a number of issues with service and the hotel itself. First, the hotel is under renovation. They've closed off parts of the main floor so it's difficult to cross between towers. When we were there, the escalators from the parking garage were out of service and we had to lug our bags up the stairs. The door on my room would not open. The hotel staffer who came up to let me in explained that it sticks so I really had to push it hard to open it. The room itself was fine, except that mid-way through my shower at 7:00 a.m. I ran out of hot water. I've never had that happen before -- even at a Super 8.

I wish I had known that the condition of hotel was this bad. I would have stayed at another downtown hotel. So I would avoid this hotel until they get their act together.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 December 2010

Huge hotel, with a confusing layout with rooms carved out of circular towers that are shape like a slice of pie. This hotel may have been cool in 30 years back, but seems odd and old. Even the sofas in the lobby look decades old and need to be badly replaced. It badly needs to be updated. The hotel is clean, but just wierd to be in.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 December 2010

Ok so I see everyones complaints...no its not the most modern hotel in the world, yes it does need a make over. BUT, at the end of the day, what matters is a clean room, with a great bed and great shower...check and check. And let me say the customer service is GREAT! I stayed for 2 weeks and little things came up and were taking care of instantly. For example my shower started to make a weird noise after a few days of being there...i called and within 15 minutes they came and replaced the shower head! Done! The front desk was always helpful for any need I had (including accommodating me with a late check out with out a problem or extra cost) and the day i left I had dropped one of my diamond earrings in my room and I was already at the airport when I noticed it was missing! its a very small stud, but the sentimental value was higher then the actual value. I was convinced that it was gone. I called up and I believed I spoke with derek in security and he helped me in the most professional way and had the room searched and FOUND IT!!! Then Brenda took care of the matter and only 3 days later (today) i have my earring in my possession!! Amazing!!! I want to thank them for their great attention and professionalism! thank you Derek and Brenda for being amazing!!
So at the end of the day, is it the most exquisite hotel in Downtown LA, no....but the customer service is top notch and you can feel safe that you will be taken care of!!!

Reviewed 28 November 2010

The decor of the hotel is seriously dated. The rooms are fine, but for US standards on the small side. Lot's of little things don't work well in rooms, leaking faucets, empty mini-bar etc. More depressing is the building. The floor with shops and small restaurants is mostly abandoned and what is left has a very gloomy feel (except the quiet decent brewery). It is a hotel at a non-human scale, well past its prime and with little effort by the hotel to provide for a pleasant environment. Unless you are there for a convention, there is really no reason to be there.

Reviewed 25 November 2010

We stayed for a convention for three nights. This ugly remnant of the 1970s techno style occupies a full block and is a poorly functioning urban jungle. Wer've met people who stayed in the hotel for a full week and still couldn't find their way around. The room had poorly functioning AC, and a distinct leak in the ceiling. The ceiling itself was in the shape of a distorted coffin. The greed of the hotel has no limits: no free Internet anywhere, WiFi for $12.50 a day, to print one page will cost you $6, parking $35 a day. The insane design of the building makes a trip to some levels a two-leg travel: first elevator, then, after a lo-o-o-ong walk, an escalator.

2  Thank comfytravel