“Very cool place, would do it again...BUT”

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles
Ranked #59 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We checked in late Thurs, and it was fast 2 min and in the elevator to our room.

Staff really nice and helpful, a few having bad weekends and not that friendly but didn't effect our trip.

Hotel is nice, real nice upscale, bar, lounge, roof top pool was very nice just to hang out and take some drinks up on the roof.

Some post small room? Are was very open and big, not much view but nice, bathroom nice and big also.

Nice wide all ways, everything look new and redone!

Lots of places to eat, drink and be merry, and lightrail 2 block away.

Would stay again, but a little pet peeve, got a text my card was charge this morning for $970 when the rate was $670 for 4 days, so when I called he said that was standard in the business, which we travel every other week and its not standard to charge the card then refund3/5 days later.

NEXT TIME tell your customer, then give us the option if its ok.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank RollPositive
There are newer reviews for Hilton Checkers Los Angeles

Reviewed 31 July 2011

My husband & I stayed here on a Friday night. This was my first stay. Good location. Disney concert hall is in walking distance, but its a little bit of an up hill walk. Also right across the way is the Los Angeles contemporary Museum of Art. Rooms were very nice. Bed was definitely Hilton quality. Only bad thing is the parking garage cannot fit large vehicles such as a Hummer. Personnel was very pleasant and friendly I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I checked in with friends on a short trip to LA and we found the Hilton Checkers on the Internet. Figuring the location to be good, we booked without doing too much research.

Upon reaching the hotel, we found it to be really a gem! The bell hops were really friendly, offering advise and plenty of tips to us. They also kept an eye on our cars while we sorted ourselves out (they didn't have a lot of parking, so we parked kerbside while checking in).

The hotel isn't very big on size - but what is lacks in size, it more than makes up in heart. The staff were simply incredible - I'd like to call out to Effren who was just great help to us during our stay!

The rooms are understandbly small - this is a downtown location after all, but it is very well kept - clean, plush and cosy - and had little touches that made it more homely. We loved the bed - one of the better ones to sleep on throughout my travels!

The location is quite good - being in the center of the LA financial district, we weren't too far from much of anything.

I have to say I will totally recommend this hotel to anyone who is coming for business around the financial district, and also for visitors to the general LA area. Absolutely gorgeous - it took me a while to actually accept that this is a Hilton property, and a very good one too!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank mozilla_monster
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The Checkers in LA Downtown is not very special. The beds are good, the staff is (European) friendly, but you couldn't tell that you were in LA - could have been any other random Hilton worldwide.

When staying at the Checkers, I recommed to prepare your stay. Downtown, especially in the weekend, can be a bit desolate in the evenings when you are walking around in search for a restaurant. Lots of empty streets, closed windows etc.

Oh, and if you want to swim: check before if the pool is open, during my stay it was closed due to renovation. But they are also renting it out for parties - so it might be closed at other times as well.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2011

small lobby area , real nice size rooms .located in middle of downtown .A car is a must to go to tourist spots.no parking 35 a night valet.and 400 a room kind of steep.friendly staff and decent room service food but pricey.close to lakers ,nokia center but not walking distance as I had been told.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This was actually a combination leisure and business trip. I was made to stay at this property because my Company has an "approved" list of hotels we have to choose from now. So I didn't really want to like the hotel...but I REALLY did.

It's a boutique hotel. It doesn't have a huge, grandiose entrance. In fact, if you blink you might drive right by the entrance. The lobby is adequate, bar is nice. The rooms are NOT big, but the hotel has well-designed decor and very attentive staff. Please note that if you plan to valet park it is NOT cheap. About $35/day.

Rooms: The room I stayed in was NOT big. But the linens were of very good quality. Everything was clean and well dusted. Housekeeping staff were unobtrusive, but they always got everything right when they cleaned my room. A plus was that the windows to my room opened up. When you have a smaller room, it helps to be able to air it out and get good light during the day.

Room service in this hotel is good. Everything I ate was very well cooked, good portions and fresh.

This hotel is located downtown. I've never stayed in downtown LA before. I did a lot of walking and found everything I needed nearby - Starbucks, Walgreens drug store, Macy's, bookstores, Subway, another Starbucks (lol). You get the picture.

I went up to the roof top spa. The view is great. But I never got any service at the spa onsite (I went somewhere else). The menu offerings seemed more a la carte and sparse. I'm more of a large day spa with tons of offerings type of person.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank cptravelmaven
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed for four nights. From the moment we checked in, we were treated to the very best service. About 30 minutes after we got to our room, we were called by the front desk to make sure that everything was to our liking and our needs were met. We received two more calls during our stay for the same reason.

On the first night (around 11:30 p.m.), I called the front desk about having a mini-fridge put in my room the next morning. 15 minutes later, the mini-fridge arrived (free).

Room service breakfast was delivered promptly and cooked to perfection every time.

I've never slept better in a hotel room bed.

A tip: If staying on a weeknight, crack a window during early evening. Among the sounds of the city that you may hear, listen for a beautiful saxophone in the distance.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple