“Hilton seems to get it right”

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles
Ranked #58 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Hilton seems to get it right”
Reviewed 9 April 2011

I have been having good luck with Hilton lately. The Hilton Checkers in Downtown LA was quite nice. The room was well appointed. With the exception of my bedside table lamp rusting away the room was clean and pretty. It was about the size you would expect out of a room in a downtown hotel.

The rooftop spa was fantastic. It was a bizarrely cold day in LA, and raining. And I was the only one up there, on this gorgeous deck among sky scrapers in a bubbling hot tub… I definitely enjoyed that!

The only bad experience was from some people who were eating the Lobby. I do not believe they were guests, they were just eating dinner at the hotel. I was waiting for some friends to arrive and these guys started talking to me, and then got really rowdy and completely inappropriate. Seriously, the guy asked me if I wanted to make “Arian” children with him! Of course I got up and walked outside. The doorman saw me and immediately asked me if something was wrong, and I waved it off and said that I was just waiting for some friends and some crazy guys in the lobby were harassing me. He was so upset he was willing to have them escorted out. It was very well handled.

All in all, it’s a good hotel for its price. If you want LA culture, I wouldn’t really suggest staying in downtown, head out to one of the beach areas or Hollywood. But if you are on business and need to stay in the center of it all, this hotel is a great choice.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Waltham, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed 2 April 2011

When I first checked in, there were police officers all over the front entrance and the lobby. Being from out of town, I asked one of the police officers what happened. He said it was the NBA All Star Weekend and they have NBA players staying in the hotel. Wow! Talk about meeting basketball players! I checked in finally with my clients and learned that the hotel was sold out and we're unable to upgrade our rooms. My clients and I had a great stay at the hotel and the employees were extremely helpful. Even the bell hop, would always check to see if we needed anything. I believe that the greatest interaction I received was from the manager named, "Joey." He ensured that my clients and I were having a great stay and provided us with a tour of the hotel and places to see while in downtown. I would definitely recommend this hotel to my firm and my clients.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
MISSION HILLS
Reviewed 2 April 2011

I was hesitant about staying downtown but I'm so glad my husband talked me into staying at the Hilton! True to Hilton form, the staff was extremely courteous and gracious, the rooms were large enough and the bed was very comfortable. The rooftop pool is so nice and we even relaxed out on the outdoor patio with our cocktails. The hotel is very close to the Disney concert hall and they have driver's service. We'll definitely use that service next time we stay. Overall a wonderful couple's getaway spot, especially if you enjoy dining in downtown or going to the theatre. We will definitely stay at the Hilton again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Storrs, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 February 2011

I was traveling with my grandmother for the first time in USA and can't believe I was treated so badly during the first few days in the country, from HILTON staff! read on...
Although this hotel meets all the expectations of a comfortable and luxurious room, my experience was entirely disappointing when I was traveling with my grandma and she had taken things from my purse and put it in the hotel drawer without my knowledge and she forgot them after checking out. We were in Las Vegas when I realised I was missing A LOT of items left in the Hilton drawer and when I called the hotel the next day after checking out, no one seemed to be helpful at all!
Kept getting voicemails instead of talking to actual people and I felt as though there was some conspiracy of the staff. I never did recover any of my items, which included an envelope with cash (which is what I suspect tempted the thief), an external harddrive, family photos and a HUGE white folder filled with copies of important legal and visa documents amongst other things, which the hotel conveniently just told me over the phone that there was "simply nothing in the room or in lost and found."
Disappointed with their lack of interest or surprise in the matter that SO many things had gone missing, I made the trek BACK to Los Angeles from NYC only to be greeted by pushy managers and unhelpful and uncaring staff, even after traveling all that way!
I could not believe the insulting attitude I received from a MANAGER when I was clearly stressed as I needed important documents that were taken as an exchange student.
Clearly, their staff need training in handling customer relations, and for a Hilton hotel, that is unacceptable and ruined my COMPLETE stay in LA!!

Furthermore, nothing was offered as help or incentive for all the items I had stolen and I am extremely against Hilton hotels now!
Will be filing a police report!!

Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Checkers01, General Manager at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this review, 2 March 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your stay at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles. In reading your posting, I was also disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations and hope you can accept my most sincere apology. Your experience has given us cause to review and correct our processes, most importantly, the manner in which we speak to our guests. I am grateful you decided to stay with us and hope that in time you would be willing to give us another opportunity.

Again, sorry about the dissapointing stay,
Reviewed 26 February 2011

This is a smaller boutique style hotel with character.
This was our second stay at this locations so that is a good sign ;0)
Located in the buisness district. The staff is friendly, especially love the kitchen staff. The food was delicious.
I very much enjoyed the roof top pool and hot tub, the spa is also locatedon the roof top however you cant just walk in it is by appointment only.
Sometimes the roof closes for special events so check into that.
rooms are charming and roomy.
We enjoyed shopping, and a tour of the city. The front dest is helpful will finding hot spots and destinations.
I would go back again.

Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
cape coral florida
Reviewed 18 February 2011

The Hilton Checkers was the perfect location for my wife and I since the hotel was our base for visiting the Norton-Simon Gallery in Pasadena as well as the Huntington Library in San Marino, the Art Deco walking tour in LA Downtown itself, as well as a Chicago Bulls game in Staples Center. The hotel is also a very short walk to the home of the Los Angeles Philharmonic and LA Live.This hotel may not be the closest to "tinseltown" tourist sites, but this is a matter of what sights one desires to see. Now for the hotel itself: a boutique hotel with "character"-- a 1927 building that has retained its period architectural
"look" and "feel" not only on the exterior of the building, but in the interior as well. A pool on the rooftop gives a nice view of the high office buildings--especially in the evening. The restaurant has an interesting menu and serves quality meals in a relaxed setting. I would not consider the rooms to be large but they are CLEAN, well kept, with flat screen tv's and nice- sized bath facilities. Every staff member had a pleasant attitude, smiling face, and a desire to assist their guests. No request was too much! We would love to visit again on a return trip

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2011

The hotel is within 5mins walk from 2 metro stations, which have direct trains to Union Station (10mins), Hollywood(20mins) and Universal Studio(30mins). Also got buses to Chinatown and Little Tokyo. If you plan to watch a basketball game, it takes about 15mins walk to Staples Center. There are also several decent restaurants around and one small supermarket which offers fast food as well. Room was not particularly big but clean and tidy. Check-in and check-out were very smooth although we didn't use much services. Will definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Response, Manager at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this review, 17 February 2011
Thank you very much for sharing experiences regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Checkers. We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed the service and accommodations here, and we hope that when you are back in town, you will give us another opportunity to serve you. As you pointed out, our location is so convenient to many of the major downtown attractions, LA LIve, The Grammy Museum, the Convention Center, all the stages at The Music Center, and so on. Perhaps, when you return you will have an opportunity to explore more.

Thank you again and best wishes to you.