“Helpful staff and quiet rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles
Ranked #53 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Helpful staff and quiet rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

The hotel staff were so great when we checked in. We were there about 9am I think and they still let us check into our rooms. I'd never been to LA before and they were so helpful with directions, advice, anything really. Our room was small but very clean and so quiet. Great after an 18 hour flight with lots of screaming babies! The only bad thing was the location, but I guess that's partly my fault because I'd never been to that area before so didn't really know where I wanted to stay. It was a very long taxi ride to Beverly Hills. If you want to stay in the downtown area though, I definitely recommend it this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Checkers02, Director of Sales at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Thank you for the review. I am so pleased that we were able to accommodate your request for an early check-in. After such a long flight it must have felt like a great reprieve.

Because Checkers was originally built in the 1920’s, our rooms are certainly not uniform, it is true some rooms are larger than others. However I hope that you found the bathrooms quite enjoyable. As part of the early architecture, Checkers marble bathrooms tend to be larger than hotels built in more recent years. If you ever have an opportunity to visit the Los Angeles again, please request one of our larger corner rooms, they offer 2 walls of windows for great views of the city.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

I booked this hotel because from their website it looked so pretty and romantic. Boy was I wrong. We were paying almost 300 a night with tax and for that price I expected something special. Our room was so tiny, it was like being in a bad comic strip. I have never seen anything like it, you could barely walk between the bed and the tv. When we complained to the front desk, they said they were fully booked so we were stuck. We were so not happy. Beside the ridiculous room, the lady who checked us in did not have the fridge in the room like I asked. Then when we had to call and remind them, housekeeping brought this beat up piece o crap with most of the pain scraped off and it wreaked of bleach or some cleaner so bad it burnt my nose and made my eyes water. My husband put it out in the hall because it was so terrible. The bathroom was a joke, a tiny sink and definitely nothing special. My other big complaint is that they had no coke machines, and had the nerve to charge 4.00 for a 10oz coke in the restaraunt and bar. Talk about price gouging. Also they charge 38.oo for parking. I dont understand what they think is so special about their hotel that they have the right to charge such high room prices and then to continue by charging for coke like it was gold.
I even brought all of this to the attention of the manager the morning we checked out but what could he say to fix it? The dammage was done.
I have stayed in quite a few hiltons and I have never seen something like this set up. Absolutely pitiful. Dont let the pictures on the website fool you, because I sure was. HILTON, EITHER GET THIS PLACE FIXED OR YOU WILL RUIN YOUR GOOD NAME. THIS IS A SHAME.

Room Tip: good luck here
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank empire1212
Thank you so much for your candid feedback. We are sincerely disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay.

Although fully restored to its original grandeur in 2009, Checkers is a boutique style hotel that occupies a historical building dating back to the 1920’s. Based on the original construction of the building, it is true some rooms tend to be smaller than others, yet in most cases they are all still on par with the average square footage of other room products available downtown and many are even larger than a typical hotel guestroom. Plus our marble bathroom tends to be larger and more appointed then other hotels in the area. Based on the high occupancy, it is unfortunate that we were unable to move you to one of our larger rooms to make your stay more enjoyable. However, the pictures on our website are quite indicative of what our hotel looks like and were taken after the 2009 renovation.

I apologize for the refrigerator. The majority of our portable mini refrigerators are relatively new. However, based on your comments it appears you may have gotten one of the older ones. Although relatively new, some of the refrigerators appear somewhat worn due to guests not always treating them with care. The smell was likely due to the cleaning products that are used to thoroughly clean them after each use to ensure we are offering our guests clean and sanitized products. Thank you for the feedback, I will ensure this does not happen going forward.

Based on caliber of our hotel, we unfortunately do not have vending machines in our corridors. Typically our guest services team gives our guest directions to either Famima or Walgreens to purchase more cost effective beverages and snacks for their rooms , both are within a block of the hotel.

I do apologize that the parking was pricey. Like most metropolitan cities, parking does come at a premium. Unfortunately we do not own and/or operate the parking structure and therefore do not set the prices. However, both our hotel and the parking structure do regular “price shops” to ensure the pricing is in line with other options in the area, both hotels and independent parking structures.

In effort to avoid these challenges in the future and to ensure we did all we could to help rectify the situation during your stay, I spoke to our Director of Operations who is the “manager” referred to in your review. It is my understanding that he did comp several charges during your stay in an effort to minimize the challenges encountered.

Again we do apologize that your stay was ruined and that our efforts to make it better did not negate the challenges you encountered. We sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to earn your loyalty.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

The hotel was nice - fancy and trendy! The rooms are VERY small but nice. Staff was amazing and very friendly. Roof top pool is really cool! Parking sucks - you need to park next door and walk around the corner and it's around $25-30 a day for parking. The location is perfect though! Walking distance from all the great spots in DTLA.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank for taking the time to give us a review of your stay ... this feedback is the best way for us to gauge if we are doing all that we can to best accommodate our guests or make changes when needed.

As in most big cities, parking is one of the unique challenge and similar to most hotels in the area, we do not own/operate our parking facilities. Based on your description of needing to “walk around the corner” you must have stayed with us on a weekend when the office building next door was closed, thereby precluding you from direct access to the hotel. On weekdays, the access is much more convenient. I truly hope that we will have opportunity to host you again in the future and if so, Checkers does offer valet parking at a slight premium, but the convenience may be worth it. There is also a parking structure directly access the street at the Pacific Design Center which may offer a more direct access to the hotel on weekends.

Thank you again for choosing Hilton Checkers … we look forward to seeing you again !
Tucson
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed here because we wanted a treat from a hard week of work. Usually, I will just Priceline it but we thought we would pay the extra $100 a night for a nice visit. I have stayed at a lot of hotels downtown. The valet didn't open our car door but was friendly. The desk greeted us like a police officer or bouncer when asking for our credit card and "picture I.D.", which was weird especially because we are two women and we were very nice to him. It could not have been less welcoming and it made us feel really bad like we had done something wrong. The rooms were really nice but kind of worn out with dust. Typical downtown hotel charges $38 for parking and $9.99 for internet. The room service breakfast was very good.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank aquagaby
Checkers02, Director of Sales at Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, responded to this review, 7 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We take customer feedback very seriously.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our food. I agree, our culinary team is amazing !

It is disappointing to hear that you were not greeted warmly. We believe that it sets the tone for the rest of your stay and we strive to make each of our guests feel like we are honored that they have selected us .... especially if they are paying a premium to stay with us.

I hope that if your travels ever take you back to Downtown, I hope that you will give us another opportunity to "warmly welcome" you back.
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

I loved the Hilton Checkers. The staff is super friendly. The hotel has a nice bar/lounge on the first floor. We had some tasty drinks there. We also took our drinks up to the rooftop pool/lounge area. That was one of the best features of the hotel. While the hours posted indicated that the rooftop closed at 10 p.m., the hotel kept it open all night. While we didn't swim or use the hot tub, it was nice to be able to hang out up there with drinks late into the night. Our rooms were tastefully decorated. My only complain was that there are no small refrigerators in the rooms even though there's a spot for them. I thought the shower was particularly wonderful. Great water pressure. The bathroom itself was well done. If I had to be near downtown again for any reason, I would definitely stay at the Hilton Checkers again.

Also, while the parking is valet only, the valets were exceptionally nice and very quick when retrieving our car.

Room Tip: The rooftop pool hours that are posted say the rooftop closes at 10 p.m., however, the staff allowed...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ardmoreflyer
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay and had an opportunity to enjoy the hotel's rooftop deck, showcasing a breathtaking view of the Los Angeles skyline. It is a very serene location in the midst of Downtown and has been featured on several television shows and movies recently..

We hope to welcome you back again to Hilton Checkers !
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

We used points to stay here in August. It would be good for business downtown. Obviously there is not much else to do downtown, and there was not a lot in the way of restaurants or shopping nearby. We only stayed one night (passing through LA basically) but everyone we interacted with was very welcoming and helpful. The views from the rooftop pool were great, although the ambience was a little weird - I had expected a bar but instead there were two groups of people drinking beer they had purchased at a grocery store somewhere (they were pulling it out of bags). The pool itself was tiny and probably more for looking at than actually swimming in. Gym was really tiny with about three pieces of old equipment.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the review !

It is a shame that you were unable to spend more time with us. Downtown Los Angeles is rich with historic architecture, cultural attractions and entertainment .... But, one of the great things about Downtown Los Angeles is that you don’t have to go far for a meal. Ranging from the plethora of new restaurant popping up each day everywhere in the city to unique neighborhood spots. PLUS, the LA Fashion District is a bargain hunter's paradise, with over 1,000 stores that sell to the general public at wholesale discounted prices. Shoppers can expect to find bargains of 30% to 70% off of retail prices on apparel and accessories for the entire family, plus textiles and flowers.

Hopefully next time you will have more of chance to "explore" what Downtown has to offer. It just gets better everything day !
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

The Hilton Checkers was really nice, we went to the Adobe Max Conference and the accommodations were paid for by my company. The beds were so comfortable, I haven't had such a good sleep in decades. The pillows and mattresses were perfect, the heating/cooling was at my fingertips and worked. The room was quiet despite Batman being filmed right outside my bedroom window. The room service was great and so were the hotel staff. Free paper every morning and no complaints about the cleaners. The only thing I'd say they could improve on is giving free internet service. At $10/day it's too expensive and this is the day and age where it's not cool to penny pinch on this service as it's a must for every working person. The internet was iffy at best even though I paid a small fortune for it. The furnishings in my room were very current and stylish and I'm sad I didn't have time to use the rooftop pool. Thanks Hilton for a great stay, at $200/night I would never choose to spend my personal money this way but was such a treat being paid for on business.
There are many excellent breakfast places on the walk to the conference centre and lots of great restaurants and pubs in the area too. I recommend the sushi place Mitaki on 6th for great/inexpensive sushi, Bottega Louie Gourmet Market for breakfast, The Wokano for happy hour and Santee St Alley for the local cultural experience.

Room Tip: The largest rooms are the double queens, I ended up with a double double after she offered me the Ki...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business